The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-12-2017, 04:48 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

My favorite would have to be the Rainsong APLE. Though this model is discontinued, I feel that it's one of the best ones they've ever put out. Good electronics, great tuners, beautiful sunburst finish, and something about the 12-fret Rainsong's to my ear gives the sweetest tone of the CF's that I've played. See my review of the APLE here and my award for the Shorty SG here.

JR
Old 11-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Rainsongs certainly get a lot of love from CF players. They really know how to make a great guitar. And while not ubiquitous, with a bit of looking you can find them in shops, here and there, to sample and play!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
My favorite would have to be the Rainsong APLE. Though this model is discontinued, I feel that it's one of the best ones they've ever put out. Good electronics, great tuners, beautiful sunburst finish, and something about the 12-fret Rainsong's to my ear gives the sweetest tone of the CF's that I've played. See my review of the APLE here and my award for the Shorty SG here.

JR
And don't forget that unidirectional top. I had an APLE and it was a very nice CF guitar. Love the ergonomics and tone. Was not a fan of the pick up, neck shape or string spacing which is why it didn't last but if you like those things then it was one of the best I've played/owned.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
DHart;

Don't feel bad, I don't even read my posts, but I do read yours, and I don't see a great deal of difference between our positions. It seems to me that most of the people on this forum are explorers and very few seem to stop at the first oasis.

But back to the point, the best cf guitar. As I said, the X10N-OS is the best. But that's the one I most recently played. Today I played my RS Parlor nylon and I am sure that it is the best. When Alistair finishes up my nylon strung electric guitar it might become the best. the Captain is currently devoted to his X20. there are many rooms in the CF castle.

We are blessed with a big body of best CF guitars. Kramster owns most of them, Ted has played them all, I've had somewhere around 10. THE BEST is up for grabs depending on the player.
Wait! Wha? There's an oasis and a castle? I think some of you guys have some kinda resort going here that you aren't telling the rest of us about! I'm here for the guitar stuff. Devoted to the Blonde. I wasn't blessed with a big body, but I'm getting there!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Guest 928

Uh Oh! the Captain is on to us. Lay doggo, know nothing. The oasis is sweet, the castle has central heating--nothing like those primitive boat folks live with.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 AM

I really like the ergonomics and design of Emerald (like the X20), but I prefer the sound of Rainsong.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Between the RS P12, the Journey RT, and the Cargo which one gets the most play time?
I keep two RT Cargos in our vacation home in the local mountains, they've been there for ten years, well before Rainsong offered a Parlor, and before Journey existed, so those guitars obviously got more play time over the years. But my Gloss Cargo, my P12, and my RT660 all live in the city, so they get about the same play time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Rainsongs certainly get a lot of love from CF players. They really know how to make a great guitar. And while not ubiquitous, with a bit of looking you can find them in shops, here and there, to sample and play!
Rainsong has over 100 dealers listed on their site in the US. Ashvin goes to great lengths to make his guitars available to try, and they pay attention to what consumers want. The Shorty, Parlor, and now the affordable CH line are a great example of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
I really like the ergonomics and design of Emerald (like the X20), but I prefer the sound of Rainsong.
I see you still have the SG-FLE, glad to see it has worked out for you.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

I see you still have the SG-FLE, glad to see it has worked out for you.
Yep. I mostly play electric these days, but it's the only acoustic I play. It's a fantastic guitar.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 PM

This thread should have a trigger warning.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Trigger Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
This thread should have a trigger warning.
Yes it should have a trigger warning...

I currently have a Composite Acoustics Cargo which I take everywhere but I'm now salivating over the Rainsong APSE.

I don't think I'd ever term anything "the best", we all have our preferences.

(my first post! )

Last edited by walcop; 11-19-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-19-2017, 07:27 PM

My best would be the Rainsong CO-WS and Emerald X20...but I haven't tried the Mcpherson and Blackbird yet to see if they would take the place.

I will be in Singapore to try the McPherson next month.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walcop View Post
Yes it should have a trigger warning...

I currently have a Composite Acoustics Cargo which I take everywhere but I'm now salivating over the Rainsong APSE.

I don't think I'd ever term anything "the best", we all have our preferences.

(my first post! )
Welcome aboard, walcop! Yep, we all have our preferences... we also have opinions and we aren't afraid to use 'em.

The Cargo is a popular guitar around here. Hang out - you'll see all kinds of CF "bests"!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post

JR
Yes. Me too.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Sorry folks.... the best CF guitar already lives at my house, and you can't have it.

Seriously, "best" is a loaded question. Best for me is likely not the best for you. I hear the sound and feel the neck differently than you do, and you might have an entirely different mental picture of great tone. Otherwise there would be no need for multiple guitar brands and varying approaches to building.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I think the simple answer of the best would probably be top of the line Leviora, but few can afford one.
But is it the best Guitar I've never played?
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber