The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 AM

Default Leviora 12-string

Thomas just finished the 12-string I asked him to build. He's not shipped it yet, so it's not officially a NGD just yet, but he did send some pics of the completed guitar. Woot!!

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM

Gorgeous! Love Thomas's work. Congrats, and use it in good health.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! A good looking instrument. Looking forward to your NGD and review.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Well, this one seems like it’s going to be very special. A 12 string fan-fret, no less! Congrats. Looking forward to more pics. We don’t see many Leviora here...in fact Kray, yours may be the only ones. As I recall they’re high quality but very pricey, which likely has a bearing on why they’re not more popular. Enjoy the remaining wait!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Thanks! Ted - I am planning on over-nighting in LA (Nov 20 - 21) and I'll see if I can't swing by the shop and say hello and bring it with me.

I'll do my best to post a complete and thorough review! :-)

Acousticado - they are a bit spendy. I've been playing a pair of Rainsongs for years, and will end up selling those, as it's the only way I can justify the Leviora expense. (Plus.. although it might be heresy... I love guitars but hate clutter.. so one 6 and one 12 and no more.. except maybe a 1930's National O.. maybe.)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Guest 928

What a marvelous looking guitar. Years ago a Leviora went on a road trip sponsored by McNichol and I had the pleasure of playing it--I can only imagine how good this 12 string will sound and look forward to future reports.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
Thanks! Ted - I am planning on over-nighting in LA (Nov 20 - 21) and I'll see if I can't swing by the shop and say hello and bring it with me.

I'll do my best to post a complete and thorough review! :-)

Acousticado - they are a bit spendy. I've been playing a pair of Rainsongs for years, and will end up selling those, as it's the only way I can justify the Leviora expense. (Plus.. although it might be heresy... I love guitars but hate clutter.. so one 6 and one 12 and no more.. except maybe a 1930's National O.. maybe.)
Kray, I share your want of not having too many guitars, not because of hating clutter (not that I like it), I’m just more of a one-in, one or more-out (depending on funds need) kinda guy.

Please let us know some specificis about this guitar, including construction (one-piece, separate fretboard, etc.). Also, I’m sure you’ve followed all the incredible offerings among the current composite builders. What drove you to Leviora, especially given that they are more expensive, and was it a leap of faith with your first one? Obviously, you were impressed enough to order a 12er. Thx.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-27-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Zowie - that is incredible-looking. I hope it plays and sounds just as beautiful as it looks!
Old 10-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
Thanks! Ted - I am planning on over-nighting in LA (Nov 20 - 21) and I'll see if I can't swing by the shop and say hello and bring it with me..
Outstanding, Kray!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 PM

Wow, very nice!. I only played and videoed the 6 string fan fret and a nylon 6 string... looking forward to see more and hear this thing you are getting.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Guest 928

I heard that Mr. K swooned when he played the nylon strung Leviora.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:03 PM

Finally it comes out. Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 PM

That looks incredible.

I'm concerned it might feel pretty neck heavy though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-27-2017, 09:19 AM

I'd probably swoon playing the Leviora nylon as well!!

The neck shouldn't be too heavy, because we stayed with the original 6-string neck and headstock. It sure doesn't look like it in the pictures - it looks like the headstock is the usual longer 12-string modification. But we wanted to stick with the standard size to keep costs down and not have to make a new mold, and those are mini-tuners, so I am thinking that it's just the picture perspective. As CF is lighter than wood anyway, it'll be lighter than the Guild F412 I used to play. (I really loved that guitar!)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I heard that Mr. K swooned when he played the nylon strung Leviora.
Soooo silly.. but almost sorta truish a little.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber