The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-30-2017, 05:26 PM

Question Blackbird Savoy verses McPherson Touring

Hello Fellow Composite Musicians,

I am on the hunt for the "one"!!! I have played the Savoy earlier this year while visiting with Joe and was impressed with the warmth and overtones. I have also played the first version of the Kevin Michael and agin thought the playability was great and very warm tone. Had a good talk with Larry at McPherson and he mentioned that the 2017 has evolved the model since Ellis Seal leaving to make it a true McPherson .. with improvements to the truss rod, top and a LRBaggs pick up that is specifically tuned to the touring. Both have that great woody tone... but never play both back to back so hard to tell. Have smaller hands so scale not really a problem and at times helpful stretching for some of those complex cords Sting likes to use... ughhh.

I am a strummer and finger picker 50/50 and looking for a guitar that can follow me everywhere but also able to play with friends on occasional gigs and church. or vice versa.. :-). Oh my this is sounding like a personal add... but really could use your help working through the decision process....:-)

I have sold off my stable of emerald and rainsong guitars and in the past have own BB L13 and CA OX and cargos but ready to settle down with the one as I downsize and simplify my life.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!! Realize this is a very subject questions
Old 08-30-2017, 05:45 PM

Tuff call... I think both are oh so excellent. I have a Savoy around here somewhere and it is plenty loud and sounds grrrreat (sorry Tony)... my KM is of course an early one ( think proto type) and still sounds darn good but not as loud. I am sure the new ones are a step up in sound quality. I played them at NAMM and was not a good test as not real quiet and intimate as one would hope....
Both are very comfy and feel right.. to me anyway. That I could tell for sure. Savoy has the wow and new factor and McPherson has those awesome wood cousins ... not that any of this means a hill of cabbage in sound and playability.
Either one is a winner big time... so good luck with this one. Or get both and have at it... may take years to decide.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks Kman!!! I knew I could count on you for your thoughts...seems lots of McPhersons around now that Guitar Center is selling them and offering 15% off. Savoy definitely has the coooool factor and really like supporting the little guy and Joe is a GREAT guy and should be rewarded for his innovation... as you say.. tough call...
Old 08-30-2017, 06:04 PM

Wish I could help more but you have to be the one playing them. I put Clear Tones on the Savoy and I think it got way louder... but agin just me. Guess I need a new McPherson to put through some passes... it never ends I tell you... wait ... I like that part.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I own a Savoy and I purchased a Kevin Michael Touring guitar last year. The tone on the KM was sweet, but I found the fretboard a bit too cramped for my liking. I ended up returning it. If it had a 24 inch or larger scale I would have kept it. All in all, I am very happy the KM didn't work out as it enabled me to justify buying the Savoy as a travel guitar. The Savoy plays like a dream has a sweet woody, mid-rangey tone.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
The Savoy plays like a dream has a sweet woody, mid-rangey tone.
True dat... well put.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM

Cannot comment on Savoy. However, had first generation KM and now the McPherson touring. Strange thing, the top split off the KM body. Upon contacting McPherson... Larry sent out a replacement! WOW. This is hands down, the best customer service I have ever had..... unbelievable!

Larry didn't even wait for the KM to be returned, he sent a new guitar (with my choice of binding color) straight away with a return shipping label.

Not only are the guitars top notch, so is their service. I really didn't expect a n/c replacement.

Anyway, the new McPherson touring is far superior to the KM first generation, of course IMO.

I do dig the look of the ekoa material and may even pick up a Savoy at some time.

First in line however is a Sable McPherson!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:59 AM

Thanks Mekl21 and unknown for your feedback... good to know that the Touring as improved... have not seen a lot of press on the changes and sound impact. Great to know... perhaps Kman is right get both... but you can see how this is a slippery slope....this is the wrong audience to narrow down guitars I guess.. hahahahha
Old 08-31-2017, 05:03 AM

You narrowed it down already which is tuff to do in the first place. And you have 2 most excellent choices at that.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:10 AM

So, which did you go with, Chris?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Hello Fellow CFers,

I thought I would checkin with everyone and let you know "the rest of the story" After much thought and playing I have gone ALL in with ekoa and have ordered the Savoy and El Capitan through Ted @ LA Guitars. Joe was very gracious last spring when I was in town and had the chance to sit quietly with both guitars and play them and get to see/hear these guitars through the eyes of Joe. They are truly amazing and as I said to Joe this week ... he ruined me for all other guitars frankly whether they are carbon or wood. That planted the seed in my mind many months ago with my visit to "the nest" in San Fran.

Ted was very responsive to all my questions and gave great advice having sold so many of these and with his close relationship with Joe helped make this decision very easy. These guitars are also coming with K&K pickups which based on the guitar designs are easier to dial in then guitars with off set soundholes and traditional CF guitars because of CF strength may not have a traditional sound plate to mount according to Joe.

Anyway.. now the hard part .. waiting for the Savoy by Christmas and the Captain joining me in Jan/Feb.

If you have a chance to play any of these locally .. I would highly recommend and working with Ted/Joe doesn't get any better than this. It is rare in business you get to work with the inventor and such a great dealer. I highly recommend for those looking for the "one" or possibly the "two"... I fully expect a farallon to join the family by summer time... just in time for vacations on the beach.

Thanks everyone for your insights and thoughts...

Chris
Old 11-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Finally. I was very interested in what you were going to go with. I bought a savoy from Ted and it's my favorite guitar I've owned. I also have a farallon coming the beginning of December. Enjoy the wait!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Thanks Bry...hey quick question...did you go with the sound port...just wondering if you did and welcome your review
Old 11-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Blackbird Savoy verses McPherson Touring

I have a sound port on the savoy and I ordered the farallon with a sound port as well.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanks Bry.. sorry.. yes on your Farallon.... looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the port and its value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber