The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Evan,

The search continues
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-03-2017, 02:56 PM

Didn't realize this is and older thread, but the current status from what I can tell:

1) the guitars do exist and are available, in BLACK. I know one person (friend of a friend) who has one and loves it.

2) they are currently doing a kickstarter to do other colors. The kickstarter price is unsurprisingly very attractive.

3) It's a travel guitar with a screw on neck. 4 Phillips head screws through the back. Think Fender Strat.

4) Only the body is CF. Soundboard has wooden braces (A-frame). Neck is "mahogany" and the fretboard and bridge are rosewood.

5) It's small, smaller than a Rainsong or Larrivee Parlor. Lower bout is the same as a Martin Size 2 1/2. Some bass Ukes may be bigger.

I have concerns about the neck attachment long term. I also wish they had saved a few bucks and used Richlite or micarta for the fretboard and bridge. I like wood on my wooden guitars, but on a composite it's a bit out of place. As a result, we now have a CF guitar that is subject to CITES import/export restrictions. (in fairness they started building these before the new CITES rules)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
(back from the dead)

One of these guitars just popped up for sale used in my area. I'm really tempted to pick it up. They listed it for $400.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with them yet?
Looks like it is up to you to grab it, have at it, and report ... thanks in advance.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

I'd go for $350 and hold my breath. You should play it first, if possible, before purchase.

Also, good to see you still in touch. Yo.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:50 PM

I agreed to a trade that will make it very affordable. I’m going to pick it up tonight. Unfortunately, I leave for Africa in the morning, so I might not have much to report.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Guest 928

CB;

I look forward to your report. Enjoy your trip to Africa and take care.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:50 PM

Just received mine today. Nice little guitar.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 11-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Guest 928

"Nice little guitar"?? That's not enough, I need more. You are a first scout here. I've been watching the development of this guitar and have had high hopes for an inexpensive CF guitar. So, how does it play? How does it sound? How does it feel? There will be a test.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:04 PM

Default Klos Guitar

I recently bought a Klos acoustic electric guitar via a Kickstarter campaign...it took a few months to arrive...I believe I paid $579.00: included cheapie case, cheapie capo, and a nice Klos logo ski cap...it was very poorly packed, with no padding in the box, and the box was just barely taped up...thankfully there was no damage: maybe a testament to it's durability...I thought the construction and materials were good, and it is finished nicely, with smooth frets...it actually played quite well...what I didn't like was the positioning of the volume and tone controls: they were essentially under the strings rather at the side of the sound hole...also the positioning of the upper strap peg made it difficult to attach a strap...when plugged in the volume across the strings wasn't very even, and I had a hard time getting good EQ levels (I tried several different amps as well as a Boss EQ pedal)...unplugged it had a pleasant sound, with not a great amount of volume, probably similar to a Martin LX series...I didn't keep it very long: sold it rather quickly on Craigslist to someone on the West Coast, who seemed to really like it...I cannot say it's a professional instrument, but it is very playable and with it's size and construction would be good for travel, around the campfire, or keeping in the car...they also say that you can remove the neck by taking out the 4 bolts that attach the neck to the body...I don't think it is something you would want to do too many times...it doesn't work like a Journey or Voyage-air...regarding fit and finish, I own 2 Rainsong guitars and there is a world of difference in quality between Rainsong and Klos...and regarding price, I think I might've felt more comfortable paying maybe around $400.00 for the Klos guitar...so that's my two cents worth...
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Guest 928

AR;

Very nice review; to the point, clear, and precise. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
AR;

Very nice review; to the point, clear, and precise. Thank you.

Ditto. Great review.

The guy couldn’t meet up before I left, so I’m hoping he still has it when I get back on Wednesday. And, yes, I know it’s crazy to go to Africa for only 2 days.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Guest 928

CB;

Maybe crazy. On the other hand, if you're coming back with 10 pounds of gold, not so crazy. In any event, hope the trip goes well and good luck in snatching the guitar. And there's this: if it hasn't gone before you get back, you have some dicker space. Enjoy.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Unfortunately, the guy sold the guitar while I was gone.

The search continues
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Guest 928

CB;

You seem to be looking for a small (but not too small) guitar. Have you tried the Cargo, the X7, or the Rider??? These are more expensive, but also tried, true, and lasting in value. Each of the mentioned instruments are also production models and can sometimes be found at a reasonable price.

On the other hand, in my fanatic 5 years of searching nylon string guitars, I tried them all and found that some of the least expensive were quite capable of bringing great joy.

You go!!!!!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
CB;

You seem to be looking for a small (but not too small) guitar. Have you tried the Cargo, the X7, or the Rider??? These are more expensive, but also tried, true, and lasting in value. Each of the mentioned instruments are also production models and can sometimes be found at a reasonable price.

On the other hand, in my fanatic 5 years of searching nylon string guitars, I tried them all and found that some of the least expensive were quite capable of bringing great joy.

You go!!!!!
I've tried all of those, and I like them. The Klos isn't exactly what I'm looking for in a travel guitar, but it came up for sale used locally for a good price, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The cargo and Rider are amazing though. I didn't love the X7.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber