The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 07:54 AM

Default Came Across Another Neck Sunken Godin

Checked out a pawn shop yesterday and was looking at a cool little Art & Lutherie parlor, $200 CAD. It had high action at the 12th, playable I'd say, but would be uncomfortable/annoying higher up the neck. Looked at the bridge, the saddle had been sanded down to a point where there is essentially zero break on some strings. You wouldn't be able to get that saddle any lower, it's too low already. Appeared to be a post 06. Anyway, poor soul who spends money on that, hopefully they know what's up and get it dirt cheap and can get a year or two out of it.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Even if it didn't have the epoxied neck I doubt anyone would pay for a reset on a $200 guitar. There are plenty of guitars like that floating around.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:53 AM

Whew - glad I traded my A&L Roadhouse parlor towards something else last week (just not liking the tone).
I had just set it up and had to sand the saddle a bit - more then other guitars but didn't SEEM like it was anything crazy. Huh.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Even if it didn't have the epoxied neck I doubt anyone would pay for a reset on a $200 guitar. There are plenty of guitars like that floating around.
True, but I know a number of people who have done their own neck resets for free, besides the glue cost.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
Whew - glad I traded my A&L Roadhouse parlor towards something else last week (just not liking the tone).
I had just set it up and had to sand the saddle a bit - more then other guitars but didn't SEEM like it was anything crazy. Huh.
Yeah, if I were to buy a new one I'd make sure the angle is good. There's a brand new Simon & Patrick Woodland Cedar nearby at a store I liked at a while ago while checking out guitars, it had not a great neck angle right off the hop, high action at 12th, the saddle could be sanded down but it was a particularly high saddle to begin with. The Seagull next to it, also brand new, has a good action and good saddle height. Again, some poor soul will end up with the S&P, hopefully it won't have issues too soon.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Checked out a pawn shop yesterday and was looking at a cool little Art & Lutherie parlor, $200 CAD. It had high action at the 12th, playable I'd say, but would be uncomfortable/annoying higher up the neck. Looked at the bridge, the saddle had been sanded down to a point where there is essentially zero break on some strings. You wouldn't be able to get that saddle any lower, it's too low already. Appeared to be a post 06. Anyway, poor soul who spends money on that, hopefully they know what's up and get it dirt cheap and can get a year or two out of it.
Another neck sunken Godin? I have yet to come across one. I have had five Seagull guitars. I currently have four. Two of them are over twenty years old. I have one of the new (2021) Artist Series dreads with the epoxied neck. It plays and sounds great. I think I'll keep it.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:12 PM

I would shave the BRIDGE a bit, drill holes in the crease behind the saddle
and pass strings from inside the body.

That is the surgery I had done on my Aria AC nylon to extend its life.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
Another neck sunken Godin? I have yet to come across one. I have had five Seagull guitars. I currently have four. Two of them are over twenty years old. I have one of the new (2021) Artist Series dreads with the epoxied neck. It plays and sounds great. I think I'll keep it.
I have 3 Seagulls (epoxied) with great neck angles. I'm not going to worry about what MIGHT happen in 20 years.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I have 3 Seagulls (epoxied) with great neck angles. I'm not going to worry about what MIGHT happen in 20 years.
Yep, I own 4, oldest is a 2004 and another from 2008 and the neck angle is fine on all.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:33 PM

I'm glad you guys haven't had issues, I like these guitars otherwise!
I've had a Godin, 2 S&P's and 1 Seagull. The Godin's nexk sunk at about year 10. My friend has a cool Seagull folk in need of a reset, still playable but I lowered the saddle as much as it can go now. I know a guy that got burned with a Seagull too, second hand so no warranty.
It happens, but probably not often, though I've personally experienced it and seen it a few times now. Enjoy them, you may not need a reset for many years, I fully support that sentiment if it doesn't bother you. It bothers me though, so I can't enjoy them anymore, too sour after my experience. I do love a cedar/ cherry combo though, I've owned a couple and I love the sound.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I'm glad you guys haven't had issues, I like these guitars otherwise!
I've had a Godin, 2 S&P's and 1 Seagull. The Godin's nexk sunk at about year 10.
I wasn't aware that Godin was making flattop acoustics under its own name ten years ago.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-31-2022, 06:51 PM

my 05 mini jumbo is fine
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 05-31-2022, 06:58 PM

Please excuse my ignorance but is an epoxy neck joint difficult to heat and remove?

I remember reading that old Yamaha guitars had epoxy necks and these guitars are getting neck re-sets.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I wasn't aware that Godin was making flattop acoustics under its own name ten years ago.
They weren't, it's an archtop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but is an epoxy neck joint difficult to heat and remove?

I remember reading that old Yamaha guitars had epoxy necks and these guitars are getting neck re-sets.
Yes, pretty well impossible. Most old epoxy Yamaha's get bolt on conversion maybe.
I talked to one guitar repair a little while ago and he said he can't do a neck reset on them because of the epoxy, and also that a bolt on conversion wasn't an option for him because of the truss rod or something. Godin just destroys them if they come back on warranty I assume as they just send you a different guitar instead.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion