The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Sept. Emerald X7

The X7 from Emerald for Sept. is on the chopping block already at a great loss if anyone is looking for one, Check out the classifides here on AGF. Didn't even have time to get dusty....
Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Guest 928

Jerry M;

I looked at your ad, wow, what a beautiful guitar! I keep an eye on the sales offered on this forum and rarely see a carbon fiber instrument, I suspect yours will sell quickly.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jerry M;

I looked at your ad, wow, what a beautiful guitar! I keep an eye on the sales offered on this forum and rarely see a carbon fiber instrument, I suspect yours will sell quickly.
Evan, Jerry doesn't own an x7, it's Methos who is selling his x7, the one he got about five weeks ago:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=488028

Here is the ad, he's asking $1750:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=484107
Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Guest 928

Thank you Ted, my error.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:53 PM

Ah, yes! I understand . . . you have the new Emerald X20 coming soon!
Old 11-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

It’s already sold...just like that. Methos had multiple offers. No surprise for such an awesome guitar.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Wow! We have been having an internet outage for most of last night and today thanks to Spectrum... had I seen that beauty in time, I may have been tempted. That is one of the prettiest X7s I have seen!

Congrats to Frank (according to Methos, the buyer) - hope he'll post his impressions here when he gets the guitar.

Good luck with the upcoming custom X20, Methos - looking for the NGD.

(another plot line in the CF soap opera)
Old 11-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Yes, that X7 was mine and I'd just bought it (obviously) in September. It is a great guitar for sure and I was leaning towards keep it along with the custom woody X20 still on the way but then I saw that gorgeous Martin 000-18GE Custom and had to have that. So now it will be that one and the X20. I allow myself only two.

I knew the X7 would sell fast but this was a record for me. Less than 24-hours after posting and only 4 replies - boom!, gone. I posted it during the World Series last night so not much action at first but once word got around I had several offers below asking price in the span of less than an hour. Everyone's always looking for that killer deal.

I didn't even have time to counter-offer before Frank (who coincidentally bought my last X20 a few years back) wisely swooped in gobbled it up while others were making offers. I'm thrilled it went to him as he's a great guy to deal with and a known quantity. He even still has that X20 from a few years ago so I'm sure he'll love it.

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-02-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yes, that X7 was mine and I'd just bought it (obviously) in September. It is a great guitar for sure and I was leaning towards keep it along with the custom woody X20 still on the way but then I saw that gorgeous Martin 000-18GE Custom and had to have that. So now it will be that one and the X20. I allow myself only two.

I knew the X7 would sell fast but this was a record for me. Less than 24-hours after posting and only 4 replies - boom!, gone. I posted it during the World Series last night so not much action at first but once word got around I had several offers below asking price in the span of less than an hour. Everyone's always looking for that killer deal.

I didn't even have time to counter-offer before Frank (who coincidentally bought my last X20 a few years back) wisely swooped in gobbled it up while others were making offers. I'm thrilled it went to him as he's a great guy to deal with and a known quantity. He even still has that X20 from a few years ago so I'm sure he'll love it.
It’s great when a deal comes together like that. This one was a win-win for sure.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
It’s great when a deal comes together like that. This one was a win-win for sure.
What's amazing is how I went from a relatively 'stable' collection just a month ago to a complete turnover of guitars that is not even finished yet! I really need to stay off the classifieds...
Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
What's amazing is how I went from a relatively 'stable' collection just a month ago to a complete turnover of guitars that is not even finished yet! I really need to stay off the classifieds...
I don't know, Methos, I've purchased hundreds of guitars (literally) for my personal collection over the years, and never have I sold one within five weeks, or anywhere close to that. I need to know what it was about that x7 that just wasn't doing it for you. Heck, you kept your Journey OF660 around for over a year. Feel free to pm me.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I don't know, Methos, I've purchased hundreds of guitars (literally) for my personal collection over the years, and never have I sold one within five weeks, or anywhere close to that. I need to know what it was about that x7 that just wasn't doing it for you. Heck, you kept your Journey OF660 around for over a year. Feel free to pm me.
Hi Ted,

The X7 was purchased on whim when it became apparent that my X20 was not going to make it in the quoted time. I had an outdoor gig lined up in October and wasn't keen on taking the Santa Cruz to play outside in the cold. I was planning on taking the OF660 but when I saw the X7 pop back up on FB I snagged it figuring what the heck. I had a buddy that I knew was salivating for the OF660 and since he fly's a lot he would get more use out of it.

My plan was to use the X7 for the gig and then when the X20 came in I would A/B/C the two Emeralds and the SC to see which one would go. I was beginning to become enamored of the idea of having all CF guitars so as not to have to deal with the winter humidification woes of wood guitars. But I also knew in my heart of hearts (having owned a stock X20 years back) that it would be unlikely that I would like the neck carve (mold?) of the X7 which is why I custom ordered my X20 with a specific neck shape and my preferred pickup.

I liked everything about the X7 except as predicted the neck shape and the pickup system. I've never been wild about UST pickups. Also, the pickup system did not work with my Xvive X2 wireless system because it's an active pickup and squeals like a stuck pig. And then the stock Emerald neck shape which is just not my thing. But the guitar itself was great. I was pleasantly surprised with the volume and tone, the woody top is cool and I love, love, love the amber back and sides which will also be on my X20.

Then another curve ball entered the mix when I saw the Martin 000-18GE Custom for sale that had all the little features and additions that I absolutely love in a Martin guitar model that I have been planning on getting at some point anyway. It was like someone had built the exact custom I wanted and then sold it to me for a great deal. I sold the SC to cover that.

So that leaves the X7 and the incoming X20. The X20 will have the neck shape and pick up system I prefer and since I've owned an X20 before I know what it will sound like. Since the Martin is so new and not going anywhere anytime soon, that left the X7 as the odd-man out. In reality I really don't need two CF guitars and I also don't travel by plane so don't need a travel sized guitar either.

So that's the long and overly complicated reason why it was turned around so fast. Being a special edition I knew that I could easily sell it as so many really like those models. And selling it so quick guaranteed it was still fresh in everyone's mind who might have missed out on the original deal.

Scott

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-02-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:15 AM

Yes, neck shapes are really a personal preference. Different size hands and different ways people hold the neck and position their arms.

The stock X7 neck is just fine for me, but it's super that anyone can order a neck to their own specifications. You don't find that with even the vast majority of wood guitar makers, Taylor, Martin, etc. You either like their necks or you don't.

Emerald really stands alone in this regard and I hope you love the custom X20. Sounds perfect for you.

If you only need one CF, the X20 is a great choice, but someday you may feel the need for just one more and you can always go for a custom X7 someday too!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I liked everything about the X7 except as predicted the neck shape and the pickup system. I've never been wild about UST pickups. Also, the pickup system did not work with my Xvive X2 wireless system because it's an active pickup and squeals like a stuck pig. And then the stock Emerald neck shape which is just not my thing. But the guitar itself was great. I was pleasantly surprised with the volume and tone, the woody top is cool and I love, love, love the amber back and sides which will also be on my X20.

Then another curve ball entered the mix when I saw the Martin 000-18GE
USTs can be okay but I like passive magnetic pickups better. Mister Dupuis knows.
If I order an Emerald it will have an M1 (or better) on it.

Congratulations on your new GE! Great guitars....

Last edited by Song; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
USTs can be okay but I like passive magnetic pickups better. Mister Dupuis knows.
If I order an Emerald it will have an M1 (or better) on it.

Congratulations on your new GE! Great guitars....
You're in the minority, it seems, about magnetic pickups. Most people find them sterile and lacking the ability to accurately generate the guitars natural tone. I'm far from an expert. All I do know is that I generally prefer the simplicity of the K&K type SBT systems.

Until recently I've had no experience with magnetic pickups. I picked up an LR Baggs M80 in a trade and kept it around just to have something handy to put into any guitar I acquired that needed a pickup until such time that I could get a K&K installed. I just picked bought a used Martin 000-18GE that had a Lyric pickup system that was awful so I yanked that out and put the M80 in and it's not too bad.

I don't know if it's because of the internal mic combo but the tone is fairly decent. One thing most people do agree on with mag pups is that they tend to be naturally feedback resistant. So I'm going to leave that pup in there for now and test that out at some local open mic venues where I've had feedback issues before with K&K guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber