The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Default Blackbird El Capitan Vs Emerald X20 Artisan

I am torn between these two guitars. Recent posts of the Blackbird Ekoa with burst and the Select Series Emerald Koa X20 have me worked up. Unfortunately I have yet to have the opportunity to play either. Can anyone who has played both, give me a comparison ?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I can only offer that if cost is at all a consideration for you, the X20, even a woody top, is MUCH less expensive than the El Capitan.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:30 PM

If money was no object, I would probably go for the El Capitan as I already have the X20. If I didn't have the X20 and money was no object then I would go for the X20.

I played one of the first El Capitans available and thought it was great but not enough to get it since I already had the X20 and a Lucky 13 on order at the time. The X20 has better ergonomics in my opinion than the El Capitan, but I like the smaller scale of the Lucky better which is why I don't have an El Capitan.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 PM

Aha! I am uniquely qualified having owned both and having sold the X20...curious? Read on...

Easy stuff out of the way- Ergonomics- X20 obviously, curves and soundport are truly amazing, I actually preferred the "ice" finish to the gloss

Looks- For what I do- leading at church every week- although i loved the X20, i felt like the abnormal curves and appearance could be somewhat distracting. I think probably 95% of people didn't notice, but some did, and I think the eKoa is stunning to look at, and I love the "velvet" sort of matte finish to the top

Electronics- I actually LOVE the misi pickup in the El Capitan. Plug and play, it sounds fantastic, I can dial in amazing tone almost immediately and although I know it's a UST at the base of all things, it certainly interacts with the guitar for a great tone.

Tone- The crux of the issue. Both are fantastic, i know that's not helpful, but here's how I made my choice
X20- Pure tone. Great volume, clarity, balance, but to ME, very little character. Absolutely loved it until I got the El Capitan

El Capitan- It truly gives you the wood tone. When I played it next to the X20, it actually initially sounded a little "boxy" but once I played enough, I came to love the tone, and sound. Honestly? Probably more bass coming out of the X20, but for me, the combo of plugged in tone, acoustic tone, and looks made the x20 an easy sell, and I felt like they filled the same space in my collection. Oh! And i added a soundport on the side of my El Capitan and I think it makes a world of difference to the player. Hope this helps!

Now I'm looking at adding a small guitar for travel and couch/recliner. X7 i think, I played one that was sent to me by accident from Emerald when I bought the X20 and it was quite impressive.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

That's a really good review and comparison !
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post
Now I'm looking at adding a small guitar for travel and couch/recliner. X7 i think, I played one that was sent to me by accident from Emerald when I bought the X20 and it was quite impressive.
That's the kind of accident I would like. Enjoyed reading your review too.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post
Aha! I am uniquely qualified having owned both and having sold the X20...curious? Read on...

Easy stuff out of the way- Ergonomics- X20 obviously, curves and soundport are truly amazing, I actually preferred the "ice" finish to the gloss

Looks- For what I do- leading at church every week- although i loved the X20, i felt like the abnormal curves and appearance could be somewhat distracting. I think probably 95% of people didn't notice, but some did, and I think the eKoa is stunning to look at, and I love the "velvet" sort of matte finish to the top

Electronics- I actually LOVE the misi pickup in the El Capitan. Plug and play, it sounds fantastic, I can dial in amazing tone almost immediately and although I know it's a UST at the base of all things, it certainly interacts with the guitar for a great tone.

Tone- The crux of the issue. Both are fantastic, i know that's not helpful, but here's how I made my choice
X20- Pure tone. Great volume, clarity, balance, but to ME, very little character. Absolutely loved it until I got the El Capitan

El Capitan- It truly gives you the wood tone. When I played it next to the X20, it actually initially sounded a little "boxy" but once I played enough, I came to love the tone, and sound. Honestly? Probably more bass coming out of the X20, but for me, the combo of plugged in tone, acoustic tone, and looks made the x20 an easy sell, and I felt like they filled the same space in my collection. Oh! And i added a soundport on the side of my El Capitan and I think it makes a world of difference to the player. Hope this helps!

Excellent review, thank you!
I wonder now how the El Capitan would compare to my Hi Gloss Legacy? hmmm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber