The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Talking

I have owned the APLE and it is one great guitar all around, I like the more traditional look as well, never could warm up to the Star Trek look, Breedlove makes a great guitar but the weird asthetics kept me from them as well. Just like the old traditional style. Course I am vintage now as well, could have something to do with it
Old 10-21-2017, 11:33 AM

Good to see Martin ...playing again!!! amazing as always!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 PM

Agreed. Not really a fan of the sharks really. But a 14 fret neck and a unidirectional top with the warmer tone of the Hybrid would be great.
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 10-21-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Ah, the bane of the internet: getting to post opinions without having any actual experience. My hands-on experience with the RainSong I own and the Emeralds I own doesn't play out like what you got from Youtube videos, Randy.

Nothing "boxy" about the Emerald, not even the considerably smaller X7. Certainly not with the X20. I'm no expert on recording for Youtube, but the mic position for the RainSong may not be the optimal position for the X20. I would caution you to not make a buying decision based only on Youtube.

Like many here, I understand that desire to to find the "one true perfect instrument." In reality, my guitar acquisitions have been a journey... not a quest. I see that there are Guitar Centers in Norman, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa - some GCs are stocking RainSong, so it might be worth your while to give each a call to see if they have one (or some) in stock. Short of that, I have two words of advice for you: road trip!

Besides mine, I have had the opportunity to play other RainSongs - all have been very nice guitars, but there are certainly different tones between the models. And definitely differences between the X20 and any RainSong model. While the X20 is my preference (in sound, tone, comfort, and looks), it doesn't mean any of the RainSongs are somehow less.

We all bring our biases and tastes to the forum, but the collective experience of the folks here has been helpful to me. The most important thing in this decision will be how it sounds and feels in your hands.

Good luck with the journey.
Captain Jim, maybe “boxy” is the wrong word ...
BTW

I just went to Guitar center and 2 other guitar stores and ZERO Rainsong or CA guitars! I was only able to find ONE CF guitar. A Journey OF660 . It was probably the perfect Back Pack overhead guitar.. Very nice tone! It wasnt very loud though. But all that being said I still have not been Able to test play a Rainsong CO or CH WS1000 or CA GX.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
I just went to Guitar center and 2 other guitar stores and ZERO Rainsong or CA guitars! I was only able to find ONE CF guitar. A Journey OF660 . It was probably the perfect Back Pack overhead guitar.. Very nice tone! It wasnt very loud though. But all that being said I still have not been Able to test play a Rainsong CO or CH WS1000 or CA GX.
I am surprised you found one CF in the middle of OK. Good on you. What color was it? I consider the X20 (red opus 2013) to be my benchmark guitar, but sometimes I can't take it with me when I travel. I have it with me at the moment, so life is good. For when I can't take it I was thinking the OF660 might do the trick. It has the same scale as my electric PRS, so I don't think it would feel too small for me.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Captain Jim, maybe “boxy” is the wrong word ...
BTW

So, you're down to the other 4 Guitar Centers in Oklahoma. You can check GC inventory on-line. I just saved you the effort - one RainSong (used) in any Guitar Center within 500 miles of 73108 (just picked an Oklahoma zip code), and that is in Arlington, TX. Faster and less expensive than running around.

Which leads me back to the previous two-word advice: road trip. I hear LA is nice this time of year. Of course, for less than gas and one night in a motel, you could have a CF guitar shipped right to your door... well, the guitar is going to cost you more than that, but if you decide to send it back, you pay for the shipping.

With any chronic condition, there is a cost to treat it... same with GAS. Don't let the "there aren't any near me" issue dissuade you from this (temporary) remedy for GAS. I used to be an "I have to try it before I buy it" kinda guy, but the last 6 guitars I've purchased have been on-line, and none have disappointed.

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:58 PM

I was just at my local store in the middle of Saskatchewan. VERY similar to the middle of OK actually (been there a few times). Shocking that there's 2 CF guitars here. We have less than ⅓ of OK population and more than 3X the land mass. So the appetite for the unusual is very low here.

Anyhow, they still have the Rainsong APLE and it's mint, brand new. It's on for $2495 CDN which is about $1975 USD (as of now). They also have a Hybrid Dread with no electronics. I didn't check the price, but it is also on clearance. They are not a Rainsong dealer anymore, so they are blowing them out. Here's their contact again https://sawchyn.com/index.php/contac...yn-guitars-ltd
Old 10-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Which leads me back to the previous two-word advice: road trip. I hear LA is nice this time of year.
Good deal on those northern Rainsongs though I doubt you could return them if they are closeouts, but if you would rather travel before buying you should look at hitting Kramster on the way out to LA or the way back.

If you hit him hard enough and/or in just the right way he might even let you look at his CF guitar selection too. It's enviable.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 PM

I may have to take a trip down to Texas and visit the guys at the Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney. They have a few Rainsongs to check out. I seem to be more and more tempted to go the Emerald X20 route. But there is no way to test one of those.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Guest 928

Yo Randy;

There is a way to test a 20. Ask on the forum if any nearby 20 owners would let you fondle their instrument. Forum members are pretty good about sharing their objects of affection.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I may have to take a trip down to Texas and visit the guys at the Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney. They have a few Rainsongs to check out. I seem to be more and more tempted to go the Emerald X20 route. But there is no way to test one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yo Randy;

There is a way to test a 20. Ask on the forum if any nearby 20 owners would let you fondle their instrument. Forum members are pretty good about sharing their objects of affection.
Man, I wish Emerald would’ve been able to follow-through on their try-before-buying road trip intent. I suspect that they’re just too busy trying to keep up with demand, so although the haven’t announced that they shelved the idea, I suspect it has been.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yo Randy;

Randy,

If you happen to be heading down under, more than happy to let you fondle mine
Old 10-24-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
If you happen to be heading down under, more than happy to let you fondle mine
What was the question? Oh yeah! X20! I'm about 1500 miles from you, so there are others like Ted and Kramster (I think he has an X20) to fondle before you get to me.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Man, I wish Emerald would’ve been able to follow-through on their try-before-buying road trip intent. I suspect that they’re just too busy trying to keep up with demand, so although the haven’t announced that they shelved the idea, I suspect it has been.
Dear Tom,

We did indeed announce that the road trip idea was put on hold some time ago. It has been an incredible time for us at Emerald Guitars since moving to our new model of direct sale only in January, 2016 and it has proven to be the best way forward for us as a company.

It gives us the opportunity to work closer with our customers, giving a more personal experience and in turn be able to build a better more personalised instrument.This structure has allowed us to focus much more on customisation and our more unusual instruments like the harp guitars and double neck guitars.

The 'downside' to all this is that we have found it impossible to hold enough stock required to start the home trials effectively, as well as finding the time necessary to be able to run the operation properly. We do believe that we will do the home trial programme in the future, but we just can't start this until we have the resources to meet the demand.

If you have any further questions, we are always here to assist as best we can.

Kind Regards,

Sean
Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Dear Tom,

We did indeed announce that the road trip idea was put on hold some time ago. It has been an incredible time for us at Emerald Guitars since moving to our new model of direct sale only in January, 2016 and it has proven to be the best way forward for us as a company.

It gives us the opportunity to work closer with our customers, giving a more personal experience and in turn be able to build a better more personalised instrument.This structure has allowed us to focus much more on customisation and our more unusual instruments like the harp guitars and double neck guitars.

The 'downside' to all this is that we have found it impossible to hold enough stock required to start the home trials effectively, as well as finding the time necessary to be able to run the operation properly. We do believe that we will do the home trial programme in the future, but we just can't start this until we have the resources to meet the demand.

If you have any further questions, we are always here to assist as best we can.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Hey Sean,
Since there are currently no home trials available..
Are there any X20 owners in Oklahoma that you are aware of?
I would like to be able to contact them to "test drive" an X 20 if they are willing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber