The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-20-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Rainsong Buzzing

Hey Everyone,

So I recently purchased a Rainsong Concert Series (CO-WS1100N2) and I'm having a problem with isolating a buzzing noise coming from the bridge area. I have several weird observations that I will mention in the hopes that it will help someone figure out the problem.

1. The buzz happens most often with the E, A, D, G strings. I don't think I've ever heard it from the B or high E string.

2. The buzz seems to be most prominent when holding the guitar in a normal playing position. If you flip the guitar on its back and pluck the string, the buzz goes away or is majorly diminished (likewise if you stand the guitar upright the buzz disappears).

3. I'm positive the buzz is coming from somewhere inside the body of the guitar and is not from the frets.

I got so annoyed with the problem last night that I took off every string but the low E string and stuck my hand in the sound hole while plucking the string. I even felt the ball of the string while plucking the note to ensure that the string was seated properly against the underside of the bridge. I'm totally confused as to what is causing the buzz. I felt around inside the guitar for a good 30 minutes trying to find a lose piece of carbon fiber or something but I was unable to. Does anyone have any ideas? This has happened with several different brand of strings. I'm sure it isn't the saddle as I've held it with my fingers while plucking the string and that hasn't helped. I've e-mailed Rainsong but have yet to hear a response from them.

Does anyone know if the bridge on a Rainsong is hollow? I'm starting to wonder if something is trapped under the bridge.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:29 AM

If it has the barn door electronics, my guess would be that. If you press down on the electronics, does it go away?

I experienced something similar in my Shorty when I first got it. Check out this thread for some discussion about it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=267201
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 01-20-2016, 12:09 PM

My version does not have electronics, so that can't be it. I did happen to just now get a response from Rainsong so I figured I would post it here in case someone else needs this advice in the future:

Quote:
As a first thought, please check the nuts under the bridge to make sure they are secure (finger tighten). If these are not secure, the washers can rattle. Similarly, check that the nuts on the neck heel on the inside of the body are secure and that the washers are not loose. Another thing to try would be to hold the instrument with your ear close to the sound hole and shake it. There should not be any rattling sounds.

Is the buzzing only in the open position? If so, the nut slots may be too deep.

We will contact you further next week.

Best regards.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Usually its related to a wire from the electronics buzzing against some vibrating part of the guitar. Reach in side a move the wires around some and see if you can get it to go away. It can also be a nut holding the end pin jack coming loose but that is less likely. I had this problem with a Breedlove I used to have and it drove me nuts until I got it sorted out.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:36 PM

I had a little buzzing when one of the nuts under the bridge was loose (just like in the RS email response).
Old 01-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabo View Post
My version does not have electronics, so that can't be it. I did happen to just now get a response from Rainsong so I figured I would post it here in case someone else needs this advice in the future:
Did that fix the buzzing?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

The bridge is bolted on with 2-3 nuts and bolts (forget how many).

It's possible if one came loose there might be a bit of sound, but should be a very simple fix to bring to a silent state again.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:29 AM

When all else fails, check with Frank:

FRETS.COM: Chasing the Mystery Buzz
http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...buzzintro.html
Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 AM

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I didn't get a chance to try and fix the buzz last night but I plan to look at it again tonight. I'll report back either later tonight or sometime tomorrow to let everyone know if I figured out the problem.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 PM

Just figured I would post an update. Using the "Chasing the Mystery Buzz" link posted above I was able to deduce the following:

1. With no strings on the guitar and no saddle in the bridge I can rap my finger against the guitar body and hear something vibrating.

2. I've felt inside the body and all the nuts/washers underneath the bridge feel tight.

I'm kind of stuck now as to what to do. I feel like whatever it is is stuck between the bridge and the top of the soundboard, I just don't know if the bridge is hollow or solid so my hypothesis might not be plausible. At this point unless someone else has any ideas I'll try and contact Rainsong again and see what they suggest. I have a strong feeling that I'm going to have to send it back to them for them to work on it.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Hi Mabo,

A buzz without strings, or saddle on the guitar, leaves only the tuners. If not the tuners than something is amiss. I would suggest you contact the dealer you got it from so they can get it back to Rainsong.

Good luck, and let us know what it was once you get to the bottom of it.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Mabo,

A buzz without strings, or saddle on the guitar, leaves only the tuners. If not the tuners than something is amiss. I would suggest you contact the dealer you got it from so they can get it back to Rainsong.

Good luck, and let us know what it was once you get to the bottom of it.
...what would a person do if their dealer was Macnichol G&M?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 AM

......call Rainsong directly? I've spoken to them on a few occasions and they have been nothing but helpful and nice folks. And they should be back from NAMM by now.
I still suspect a pickup wire inside the body, but I see you don't have electronics. The only other thing to consider is the strap buttons, or take off the tuning machines and see if there is still a buzz.

Last edited by Earl49; 01-27-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 PM

It's a mystery. Just throwing out some more ideas, FWIW: If the strap button, end pin and tuners all check out ok, use an inspection mirror & flashlight to see what you can see inside. And yes, call Rainsong. They've been very responsive when I've had questions. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
...what would a person do if their dealer was Macnichol G&M?
In that case they would be on their own, but still in very, very good hands with Rainsong. As it turns out, I just found out the OP bought this guitar from us, so he's got more than enough eyes on this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
buzz, buzz noise, buzzing, rainsong