The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin long style saddle?

I need to lower the action a little on a Martin with the old long style saddle. From what I can gather this has to be done from the top and not the bottom like the drop in variety. Do you still use fine grit sandpaper or is there a better tool for the job?
Many thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 AM

Is there a better tool? Frank Ford uses a fret file to start, otherwise 320 to shape, 150 to polish as he states is what I've always used: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician...raction02.html (scroll down)

Standard caveat applies, of course: take it slow, don't go too low.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
Frank Ford uses a fret file to start...
No, he doesn't: re-read the article you quoted. He starts with a mill file. He uses a fret file to round the top of the saddle, which works only for a saddle without steps in it for intonation purposes. In that case, a flat needle file works well to round over the top after the mill file has been used to get the desired height.

Measure the string height you have now at the 12th fret. subtract from the measurement your desired string height. Do that for each string. Remove twice that amount at the saddle for each string, respectively. Join those 6 heights in a smooth curve, or leave the saddle height stepped for each string height, your choice.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty comfortable shaving a standard drop in saddle down to meet my needs but I think I might just pass on this glued in long saddle and let my guitar tech handle it. Sounds as if once it's done wrong it's a nightmare to get the saddle out and reinstall a fresh blank once it's been cut to suit?
Thanks again...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion