The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2017, 03:20 PM

Default New Blackbird Savoy day!

Joe told me the Savoy was "amazing." To say that to a customer buying one sound-unheard (that's like sight-unseen) sets a high bar.

He's right. It's amazing.

Wordy review followed by pics:

Just picking it up for the first time, and hearing my fingers against it, I could tell how light and resonant this material is. Every touch and tap excites the strings--that's a good sign.

I love the way it looks. It looks vintage, raw, even rustic...yet at the same time, precisely and beautifully designed/engineered. The randomness and "imperfections" of the linen has the character of wood, especially the top, which I think it beautiful. (The sides/back/neck are darker and more uniform in color, with a more rustic/rough look than the top. But they're super smooth, like a satin with a thorough patina. You can see--not feel-- some folds and stray fibers here and there, which I think adds a unique touch, reminding you this was hand-laid from many fabric strips. I like it, but they may be--and if so, will be--some room for future improvement of the back/sides aesthetic). I think the look alone is a big innovation in composite guitars. (I know, other builders have some great-looking forays into wood-veneers and wood-look-paint, but both of those are overlays--Ekoa is a naturally grained material. That's just cool.

Compared to wood, it looks most like Redwood, I think (sounds more spruce/koa to me), but I'm not sure we need to compare Ekoa to wood. It's just another great top material, put to excellent use by Blackbird. It's very stiff...tapping on the top has a tight drum-like response. I believe that's what you want in a guitar top material. And wow, is Ekoa light/thin--with light shining on the top, look in through the (beautifully-shaped) sound port and you can see...the top is so thin it's translucent! :o I keep having to double-check this, but yes. (Speaking of the inside, this is the tidiest internal work I've seen from Blackbird. Fine, thin bracing work. Cool.)

Other than (I think) on the headstock faceplate, there's no finish/paint...the top feels/looks satin, and the back/sides/neck like a very worn-in satin or semi-gloss.

The rosette inlay looks great...it isn't flawlessly inlayed, I think partly because there's no finish on the top (normally, you'd glue/fill the rosette, sand the top, and finish). It still looks great...it's a cool raw look/feel that works well with the whole vibe. In a touch that makes me smile, I believe the rosette is wood fiber.

Down to the custom hardware (black chrome Gotohs with black buttons), everything--along with the build quality--demonstrates a fully-realized vision. I've owned three other Blackbirds, and the Savoy is the pinnacle of everything Blackbird has done right, of every innovation they've developed.

It plays great. I might lower the action the slightest touch, but there's plenty of saddle room. Stainless steel frets always feel great. The neck shape is full but comfortable. The scale is an intimate 24.5" but the 1.75" nut makes it feel familiar and roomy. The touch-response and sustain lend a lot to its playability.

So how does it sound? Unreal. Bafflingly great. Rich and deep with complexity and sympathetic/harmonic vibrations. Composite instrument builders often talk about having a "big sound for a small body"...this has never been more true. I think it's volume and power could put it up against (gasp) a GA or OM size guitar. That's shocking...Blackbird is earning their "High Performance" claim. I've owned an embarrassing number of composite instruments since 2003 (15ish)...I think Ekoa is a breakthrough in material.

What does it sound like? An overall parlor-on-steroids voice. It's articulate, responds quickly with a feather-light touch. Rich and sonorous. It has sweet, somewhat mellow highs (if you'll allow me a wood comparison, the highs are sweet with a koa or blackwood sparkle/chime)...a strong midrange but an equally strong low end.

The sticking point to whether you would like the tone might be its fairly strong mids (which probably also play a role in its apparent volume)...luckily, the strong lows balance them out.

Overall, my high expectations were exceeded. Joe and Blackbird are making an amazing instrument, regardless of material. I've never loved a take-me-anywhere instrument more.

Pics were taken under really high light...so the grain on the sides/back is more subdued in person.

Last edited by tommyld; 07-30-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:30 PM

Gorgeous looking material in every way. Nice photos.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 PM

Congratulations on your new Savoy!
It looks cool!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:49 PM

YAY!! Another Club Savoy member . I really like the rosette.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 07-28-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Tommyld,
Congratulations on your Savoy purchase. It sounds like you are going to like yours as much as I like mine!
Bara
Old 07-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Congrats on the new Savoy!

Amazing guitar you have over there!
Old 07-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Congrats! Looks awesome. Quick question on the finish, i know its supposed to be satinish? Does it make noise if you run your fingertips over it while strumming? I am very interested in the Savoy, my only nitpick is I much prefer gloss top. I know its just my poor technique, but when i strum satin topped guitars with my fingers only, it is too noisy.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:57 PM

If you can get someone to put their hand over the sound port and then take it away a few times it really shows how well designed it is.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-28-2017, 04:01 PM

Stunning instrument! Love the look (and durability). Nice write-up too. Congrats on a fine guitar. How long did you have to wait?
Old 07-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yep, admittedly a very nice looking guitar made of an interesting material. Pretty cool. I'm smitten, especially with the burst version, but the all ekoa look is great. Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Congrats, and welcome to the club.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Congrats! Looks awesome. Quick question on the finish, i know its supposed to be satinish? Does it make noise if you run your fingertips over it while strumming? I am very interested in the Savoy, my only nitpick is I much prefer gloss top. I know its just my poor technique, but when i strum satin topped guitars with my fingers only, it is too noisy.
The back / sides / neck are unfinished...smooth, like a satin finish that's been well played-in. It's not noisy, doesn't make that loud brushing sound. The top material has a more standard satin look/feel. I'll have to check it out tonight.
I'm sure Blackbird would do a gloss top custom, but at a substantial cost.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Guest 928

GREAT REVIEW! Unfortunately, no nylon. Come on Joe...............
Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
GREAT REVIEW! Unfortunately, no nylon. Come on Joe...............
People still play nylon string stuff?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
People still play nylon string stuff?
I know! Right?

My Savoy spent the day on the lake today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber