The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-13-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
So do all Rainsongs have a "Sharp" fretboard, or just the Shorty?
Not something I've experienced with my recently purchased CH-OM1100NS.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've noticed it on my Shorty, but it hasn't been an issue. The thing I noticed most about the Shorty was the "chunky feeling" to the N2 neck, after several years of playing just Taylors. I haven't played every RainSong out there, but I would imagine that is the profile they build with, N2 or NS. Just a period of adjustment.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I've noticed it on my Shorty, but it hasn't been an issue. The thing I noticed most about the Shorty was the "chunky feeling" to the N2 neck, after several years of playing just Taylors. I haven't played every RainSong out there, but I would imagine that is the profile they build with, N2 or NS. Just a period of adjustment.
The N2 and NS necks are the same profile, just one being 12-fret and one being 14-fret. Everyone talks about the original Rainsong neck as being different, but the two current necks feel identical.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
The N2 and NS necks are the same profile, just one being 12-fret and one being 14-fret. Everyone talks about the original Rainsong neck as being different, but the two current necks feel identical.
That is correct. I've played both- the old N1 and own a guitar with the NS.

The N1 (the earlier version of the RainSong neck sans a truss rod) is a flat "D" shape. The newer N2 and NS models are a "modified U" shape (with a truss rod). I personally like the U shape better but it does take a bit of getting used to. It might be unusual but that does not mean it isn't usable- and I play fingerstyle. The longer I play it the more I really like it.

I don't find the edge of the neck a whole lot "sharper" than any other wood guitar I've played. I also never use my thumb in the famous "wrap around" technique to fret the bass note of a chord. YMMV.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
My Concert series Dread has the N2 neck and the corners formed where the edges of the fretboard meet the "D" of the neck* definitely seemed sharp to me, coming from Taylor...

But though I definitely noted it, it's been almost unnoticeable to me while playing.

*per above post, I guess I should have said the "U" of the neck...
Old 11-14-2017, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

I had a Cargo (sold it), still have a RAinsong parlor 12, x7, x20, and savoy. The x20 is my first full size carbon fiber and I have to say it is pretty great. Really a full sounding guitar no complaints at all. The savoy is great for its size and way better than the x7 for the same basic size but costs almost 3 times as much or really 3 times for what I paid used.

Anyone try an Amulet on an x20?

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-14-2017 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Edited details

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber