The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
You're in the minority, it seems, about magnetic pickups. Most people find them sterile and lacking the ability to accurately generate the guitars natural tone. I'm far from an expert. All I do know is that I generally prefer the simplicity of the K&K type SBT systems.

Until recently I've had no experience with magnetic pickups. I picked up an LR Baggs M80 in a trade and kept it around just to have something handy to put into any guitar I acquired that needed a pickup until such time that I could get a K&K installed. I just picked bought a used Martin 000-18GE that had a Lyric pickup system that was awful so I yanked that out and put the M80 in and it's not too bad.

I don't know if it's because of the internal mic combo but the tone is fairly decent. One thing most people do agree on with mag pups is that they tend to be naturally feedback resistant. So I'm going to leave that pup in there for now and test that out at some local open mic venues where I've had feedback issues before with K&K guitars.
Yep I'm always in the minority! Don't get me wrong. I like USTs and SBTs just fine. Some guitars work better with a combination of systems.
I think your GE sounds anything but sterile. It sounds great.
Good idea to try it out with different sound systems. I think you'll find that you can get more volume and less feedback. As you said...
http://www.fingerpick.com/pickups.htm
Old 11-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Guest 928

Methos;

Years ago, I spent five years running through more than 40 nylon string guitars. When you start hunting for your ideal instrument there are a lot of considerations and a lot of tradeoffs. There were a few guitars that I sold the same day they arrived.

That was before I got to carbon fiber instruments. Thank goodness there are not that many nylon string cf guitars and it's been fairly easy cruising through the options, even with a few stops to check some steel string instruments.

The CF guitars that I've let go went with a certain amount of anguish. It wasn't that they were bad, it's just that I'm trying to get it down to two guitars and I find that my taste has changed with age. The RS Parlor and the Emerald X10-OSN have made themselves at home and, so far, are the two keepers. Good luck with your new guitars.

I can understand your quick change and it's neat that you passed the guitar along to someone who obviously really wanted it. Way Cool.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Methos;

Years ago, I spent five years running through more than 40 nylon string guitars. When you start hunting for your ideal instrument there are a lot of considerations and a lot of tradeoffs. There were a few guitars that I sold the same day they arrived.

That was before I got to carbon fiber instruments. Thank goodness there are not that many nylon string cf guitars and it's been fairly easy cruising through the options, even with a few stops to check some steel string instruments.

The CF guitars that I've let go went with a certain amount of anguish. It wasn't that they were bad, it's just that I'm trying to get it down to two guitars and I find that my taste has changed with age. The RS Parlor and the Emerald X10-OSN have made themselves at home and, so far, are the two keepers. Good luck with your new guitars.

I can understand your quick change and it's neat that you passed the guitar along to someone who obviously really wanted it. Way Cool.
I'm not so much searching for my ideal guitar as just having a really fun time trying everything out that peaks my fancy on AGF. Like you I'm a two-guitar guy. And I think the only way I'll honestly ever stay with just two guitars is to JUST STAY OFF AGF CLASSIFIEDS!!!

But where's the fun in that?!?

I hear you on letting the CF guitars go. They are all so special and unique unto themselves. It's almost always either the neck shape or the pickups. Or both. The first X20 was because of that as was a Rainsong Shorty APLE. And of course the X7.

Here's hoping the X20 custom solves that. I'm really digging this new (to me) Martin 000-18GE Custom. This one could be a keeper for a long time. But I've also said that about several other 'keepers' in the last few years!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Guest 928

You know, Alistair is also working with a relative new pickup. And the search goes on....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber