The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM

Default NGD: Froggy Bottom M Deluxe Maple. Lefty, of course...

WOW... That's all I can say. I've owned over 65 high end guitars since I started playing at 19. I'm 35 now. I've had some really good guitars from Martin (over 25), Taylor, Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Etc. My favorite, and first "keeper" was/is a 2014 Huss & Dalton TD-R with hide glue and cooked top. It's a BEAST. Best guitar I'd ever played. Hands down. And that includes some **** fine guitars. But the H&D was far and away better. Still is.

I've been looking for something a bit smaller and sweeter. The Huss is a **** cannon and will take anything you can throw at it and then some. Well, this Froggy is no slouch itself. While it can handle any strumming you throw at it, it really shines with light to medium finger or flat picking. If I had to describe the tone, I'd say it's as if you're hearing a top notch profession recording that's been remasters to the highest possible level, AND amplified. I mean it sounds heavenly. It's unreal. I've never heard anything even close to it. It's hard to describe it, really. You'd have to hear it. And the fit, finish and craftsmanship is absolutely extraordinary. I'm VERY happy. The perfect partner to my holy grail dread.

As I sit here and play them both, I can honestly say I've never been this happy or satisfied with my guitar stable as I am right now. Not even close. I'm very grateful for the pair. Life is good.

Very quick and dirty iPhone pics. Just to give an idea.

(does anyone know if you get a deal if you order TWO Calton cases at once: ; ) )

Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM

Old 05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Congrats!!!!! Froggy Bottom makes some of the best sounding guitars being built today IMO. I've played 5 of them and I'd love to get my hands on more and some of their other sizes. Froggy Bottom guitars will hold their own with any 5 figure $$ guitar brand or builder.

I would imagine that your M defies the Maple they built it with. I know the one SJ I played was Adi over Mahogany and it was so warm and rich it for sure didn't sound like Mahogany but it was awesome at the same time!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 PM

Congrats on a beautiful guitar!!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

What a beauty. Happy NGD!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM

I've never played a Froggy Bottom guitar that I didn't like. It's not that I've played an enormous number of them, but it's in the range of two to three dozen over the past twenty years or so. They've all been superlative instruments.

The finish on this one is unique - I've never seen any maple guitar with a dark sunburst top and blond back and sides. With naturally dark back and side woods like rosewood it's common to do this, of course, put the pigment on the top alone, but it's very unusual with maple.

Question for you, Yukon: is this a custom order that you initiated, or did you buy it from the original owner? I noticed the date on the label inside the soundhole says December, 2014.

Just curious. In any event, congratulations on your very cool new guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Here's another question, and it's directed to anyone who can answer, not just the OP: I noticed that there isn't any scrimshaw on the heel cap of the neck, as you can see in this photo:

I can't claim that I carefully examined the heel cap of every single Froggy Bottom guitar I've ever had my hands on, but to the best of my recollection there was scrimshaw on all the heel caps that I HAVE looked at.

So my question is this: are the scrimshaw heel caps on Froggy Bottom guitars
  1. A thing of the past?
  2. An add-on option costing more money, and have always been an add-on?
  3. Used to be standard on all guitars but now are an option?

One reason I ask is that the single biggest group of Froggy Bottom guitars I've ever seen in one place was in London, England, at Ivor Mairant's marvelous music store five minutes walk away from the cluster of guitar shops on Denmark Street. There were at least seven or eight Froggys there when I visited in 2003, and as best I can recall, all of them had scrimshawed heel caps.

Just curious. Perhaps some of you with more experience with Froggy Bottom guitars can answer that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: NGD

Congrats on the FB! Very striking with the sunburst top and natural maple back and sides!

Wade,

I've only been inflicted with FB fever since '08, but since then it was an option for the heelcap and/or endcap to have the scrimshaw. I have an '04 B-12 Standard that has the maple heelpcap like Yukon's.

Last edited by Quake17; 05-27-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Beautiful!!

Old 05-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
  1. A thing of the past?

Wade Hampton Miller
It's #3 I believe. It used to be a standard, but became a ($600?) add on option starting a few years ago.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

The scrimshaws are only done on custom ordered guitars direct from FB. All the guitars sent to dealers are wood to match the binding. It is an extra charge for the scrimshaw. Most of the FB guitars that you see with out were sent to dealers but some individuals choose not to have one on their guitars.

Have you seen the engraved Pearl work they are having done on some of the newer Froggy guitars? It's beautiful work!!

http://froggybottomguitars.com/engra...pearl-mop.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Here's another question, and it's directed to anyone who can answer, not just the OP: I noticed that there isn't any scrimshaw on the heel cap of the neck, as you can see in this photo:

I can't claim that I carefully examined the heel cap of every single Froggy Bottom guitar I've ever had my hands on, but to the best of my recollection there was scrimshaw on all the heel caps that I HAVE looked at.

1. A thing of the past?

One reason I ask is that the single biggest group of Froggy Bottom guitars I've ever seen in one place was in London, England, at Ivor Mairant's marvelous music store five minutes walk away from the cluster of guitar shops on Denmark Street. There were at least seven or eight Froggys there when I visited in 2003, and as best I can recall, all of them had scrimshawed heel caps.

Just curious. Perhaps some of you with more experience with Froggy Bottom guitars can answer that.

Wade Hampton Miller

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

CONGRATS!!! Who wouldn't be happy to own a Froggy!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
The scrimshaws are only done on custom ordered guitars direct from FB. All the guitars sent to dealers are wood to match the binding. It is an extra charge for the scrimshaw. Most of the FB guitars that you see with out were sent to dealers but some individuals choose not to have one on their guitars.

Have you seen the engraved Pearl work they are having done on some of the newer Froggy guitars? It's beautiful work!!

http://froggybottomguitars.com/engra...pearl-mop.html
I had some correspondence with Michael Millard a few months back, and he informed me that the artist who did all the scrimshaw work had retired. So, unless Michael has found another scrimshaw artist, I don't believe they are an available option any longer.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 05-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Congratulations on your new Froggy. I have an H14 myself (OM) and I agree that there is something about their sound that is addictive. They have a magical natural reverb to them that hits your ear just right.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 05-27-2015, 03:23 PM

I will join in on the Froggy chorus... Congrats on a beautiful M. I bet it sounds fantastic! I have had my K in Bastogne for over a year now and it truly is a remarkable instrument. Mine was a 2014 build as well and it looks like our headstock frogs are very similar with that 3D ripple effect going on. Enjoy your duo of great guitars.

@drplayer- that is interesting to hear about Petria retiring. She just completed my scrimshaw last year, so her retirement must be quite recent.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion