The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 AM

I wonder how sales of that hideous thing are doing?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 AM

Hasn't the CEO-7 been a big win for Martin?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:00 AM

Don't get me wrong, but, if you wanted a Gibson, wouldn't you just buy a Gibson?
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 06-07-2015, 09:19 AM

Think postage stamp collector - philatelist. There are always these characters waiting to buy anything related to stamps. Apply the same tormented soul desire to guitar collecting. Then create "The Martin".
Old 06-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I love my 2014 Martin CEO-7 (#1109) with its traditional square Martin headstock and decal and its wonderful tone. If I had to keep only three of the guitars in my current signature, it would be one of them.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
If you could see the grin on Chris Martin's face when he talks about them you'd get it... The guy has a sense of humor. The iconic guitars by Gibson and Martin from 40s are long outside patent protection. So they've both "borrowed" quite a bit from each other over the years in indirect ways. He's poking fun. Chris Martin knows there are Martin "purist" who won't touch a Gibson, but he also know secretly some of them would't mind owning a J-45, a J-200, etc... Which is why he refers to them as "our take on a competitors iconic model".

The fact these exist is one of the reasons Chris Martin is my favorite leader in the industry. The guy doesn't take himself too seriously. He's done his part in keeping the family business a private company and yet has also successfully expanded Martin. He's given us the Authentic line, reintroduced the affordable D18 and when asked what his favorite guitar is he sites 15 series. Talking about how proud he is of his companies ability to product a guitar of the same quality as the higher end models for much lower price.

His company in't using marketing to try to come up with clever terms for plywood. Although Martin is taking advantage of NAFTA and building in Mexico, they aren't selling a Mexican built line of guitars with plywood back and sides and stamping a $1500 MSRP price tag on them. C.F. Martin isn't using PR to overstate environmental efforts, or to focus religious related marketing exclusively to a religion that's very different from his own beliefs or that of his CEO. Taylor hasn't broken any laws here, but would I stack up the things I see I find C.F. Martin to have a better track records when it comes to ethics.

Then again Chris Martin's job has been to preserve the family legacy and keep Martin customers happy. Maybe his successor will Martin their counterpart to Andy Powers and let the company start introducing some strong innovative new models

Bob Taylor's job as been arguably much harder, building a business and establishing a brand from he ground up. Even if I believe he's selling the 200 series for much more than Taylor should. Even if I think poorly of his ethics overall and most of his product it's very hard not to admire what he's done as a salesman and a business man. He was also bright enough to name a successor who is more talented than he is.
C'mon, how do you really feel about Taylor? And how did this thread asking about a Martin get twisted into a Taylor rant. Notice that's not a question.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-07-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
C'mon, how do you really feel about Taylor? And how did this thread asking about a Martin get twisted into a Taylor rant. Notice that's not a question.
As the OP asking about The Martin, and considering my signature, I surely didn't intend on it going in that direction.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
As the OP asking about The Martin, and considering my signature, I surely didn't intend on it going in that direction.
I did note that second bit in my original comment but decided to call off my own contentious remarks:-) BTW, I think it's noted, but the specific guitar is the CEO-8 introduced earlier this year, and then according to rumor was the subject of a short legal "discussion" between Gibson & Martin, but not sure if that was validated (and def sure it doesn't matter). I do agree that this gets taken a bit too seriously — everyone is copying everyone, including Martin copying Taylor, for example their PA series. touchι

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
I did note that second bit in my original comment but decided to call off my own contentious remarks:-) BTW, I think it's noted, but the specific guitar is the CEO-8 introduced earlier this year, and then according to rumor was the subject of a short legal "discussion" between Gibson & Martin, but not sure if that was validated (and def sure it doesn't matter). I do agree that this gets taken a bit too seriously — everyone is copying everyone, including Martin copying Taylor, for example their PA series. touchι
Additional good info, thanks.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:32 PM

For some people not sounding like a Gibson and not looking like a Martin will be a winning combination. This guitar is taken way too seriously.

hunter
Old 06-07-2015, 02:42 PM

Default History repeats?

I recall Martin exploring some crazy marketing ploys in the 70's,
(building electrics, buying a banjo company, farming out manufacturing off- shore etc), and Chris Martin saying that his father should have "stuck to his knitting".

The big difference is that Chris has made the company more solvent, where his father did not.

No, as a long time Martin owner and player, I do not like all the marketing theatrics.
Had Chris asked, I would not have advised putting "The Martin" on the headstock of a guitar that imitates anything, Gibson or otherwise.
Nor would I put the premier American made guitar brand on an instrument made in Mexico.
But he didn't ask for my help or opinion.

And overall, he has shown himself to be a very astute business man who has helped his company thrive in the face of unprecedented competition.

Although I disagree with some of his choices, he has my continued support.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Bob Taylor's job as been arguably much harder, building a business and establishing a brand from he ground up. Even if I believe he's selling the 200 series for much more than Taylor should. Even if I think poorly of his ethics overall and most of his product it's very hard not to admire what he's done as a salesman and a business man. He was also bright enough to name a successor who is more talented than he is.
Curious for more info... PM me so as not to further derail.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:58 PM

I too am curious why Bob Taylor's ethics are being called into question.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:

The fact these exist is one of the reasons Chris Martin is my favorite leader in the industry.

His company in't using marketing to try to come up with clever terms for plywood.
Hahaha. Martin builds guitars with plywood necks that they market as 'Stratabond'.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 06-08-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
Don't get me wrong, but, if you wanted a Gibson, wouldn't you just buy a Gibson?
Yeah but what if the Martin Gibson is a better guitar than the Gibson-Gibson?
I'll put my hand up- I'd like one.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion