The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Where could one make this happen?!

Matt
A Gibson 5-star dealer. I got mine for $1849 at one. Guitar Center will often go that low too, especially when they're offering those 15% off coupons. You should never pay what's on the tag on the wall (or displayed on the Internet). If you order from some place like Sweetwater, call them on the phone and dicker the price.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 PM
Guest 1511

Just to add to the discussion. I'm not really sure the TV model is better than the Standard or the Custom. It's different, but I've played other J-45s just as good so, I dunno man, playing and listening to a variety is really the key here.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
For a lifer:

1. Don't set a price point.

2. Don't buy without try.

3. Don't compromise on 1 or 2.

4. Check out a couple of the recent blind polls on this forum, and you'll understand rule 1, 2, and 3.
Amen!

Every time I tried something with the mindset that "this must be it" based on photos, description and forums, I ended up with something else that felt better in my hands.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Where could one make this happen?!

Matt
There's a couple of new Standards at my local GC for $1799 right this very second.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 AM

I've often asked myself that same question about the wife, 'how well will she age?'. Don't wanna blow your hopes but it's been disappointing in both looks and sound. You never know on forehand do you, and I guess you're stuck with her untill she reveals her inner and outer secrets.
After that it's anyone's guess, .

Ludwig
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

GC stores have had J-45 Standards at $1799 for a while as part of their Guitarathon program. They've also been blowing out the TVs for about $2400 to clear the way for the new Vintage models. Just a note on the TVs--they really sound good in their way and in some parts of the instrument, but I've bought two an took both back. One had tuners that just didn't work, and the tuners, at their best, are clunky "vintage" jobs that barely function. The second one had better tuners, although still inferior, but the action was very stiff and there was very little saddle showing to enable lowering it. In fact, this is a common trait found on Gibson guitars.

I like Gibson guitars, unlike a lot of the Gibson haters that populate these fora, but buying Gibson acoustics is a crapshoot, pure and simple. If buying online, I would definitely go to someone like Wildwood, where you can see the instruments, maybe even a video of Greg playing it(!), and they will actually inspect the guitar using criteria you specify. Most 5-Star dealers are not allowed to show any instruments on their websites, so I don't see where that would help you much.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Beerhofen View Post
I've often asked myself that same question about the wife, 'how well will she age?'. Don't wanna blow your hopes but it's been disappointing in both looks and sound. You never know on forehand do you, and I guess you're stuck with her untill she reveals her inner and outer secrets.
After that it's anyone's guess, .

Ludwig
This is true - guitars age and change for sure, but whether they get better or worse is always a question. It's all in the ear of the beholder however.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Guest 33123

When I bought my J-45 standard I tried it against a custom shop model and a TV they had in stock. The standard was the best sounding of the three so it came home with me. It keeps getting better and I've received a lot of complements about it's tone both live and recorded.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:52 PM

For a Lifer...Go TV. I love mine, miss it after a day of not playing it and agree you should go to a Five Star dealer. They get choice wood! I was fortunate enough to buy mine from Chuck at Apple Music (Both are getting out of the biz now).

Last edited by Steelhead; 06-08-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
When I bought my J-45 standard I tried it against a custom shop model and a TV they had in stock. The standard was the best sounding of the three so it came home with me. It keeps getting better and I've received a lot of complements about it's tone both live and recorded.
Yeah - I bought my standard after a shootout with a TV and various other guitars.

The J-45 standard just had that sound that I had been craving for such a long time.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 06-08-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleGibby58 View Post
Once you've done this enough times to decide (it may take only one go), buy that guitar, get it and play it for years and years and don't go on the Internet asking about your guitar or wondering if it's 'OK'. Just play it.
I like this comment!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM

My J-45TV just keeps getting better. There are some great standard 45's out there as well but I can't really speak too much on that as I don't own one. But the TV is just a phenomenal guitar. Super light, comfortable, loud and articulate.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 PM

The best J-45 I've ever played was a humble standard model. The second-best J-45 I've ever played was a used standard model. I've played a couple nice True Vintage models as well.

Don't rule out a used one if it sings. Play as many as you can and pick a winner.

Or if you want to spend a bit more, there's no shortage of "boutique" slope shoulder dreadnoughts out there from some luthiers and small shops that would be a joy to own.

Or, at the risk of blasphemy -- another classic mahogany dreadnought guitar that is worth adding to the mix is the standard D-18. Martin nailed it with their update a few years ago. They are fantastic guitars.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
If I were to recommend one "dream J-45" it would be the John Hiatt model. It has AJ bracing and a chunky neck. I played one by chance and was just floored.
Agreed, this is a great model! To me a J-45 HAS to have a chunky neck. The original banners are the way to go if you have the money. Others with a chunky necks are the J-45 Legend and the J-45 1942 Banner reissue. I have one of the banner reissues (50 worldwide) it is a stellar, stellar guitar. I believe the bigger neck has a big part to play in the quality of the tone and it feels wonderful. I would seek out one of these J-45's as they are more in keeping with the original banner J-45's and the first ones were the best! The modern standard and True vintage models i have played sounded good (particularly the TV's) but have such skinny necks and nut widths i can't abide them.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 AM

I've yet to play a J45 standard model that was as nice as a TV. Not saying they don't exist, but I played about 10 of each before buying a J45 TV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion