The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Composite Acoustic's GX vs Legacy

Hello AGF

Looking for input/advice on the Composite Acoustic line of guitars. Couple of months ago I played a GX (burst). I thought it was a good playing and sounding guitar, and preferred it over my Rainsong H-WS1000. Unfortunately, no one around me carries the full line. So......assuming I am interested in the post peavey line.....

1) how does the GX compare to the legacy (dread). Is there a major difference in volume, low end, and playability,
2) Is the GX the Flag Ship of the CA Line. What is the hierarchy of the line.
3) what would you compare the thicker neck to (The one I played had the thinner neck)
3) who has the best price on CA guitars.

Any other advice in regards to CA guitars
Thanks all for your help
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-28-2015, 07:28 PM

I went with the GX, but mainly for ergonomic reasons since I find a full sized Dread just so uncomfortable. But if that isn't a concern for you, the Legacy or Vintage are probably slightly louder with perhaps a bit more bottom. Playability can't readily be generalized except for the cutout on the GX helping quite a bit up the fretboard. Everything else varies with setup.

I think they consider the GX the flagship because it is considered more versatile, but I can't really see any downside to the two Dread versions. They also used to make more than one level of each model, but I think Peavey settled on just the top end versions. And If I'd been comfortable playing Dreads I would probably gotten a Vintage instead of the GX, as it would be better for flatpicking. I've not seen the narrow neck, but I am sure I would prefer it, as the older CA necks to seem to widen a fair amount up the neck (up to 2.1" at the 7th fret).

So other than comfort, I wouldn't sweat it if you can't find a GX to try, as a Vintage or Legacy is actually preferable to most folks.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 PM

Back in 08' Ted had dozens of CA's in stock so I got to play them all, and believe it or not, even the finish made a big difference on these guitars. I had a chance to compare the GX grand auditorium to the Leagacy dreadnought in every finish, (they had three then) and found the GX to be the winner every time. Here is why. Although we all expect a dreadnught to be more powerful, the GX actually had as much bass, and volume as the Legacy, and offered a more ergonomic design. I ended up getting one of the first GX RAW models shipped, and have been happy with it ever since. Now mine is a pre Peavey model, but from what I hear Peavey did nothing to change the design so I feel comfortable in recommending the GX.

If you want to get one cheap, keep an eye on ebay, yoe an find one for a grand or so.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input Andy and Frank. I am hoping to sample both over the the next month or so. If not I might try mail order if the return policy is generous.

One other question. When did peavey revamp the line?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 AM

I thought the above posts were dead on. I had a Legacy and I too found the width of the fret board up the neck annoying. I to think the GX was their flagship. Both are good guitars.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-29-2015, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I can't really comment on the original question about the GX vs dread (as I've never played a CA dread), however, I bought a GX Performer from Dream Guitars back in 2008 and absolutely love this guitar. IMHO, you cannot beat it in terms of comfort, playability, durability, and staying in tune. I have several other very nice wooden guitars, but if I had to pick just one to have for the rest of my life it would be the GX.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I have a thin neck GX. The neck is similar to my strat which makes bouncing back and forth "seamless" except for string gauge.

The comfort of the GX is one of its biggest assets. The sculpted back and size makes it a perfect for my "medium" body size... I find that smaller guitars, including the smaller CAs don't "fit" as well and the dreads just stick in your ribs.

Another thing to consider is the neck join. There's no heal to get in the way, so playing "upstream" is a breeze. Again, like a strat with heavier strings.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:34 AM

I own a pre-Peavey GX and a pre-Peavey Legacy. The old ones represent a better value in my opinion, but you cannot go wrong with either. To my ear the Legacy is a bit superior but that is made up for by the comfort of the GX design. I play both and like them equally. Play each and buy whichever one speaks to you.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 PM

I still love my GXi (offset soundhole version). Both the comfort and the sound (to my ears) is better than the Legacy which always seemed like a failed way to draw Martin players away from their thing.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:38 AM

Not a lot of help here, but I know I'm really happy with my CA GX!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber