The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Good grief. Who knew that capo choice would devolve into this kind of nonsense?

It’s not a competition.

Well, for some people finding a capo that doesn't pull the strings so sharp they have to retune isn't nonsense.

And it is a competition, but between manufacturers for my $$$. I absolutely agree that it's not a competition between players. I believe everyone should spend as little as possible for the capo that satisfies their individual needs for sound and tuning. But isn't it at least possible to imagine that what satisfies one player doesn't satisfy all?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-06-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I use the old original elastic band with a plastic covered metal bar. They cost nearly nothing, have nothing that will scratch or mar the guitar surface and fit neatly in any pocket. I do not understand why people insist that they need a capo that looks like it came from a Gynecologists office.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Wow
Old 12-06-2021, 03:49 PM

Replaced and back to using one amazing capo!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-06-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Replaced and back to using one amazing capo!
Glad to hear that!

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsteven View Post
Glad to hear that!

This new one feels tighter and more precise, when tightening, than my last one ever did, so I’m wondering if the plastic piece in it was off from day one.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
If you've ever wondered why your $5000 guitar being recorded by a $2500 microphone sounds amazing uncapo'd and like a box of plywood with strings when capo'd, you'd probably get why $150 or $200 for a capo that makes it sounds as good uncapo'd is a worthwhile investment. Add in a company willing to stand behind their products, and it's a no brainer.
I never, in all my 50+ years of playing, understood how a capo can influence tone. Someone please explain, because I hear nothing after experimenting with numerous models, cheap or costly. They're just (mostly), mechanical clamps after all.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I never, in all my 50+ years of playing, understood how a capo can influence tone. Someone please explain, because I hear nothing after experimenting with numerous models, cheap or costly. They're just (mostly), mechanical clamps after all.

To me, what I hear is cleanliness with different capos. In my experience, Some cause buzz due to weak spring tension and some mute the sound a little. The Heritage is pure-sounding, the same as if you didn’t have a capo on it.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Usually because I screw up placement or pressure . . .
Old 12-07-2021, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I definitely hear a difference when the weight is quite a bit different. For instance, I have Elliott Elite which weighs .9oz and a Colorado Capo that weighs 1.49oz. When I use the Elliott the guitar sounds more open and when I use the Colorado the tone is denser and not as light sounding. Granted you're talking about a very small difference. But it's there if you listen close enough. Not enough you'd ever notice playing at a jam or at a gig.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I definitely hear a difference when the weight is quite a bit different. For instance, I have Elliott Elite which weighs .9oz and a Colorado Capo that weighs 1.49oz. When I use the Elliott the guitar sounds more open and when I use the Colorado the tone is denser and not as light sounding. Granted you're talking about a very small difference. But it's there if you listen close enough. Not enough you'd ever notice playing at a jam or at a gig.
I think subtlety might be asking a bit too much of these 69 year-old ears!
Old 12-07-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
To me, what I hear is cleanliness with different capos. In my experience, Some cause buzz due to weak spring tension and some mute the sound a little. The Heritage is pure-sounding, the same as if you didn’t have a capo on it.
Yes, for sure-and my G7th doesn't like radii much flatter than 12"; but assuming the capo is doing what it is supposed to do-keeping all strings evenly pressed against the fret, I still don't get how it can affect the tone produced. After all the 'singing length' of the string is from the fret in front of the capo, to the bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion