The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 07:22 AM

In my opinion they are both great sounding guitars but different. I could see somebody wanting both guitars because their sound is different from one another. I love my TV and while it is only 4 years old, I feel it sounds much much better than when I first purchased it. I am not sure if all would agree but I think the adi top and the forward shifted bracing makes the TV sound darker than the standard.

I was watching a friend of mine with a J45 standard play a show and was extremely impressed by the sound. They did a nice job marrying the electronics with such a great instrument. Of course it helped that he is a way better player than I am ... lol.

I can see myself gettting a J45 standard down the road ... GAS!
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM

Location: From Upstate, SC...currently living/working in S. Florida

My Collings CJ35 is a lifer. They are also much more consistent than Gibson.

.......... Just sayin'
Old 06-09-2015, 01:53 PM

"Gibson J45 True Vintage - How will it age?"

one year at a time like the rest of us.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:49 PM

Winecaster,
There has been some fantastic comments and advice for you on this thread. I bought a 2007 J-45TV off eBay and lucked out cause the tone is fantastic and it has only gotten better. I was at Wildwood a few years back and played a John Hiatt and did not like it. Hanging next to it was a Brad Paisley. I played that one and it had the tone I was used to hearing with my J-45TV. I am partial to the TV, they are light guitars, the tone is great and I like the vintage look. With all that said, you should buy what you fall in love with, if it is the Standard, great. If it is the TV, that is good also. Wildwood is a great place to buy even if it is over the net or by phone.

One thing you should know about the TV. The tops were Adi starting with 2008. My 2007 has a Sitka top. I once played my guitar at Wildwood next to a newer one with an Adi top and my friend and I did not hear a huge difference. Let your ears guide you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion