The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Smile Flying with a Guitar Tips/Info

Hey guys and gals, just have been flying a lot lately and really want to take my guitar with me on these trips. I know the last thing I want to do is check it as a bag, but I keep seeing guys at the airport bring their guitar as a carry on and put it in a hostess closet up front. How do you get to do that? Any tips or what not? Is there any extra costs if I bring a guitar and my backpack? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer757 View Post
Hey guys and gals, just have been flying a lot lately and really want to take my guitar with me on these trips. I know the last thing I want to do is check it as a bag, but I keep seeing guys at the airport bring their guitar as a carry on and put it in a hostess closet up front. How do you get to do that? Any tips or what not? Is there any extra costs if I bring a guitar and my backpack? Thanks for the help!
Just tell 'em your AGF username, and you'll be fine, as long as the plane you're boarding is a Boeing 757.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM

I just flew to Indianapolis and took a guitar for the first time. It was really no hassle at all and every flight I was on to and from (4 total) was booked solid - no empty seats. I did carry it in a polyfoam case that would offer moderate protection if I was forced to gate check, but didn't have to. I would get a polyfoam case so you can also put it in the overhead and not worry about someone piling stuff on top.

I just followed what others have said. If the counter people at the gate ask you to gate check it, politely let them tag it and remove the tag as you walk down the ramp. Then when you board just ask if they have a closet where you can stow the guitar. I flew Delta and not one flight attendant questioned me bringing the guitar on board and they were all more than helpful in stowing it in the closet for me or finding space in an overhead. I was also in Zone 2 and one of the last to board on each flight and none of the planes were bigger than an Airbus 320. It was really much easier than expected. Just be nice and polite and I doubt you'll have any issues at all.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Default Flying with a Guitar Tips/Info

The best advice I've seen is from Eric Skye who says pay the extra $12.50 or $15 on southwest to board first and carry on and put in the overhead. Yes his guitar is small but he does it with a calton case.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:20 PM

You might want to do a search for prior threads covering the same ground.

There are lots of factors. Boarding early -- either because you are a priority customer or because you've paid an extra fee -- can be a big help. Having a smaller guitar can be a big help. The right sort of plane and route helps. It's often possible to take the guitar on board with you; and when it is not, it's often (usually) possible to gate check it.

The problem is, new regulations or no, there really are no guarantees that you can take the guitar into the cabin with you unless you've actually paid for a seat for the guitar. People can tell you, truthfully, that they've been able to bring the guitar into the cabin with them on two, eight, or twenty-seven flights in a row. That's terrific, but it doesn't mean you'll never have to check your guitar. So a foam case or a "hard bag" might be easier to carry, and might even be easier to stow depending on its dimensions, but if you have to check the guitar -- even if you have to gate check it -- you might be much better off with a good hard case. For carrying the guitar, some folks like an outer bag over the case -- I've been happy with the backaxe system, which is basically backpack style straps that strap to the outside of the case -- inexpensive, and I've found it to work great.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM

Be ready to gate check the guitar when it is a regional jet that has no overhead room, or only enough for a computer and that is all. That is why I have good flight cases. With that said, on flights that have room I have never had a flight attendant give me any trouble. Actually it has been the opposite. Also on flights where I know the guitar will fit in the overhead and I am in Zone 2 or more, ask the gate attendant if you could board early in order to get the guitar in the overhead. It has worked about half the time. Lastly, be polite.

Oh, by the way I use Calton cases.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:52 PM

As others have mentioned always board early and be nice to flight attendants. I fly every week and for the first time I actually had to store my guitar in a closet yesterday. because it was a regional jet situation But the flight attendants were very nice about it. You catch more flies with sugar than you do with crap. Because believe me...if you give a flight attendant crap they will not go out of their way to help you at all. Its like telling the cop who pulls you over "why did you stop me you jerk". Just not going to end well. But I digress.

By the way, my current travel guitars are a GS Mini Hog or a Dreadnought Jr.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, flying, travel guitar airlines