The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you wash your hands before you play?
Always 49 30.25%
Often 30 18.52%
Sometimes 35 21.60%
Rarely 26 16.05%
Never 22 13.58%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I always wash my hands before I play and I find that my strings last longer and my fret board does not get gunky.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM

Yes I wash my hands before playing. My problem is getting my friends to wash their hands after eating and before playing my instruments.I don't take their washing for granted, I ask them.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 AM

wash if need be, but when I do wash my hands I don't like to play right afterwards as my fingers seem more tender so I wait until they feel right
Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 AM

Do I wash my hands before I play guitar?

If I'm playing my guitar, no.

If I'm playing your guitar, yes.

If I'm playing guitars at GC, I go home and take a shower afterwards.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post

Furthermore, I tend to pick up a guitar spontaneously throughout the day. Washing my hands as a rule before doing that would crimp that spontaneity.
My thoughts entirely. If they are dirty or greasy I'll wash them. I always wash my hands after using the rest/bath/washroom/toilet/dunny whether playing guitar or not. It turns my stomach over when someone I know doesn't do that picks up one of my guitars.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 06-08-2015, 04:13 PM

This will probably gross many of you out...I do leather work all day long. I have my guitar hangin on the wall of my shop. More often than not, my hands have leather dye on them.
I often get the urge to play when I think/hear something I want to try. Sometimes those sessions last a couple minutes, sometimes an hour.

I reach for my wet shop rag and run it through my leather dye stained hands, but I don't take the time to wash them and the strings soon show it.....doesn't seem to effect my playing at all....when I get tired of looking at the dirty strings, I change em......no problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion