The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 03:02 AM

I did it once, back in early 2008.

We were making a permanent move from Canada to Europe. I had a then-new custom Kronbauer that I was determined to take with me. I stuffed it into its Calton case, put the case into a Colorado case cover with one of those little customs-approved locks, and then strapped a special shipping belt around the whole thing.

Boarded our initial flight in Vancouver, bound for Chicago, and we checked the guitar with all the other luggage. After a layover of several hours there, we hopped on a first-class Lufthansa flight (had tons of Air-Miles we were using up) headed for Firenze.

When the baggage came out of the chute at our destination, there was my guitar. The special packing belt and the little lock were missing, as some officious customs twerp somewhere had opened the thing up to have a look. Guess the idea of putting the belt back on didn't seem important. The case cover itself was absolutely filthy. The Calton -- and the guitar -- were spotless and undamaged. I was out the cost of the packing belt ($20 CAD) and had to have the case cover cleaned.

So, it wasn't a problem...but I don't know that I'd risk it again today. Not sure my blood pressure would be up to the ordeal.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:15 AM

scholar, that sounds stressful! having the packing belt and lock missing does not give any sense of security at all..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion