The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 PM

I have one Rosewood and 2 horn picks but I gravitate towards the wood one

From my iPhone

Taylor 514ce (1999)
Taylor Baby-m (1999)
Taylor 814ce (2014 - Finally!)
Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I have typically been a lighter flexie pick guy, also liking the extra percussive accents Utex, Clayton and also Davas. But... a little while ago I got a Gravity sample pack, and mostly like their thinnest picks, which actually don't get very thin.

However, I started strumming recently with the thick Classic Standard 3mm and am totally digging what this has done to help me improve my strum attack. I'm sure I could have realized this with other thicker picks, but I'm ordering a stack of these, in some variations ... actually like most of the picks from my starter packs, they all have uses for different applications, and most interestingly, I am finding new "applications" because of the picks. Here's a link to my fav so far:

http://gravitypicks.com/collections/...iant=921413979

And now, I'm keen to try some of the expensive designer picks like the Blue Chips, etc.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 PM

There are a few I like, I have a blue chip Tad 50 that is really nice. I think, for me, the Wegnar Bluegrass picks are pretty close and I like them nearly as well. I have a friend that makes picks from horn... Well I gave him a Dahl sheep mount I've had for nearly 30 years.. And he gave me a few picks out of that in payment. They are really nice, but there is one that is really outstanding for flat picking and the like. I've never used a tortoise pick, but a few friends that have say the Dahl picks compare very well.

The blue chip was a gift and I like it best, but if/when I lose it I'm not sure it is that much better than the Dahl or the Wengens to make it worth the difference in cost.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:52 PM

Lightbulb

KY Dave,
What are the nonbranded picks you have that in the circle with the blue chip picks?
Jim

Snark Tuner
Old 06-08-2015, 11:54 PM

Primarily, tortoise shell, 1.25mm, right hand speed bevel. Tri-point shape, with three differently shaped tips, one moderately sharp, the second less so, and the third basically a rounded shoulder.

I also occasionally use a National thumb-pick, an acoustic V-Pick (which I believe is 2.5mm with sharp beveled corners), a Red Bear Tuff-Tone pick (heavy) with a bevel, and other TS picks that range from 1.0mm to 1.5mm, all beveled. Sometimes even a lightly beveled teardrop Dunlop Ultex .73mm, (which is surprisingly stiff for the thickness), but I never use the tip. Depends on the guitar and the style of the song.

I might try a Blue Chip again, one of these days, if I can find one that is not too large. I don't care much for really wide or big picks.

... JT

Last edited by JTFoote; 06-08-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 AM

The very, very thin Dunlop picks. (I have never liked heavy picks ... beveled or not).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion