The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Default Gibson J45 True Vintage - How will it age?

I've finally sold off the last of my electric guitar equipment to begin the pilgrimage to the promise land of simplicity. I'm looking for a lifer! The budget is $2200 and I'm in the hunt for a Gibson J45, but I don't know what variation of the J45 to go for. I'd be buying used and probably sight unseen which makes me a little nervous but I really don't have another option. I'll be buying online from GuitarCenter used stock so I'll at least be protected by their 30 day return policy.

Anyway, I'm torn between spending ~$1,800 for a used J45 Standard or upping to ~$2200 for a True Vintage model. I understand the True Vintage is brighter and perhaps offers more clarity (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I also know its lighter.

First of all, can anyone attest to the True Vintage being, in most factors, better than the Standard (worth the upgrade in budget)? Secondly, I'm worried that down the road the True Vintage may not stand up as well to the test of time (usage, warping, shrinkage, ect.) as the more heavily-built Standard would.

Can anyone shed some light on those concerns/questions?
Old 06-06-2015, 08:23 PM

I've been down that road - sold an '86 Les Paul Standard, and used the $ to buy a used 2009 J-45 TV in 2012. I take this guitar everywhere, it is my favorite of all the Martins and other Gibsons I have owned. Love the light build. Remember that many of the 1940 highly desirable Banner guitars were also rather lightly built, and there are plenty of those still around. The good used TVs are out there, good luck in your hunt.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 06-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Guest316

Hi WineCaster,

There's two things to know about Gibson:
  1. Gibson instruments will sound differently from guitar to guitar, even within the same model. One Gibson J-45 will sound quite different than the next J-45. Both may have excellent tones, but they may be very different. It's the nature of Gibson. It's a good thing.
  2. There is, generally speaking, no difference in quality of build and potential quality of tone from the least expensive to the most expensive production Gibson acoustic.
Therefore it is quite possible for the $1800 Standard to be better to your ears than the $2200 TV. It is extremely likely that their quality of build is nearly identical. So my suggestion is to try the less expensive of the two choices first.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 PM

day by day.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:21 PM

Find the used Gibson you'd like in a shop like Elderly, or many others like them. Call and ask for a guy who knows Gibsons. Have him play it for you over the phone & ask him to describe its tone and condition to you.

Once you've done this enough times to decide (it may take only one go), buy that guitar, get it and play it for years and years and don't go on the Internet asking about your guitar or wondering if it's 'OK'. Just play it.

That's what I did years ago and it's how I found my best guitars.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Guest 1511

I owned a TV model. Loved it. Miss it. I'm not sure I agree with the statement that it's brighter than the standard. Maybe some are, mine wasn't and neither was another one I played recently. They differ, significantly. I haven't played any bad ones, but I haven't played any two that sounded exactly the same either.

BTW, with some dickering you could get a new J-45 Standard for around $1800. Used they're around $1400.

The Custom model is superb as well. You'd have to like the rosewood sound though because it has that in abundance.

Buying before playing stinks though. But if you gotta do it, be prepared to maybe send a couple back before you're totally satisfied. I like another poster's idea of having someone demo models for you over the phone, or Skype or put a video on youtube. GC probably wouldn't do that though, but plenty others would.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Skip Guitar Center. Find a Gibson 5-star dealer instead. These dealers seem to get Gibson's choice inventory, plus their stock is in much better condition as a general rule. If you're buying over the phone, I can recommend Wildwood Guitars in CO. The staff are awesome there...and it's where I got my J-45.

One more thing...the replacement to the J-45TV -- the J-45 Vintage (which has the torrefied Adi top) will be hitting stores any day now. You should expect many dealers to be blowing out of the older J-45TVs they may still have. Be smart and bargain accordingly.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 06-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Also consider a J30, Original Jumbo, J50, or SJ.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
BTW, with some dickering you could get a new J-45 Standard for around $1800.
Where could one make this happen?!

Matt
Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM

Default Gibson J45 True Vintage - How will it age?

Go TV. Really well build, vere consistent quality, not brighter - offcourse there are differences from one guitar to another, but the TV concept is just great, J45 or Hummingbird TV, same same but different
Old 06-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Where could one make this happen?!

Matt
Wildwood Guitars and EM Shorts to name two places.

You may have to ask, so don't be shy.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 06-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Wildwood Guitars and EM Shorts to name two places.

You may have to ask, so don't be shy.
Cool!
Thanks!

I do need to get better at that. My dad loved it and my father in law is really good at it. I should bring him guitar shopping!

Matt
Old 06-07-2015, 04:23 PM

If I were to recommend one "dream J-45" it would be the John Hiatt model. It has AJ bracing and a chunky neck. I played one by chance and was just floored.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-07-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
If I were to recommend one "dream J-45" it would be the John Hiatt model. It has AJ bracing and a chunky neck. I played one by chance and was just floored.
Great guitars. I played one once too and loved it. It was very expensive though - and out of my budget at the time.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 06-07-2015, 07:33 PM

For a lifer:

1. Don't set a price point.

2. Don't buy without try.

3. Don't compromise on 1 or 2.

4. Check out a couple of the recent blind polls on this forum, and you'll understand rule 1, 2, and 3.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion