The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Do Thomastik-Infeld strings create less tension than other comparably gauged strings.

Does anyone know if Thomastik strings create less tension than comparably gauged other manufacturers strings?
Old 02-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Which ones?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Bob, the Plectrums by TI are definitely low tension. You can find out more here - http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/family-detail/Plectrum

I’ve used them for a number of years, partly to reduce the effort for fingerpicking with my injured right hand and in one case to “tame” a guitar with a particularly fast attack. They have been great in both situations and I find they last well. Slightly muted tone compared to, say Martin SPs

More recently I have largely switched to Newtone strings and they have a line called Heritage that is also focussed on low tension - https://www.newtonestrings.com/shop/...stic-6-string/ . Slightly brighter sound compared with the Plectrums and quite a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps,
Col
Old 02-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo Bob View Post
Does anyone know if Thomastik strings create less tension than comparably gauged other manufacturers strings?
They are certainly easier to play than comparably gauged strings from other manufacturers (e.g., DR Sunbeams), at least in my experience. I suspect that the actual tension is indeed lower, too, because the TI Plectrums are more likely to require increasing the fretboard relief (truss rod adjustment) to avoid buzzing.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion