The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Default Bristol BD-16

I just stopped into a small family owned music store about 5 minutes from my house to purchase some new guitar strings. I'd never been in the store before so i wasn't sure what to expect but I saw they had 5 acoustic guitars up on the wall so I took one down to strum for a few minutes. I'd never heard of bristol guitars but in doing some research I discovered they are made by blueridge. The guitar was only a couple hundred dollars but it sounded like a much more expensive instrument to my ears. The tone was "taylor like" and I thought it sounded great, especially for the price. Im currently saving up for a Martin HD-28v but as of right now I don't even own an acoustic guitar which really sucks. I'm seriously considering purchasing this Bristol BD-16 to hold me over until I get the Martin. Anyone had any experience with this brand or guitar? Also just as a side note: the guitar was in great shape and I could tell the shop really cared for their guitars. When I was done playing they handed me a towel and made me wipe down the neck and strings lol. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 PM

If it were me since you already know which guitar you want I would just continue to save for it. I did play on a few of these Bristols myself, they were ok but they are all laminated guitar, and there are cheaper options out there that are just as good. More money towards Martin
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM

I recently went shopping for a entry level guitar for a gift. I tried the stuff at the big box store, but felt that some of those so called bargains with name brands were just not worth it.

I went to my local luthier's shop. He is a Blueridge dealer. I tried the BD-16. It was better than most of the stuff that I heard at the big box. He recommended the BLUERIDGE BRISTOL BM-16 000. Between the two, the BM-16 was the better sounding guitar. It sells for the same price (depending where you buy from).

Make sure that the guitar has been properly set up! If you are not sure, look them in the eye and ask.

In this price range, the Bristol is a good choice to get you buy until you are ready to step/save up to something nicer.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Recently got one of these for a friend's son. It was quite inexpensive via an Amazon gold box deal. I think it's a great little starter guitar. The factory setup on the one I played had little to complain about and the sound was really pretty good for a laminate guitar.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:05 PM

Smile Bristol Guitar

I'm thinking about buying the BD-16 but noticed they make a 000 BM-16 and wondered if the there is a big difference in quality of sound and volume? I strum and fingerpick but like the fullness of the Dred.
-Steve

--------------
Washburn Comfort Series Acoustic-Electric
Breedlove 12 string
Cordoba Fusion 14
Old 06-08-2015, 02:41 PM

I have also been very impressed with the BM16 - yes, it is a budget guitar, but a very decent one, and I wouldn't mind keeping one as a starter/extra guitar. If you are ready to buy the Martin before too long, I guess it could make sense to wait that little bit longer and get a really top class guitar, but it would also make perfect sense to get the Bristol as a temporary solution that is always nice to have lying around.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:52 PM

Bristol is sort of Saga's all-laminate version of Blueridge line. I've played a couple of Bristols in a comparison with the solid and solid-top Blueridges. My perception was that the Blueridge models were surprisingly close in tone, and that there was a noticeable difference in the Bristol -- which you would expect. That said, the Bristol still sounded and felt good. It's a very playable guitar.

My take on your question -- if you're w/out a guitar, get the Bristol, and later the Martin. The Bristol is tough and inexpensive, will always be good as a travel guitar down the road when you've acquired that stable of more expensive, but more fragile, guitars.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I say it's a no-brainer. there are a lot of guitars in that price range that will disappoint when it comes to playability.

having bought perhaps 10 blueridges in my quests of the past few years, I can say that they have really mastered consistency of manufacture and setup. every one of them has had a great setup and playability right out of the box.

as far as I can tell, what they are doing with Bristol is simply getting down to the next price tier by using all laminates and keeping everything else the same. and that bodes very well for purchasing one, as long as you are willing to trade a bit of sound quality for ultra-low price.

and on the subject of sound quality, it's worth noting that these days laminate woods are getting very very good indeed compared to what they used to be. so I think Bristol even deserves serious consideration if one is looking for a gigging guitar that can withstand the elements, i.e. playing outdoor gigs in high humidity or colder temps, when you're likely to be throwing a pickup in the thing so uber-nice acoustic tone is likely to be lost anyway.

I say for that kind of money if the Bristol felt right, definitely trust your gut. there's good objective data to support the decision.

and, no offense to previous posters, but I simply don't get anyone who recommends waiting any significant time with NO GUITAR when you could have one sooner. That violates the first rule of life which is PLAY MORE GUITAR. :-) Just my $.02

Last edited by sublro; 06-08-2015 at 04:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion