The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-26-2024, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Those are superb looking tuners!! Couldn't be happier with my Scheller tuners, now on 2 of my guitars!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 03-27-2024, 08:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Those are superb looking tuners!! Couldn't be happier with my Scheller tuners, now on 2 of my guitars!!
Thanks Jeff. I wanted to lighten up the headstock a little bit because the Leopardwood is a bit heavier than Mahogany. Between the tuners and the titanium truss rod I got the neck balance where I want it. Plus I really fell for this tuner design in the process!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 03-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yow!

Dang, Mark!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL guitar. Way to GO!

No way this will be coming back home with you from Artisan…

I second the artistic photo comments, too! Your pics are so enticing.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-28-2024, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Dang, Mark!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL guitar. Way to GO!

No way this will be coming back home with you from Artisan…

I second the artistic photo comments, too! Your pics are so enticing.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul, This one is coming together nicely. More i
pics soon!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-28-2024, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I can't get over how that wood looks like it's raised textured

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-28-2024, 04:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I can't get over how that wood looks like it's raised textured
It is unusual wood. The spots are the ends of the huge medullary rays that run through the wood. They only really show on the surface of we quartered wood. The contrast does make them look raised.

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-29-2024, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Strung Up

I've got my Josie small jumbo all strung up for the Artisan Show in a few weeks:

Cedar on Wenge and the Hatcher voice comes through wonderfully!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-29-2024, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Very nice work Mark. I wish I could attend Artisan to be able to check this beauty out. I'm sure it'll receive a lot of attention.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:02 AM

I am speechless. In complete awe with this elegant beauty. You can't see me but I'm standing up clapping.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Very nice work Mark. I wish I could attend Artisan to be able to check this beauty out. I'm sure it'll receive a lot of attention.
Thanks nootis, sorry you can’t make it to the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelko View Post
I am speechless. In complete awe with this elegant beauty. You can't see me but I'm standing up clapping.
Thank you Chelko and thank you for your applause!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-30-2024, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Shamelessly begging for a video with sound on this guitar!

In the meantime..can you describe the tone of this masterpiece?
Old 03-31-2024, 04:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Shamelessly begging for a video with sound on this guitar!

In the meantime..can you describe the tone of this masterpiece?
Thanks AcousticDreams. At this point the guitar has been strung up for less than a week and it has a temporary Maple saddle while it settles into it's new life as a guitar.

I had tonal goals for this guitar and all indicators are I am getting what I want. To put a recording out now would not represent what the guitar will sound like when it is demoed at the Artisan Show in a few weeks.

I've been working through this new guitar break-in period long enough to know where it is going. I can describe that:

First off, my guitars have a characteristic sound and response that I have spent the last 24 years working to define and achieve. My targets are: even response across the strings and up and down the fretboard.
I shoot for clean fundamentals and controlled overtones, which is to say if you strum an open E chord, I want to hear the fundamental tones of each string and I want to keep hearing them from each string until they gradually fade out at the same time. Overtones are OK but they should never cloud up the fundamentals.

I want fast response with in-your-face presence and clean, full round trebles
which carry over to clarify the mids and keep the strong base response crisp.

One of my favorite top woods is Western Red Cedar. I like how fast it responds and how full and rich it is. Western Red Cedar has a reputation for not having a lot of headroom. I have long devoted myself to proving that myth can be debunked when the guitar is properly braced and voiced.

There are a number of Lacewood species out there that Leopardwood gets lumped in with. I'm using the heavier Leopardwood that has similar characteristics to Wenge. Like Wenge it leans more toward Rosewood than Mahogany.

I individually voice my tops and backs to work with each other. Having a clean resonate back contributes greatly to the air inside the guitar where the sound marinates before being broadcast off/through the top.

Dustin Furlow will be demoing my guitars at noon on Sunday at the upcoming Artisan show. There is not a way to get a clean representative recording at one of these events. Hopefully, you can make it to the show. If not there will be AGFers attending who can say whether I reached my goals. I'm getting some early interest in this guitar and hopefully it will sell there. If it does please know I still have more sister sets of both the Leopardwood and Cedar.

Mark

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-31-2024 at 11:41 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 03-31-2024, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks AcousticDreams. At this point the guitar has been strung up for less than a week and it has a temporary Maple saddle while it settles into it's new life as a guitar.

I had tonal goals for this guitar and all indicators are I am getting what I want. To put a recording out now would not represent what the guitar will sound like when it is demoed at the Artisan Show in a few weeks.

I've been working through this new guitar break-in period long enough to know where it is going. I can describe that:

First off, my guitars have a characteristic sound and response that I have spent the last 24 years working to define and achieve. My targets are: even response across the strings and up and down the fretboard.
I shoot for clean fundamentals and controlled overtones, which is to say if you strum an open E chord, I want to hear the fundamental tones of each string and I want to keep hearing them from each string until they gradually fade out at the same time. Overtones are OK but they should never cloud up the fundamentals.

I want fast response with in-your-face presence and clean, full round trebles
which carry over to clarify the mids and keep the strong base response crisp.

One of my favorite top woods is Western Red Cedar. I like how fast it responds and how full and rich it is. Western Red Cedar has a reputation for not having a lot of headroom. I have long devoted myself to proving that myth can be debunked when the guitar is properly braced and voiced.

There are a number of Leopardwood species out there. I'm using the heavier one that has similar characteristics to Wenge. Like Wenge it leans more toward Rosewood than Mahogany.

I individually voice my tops and backs to work with each other. Having a clean resonate back contributes greatly to the air inside the guitar where the sound marinates before being broadcast off/through the top.

Dustin Furlow will be demoing my guitars at noon on Sunday at the upcoming Artisan show. There is not a way to get a clean representative recording at one of these events. Hopefully, you can make it to the show. If not there will be AGFers attending who can say whether I reached my goals. I'm getting some early interest in this guitar and hopefully it will sell there. If it does please know I still have more sister sets of both the Leopardwood and Cedar.

Mark
Fantastic Description of your goals! And is exactly what I have discovered is best for my style of music. Especially since I use two, three, four open chord configurations on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I have had little experience with Western Red Cedar. From your description sounds very inviting, especially since you can get the headroom needed.

While I am reasonably familiar with the other woods that look similar to Leopardwood (but are totally different, such as Lacewood & Silky Oak, and are much lighter in weight and specific gravity) I did not know that there were other species of the South American Leopard wood. Would love to learn more about this.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Fantastic Description of your goals! And is exactly what I have discovered is best for my style of music. Especially since I use two, three, four open chord configurations on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I have had little experience with Western Red Cedar. From your description sounds very inviting, especially since you can get the headroom needed.

While I am reasonably familiar with the other woods that look similar to Leopardwood (but are totally different, such as Lacewood & Silky Oak, and are much lighter in weight and specific gravity) I did not know that there were other species of the South American Leopard wood. Would love to learn more about this.
Thanks AcousticDreams, Western Red Cedar is a pretty popular top for small jumbo guitars. Although small jumbos are similar in size to a dreadnought they usually are set up and sound more like a larger grand auditorium while the dreadnought goes more for its own characteristics with the booming bass. Cedar is a top that helps keep a more overall balance on a small jumbo.

I should have said there a lot of species of Lacewood that Leopardwood often gets lumped in with.

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-31-2024 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 04-04-2024, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
The Scheller tuners came late yesterday:

Notice the string posts ride on sealed bearings. The support collars for the tuner button/worm gear posts also contain sealed bearings.
This precision cuts backlash down to almost nothing, especially compared to any factory tuners.

I designed this new headstock with the intention of using 3-on-plate tuners.
I like the look, lighter weight and added stability they provide.
It's rare to get all of these three things together at once!
I should also mention how incredibly smooth these tuners are.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark
Mark, that is a beautiful combination! Irony happened when I saw those tuners a couple days ago and thought wow those look fantastic!

And then this morning I took down my Hanika Classical and noticed it had these tuners on it:

https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...o-light-series

I have been very happy with the Rubners. I'm curious how the Scheller's would compare they look to be world class.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-04-2024 at 11:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop