The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2021, 08:49 AM

Default Guitar teacher in Oklahoma City

Good morning,

I was hoping that someone on AGF could point me in the right direction. I am currently looking for a guitar teacher in The Oklahoma City area. I am interested in music theory, as it relates to guitar and Fingerstyle. I’ve had a hard time locating someone locally and was hoping to get some help. I searched on here last week and found one post about teachers in OKC and now I cannot find it anywhere.

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2021, 10:27 AM

Bump for any help or advise! Thank you!
Old 08-26-2021, 10:41 AM

Dutch

I can't help out with a teacher, but am now following this thread with interest to see what you find!
Old 08-26-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been in Edmond a couple of years and am also having trouble. I may start with mandolin lessons with a guy at Edmond Music. I think he teaches guitar, as well. If I meet with him and am impressed, I’ll let you know.

There’s a guy in Tulsa at Bishline that I took theory from several years ago. I got a PhD level education in theory over several months (well, it felt like it). Of course, I’ve forgotten most of it by now. Be careful what you wish, for. The subject is pretty dry.

If you find someone, please post in here. I may want to use him, as well.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:01 AM

If you are willing to do lessons via Zoom, Richard Gilewitz can probably give you exactly what you are looking for. I've been taking lessons from him since 12/20 (via Zoom, which I never thought could work…but it does), and am very happy with the doors he is opening, and the skills he is teaching me.

https://www.richardgilewitz.com/

I used to take in person lessons when I lived in the SF Bay Area, and i really enjoyed my teacher, so the personal contact was nice. He was a good teacher and a very fine guitarist (his CD’s continue to be among my all time favorites). But Richard is a much more complete musician than that fellow, so that more than makes up for the loss of that more human contact.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:56 AM

Thank you for your replies! After a lot of searching, I have two options that I’m looking into. If either check out, I will certainly report back to the board!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion