The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 03:03 AM

Default OM28

As discussed in a previous topic, I recently purchased the GPC16E but didn't get on with it, mainly it was quite bass'y and dull overall. The action wasn't ideal either but I know that can be changed.

I've been watching videos of the D28 and I really like the sound of that (I know that can be misleading though as they're edited etc) but don't want a dreadnaught, so looking at the OM28, but unsure whether to try that or the OM28E. I would only need the pickup for recording as I'd be highly unlikely to play live, but I heard recording via DI always sounds worse than mic's so not sure whether its worth paying that much more for the E version.

Basically is it worth looking at the OM28 or would I run into similar problems as I had with the GPC16E?
Old 05-31-2022, 04:16 AM

I just recently purchased a used Martin OM28 and love it. I went to a local Martin dealer to purchase a D18 or D28 but didn't really think I could get used to the larger body style after playing Fender's for nearly 20 years. They happened to have a Martin Custom Shop OM Model and I loved it. It was just the right size for me but I couldn't afford the used price of $4K. So, I found a OM28 and had it professionally setup once I received it and love it. I only play occasionally and don't need amplification. Try to find one and see how it goes.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It is worth looking at an OM-28. I've just gone through this process of trying out that particular guitar - an OM-28 Standard Reimagined. I found it to be well balanced, not as bright as most Taylors, and with a fuller bass. Now, the bass isn't overwhelming at all. I think perhaps "balanced and woody" would be the best description of the OM-28. I wrote up a review, HERE. Watch the Vince Gill video. He collects vintage Martins and lets you hear several 000 guitars, which have the same body as the OM but shorter scale, giving them a little rounder tone.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-31-2022, 04:55 AM

It's a lovely guitar. You could always have a K&K (or other pickup) installed later if you find you need one. Last I knew they ran about $100.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-31-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklcfc View Post
I would only need the pickup for recording as I'd be highly unlikely to play live, but I heard recording via DI always sounds worse than mic's so not sure whether its worth paying that much more for the E version.
I'd concur with that. I've tried recording through my LR Baggs Anthem which is a great pickup for playing live but the sound on recordings is quite artificial compared to a relatively inexpensive large diaphragm condenser mic (the AT2035). I'd go for the OM28 without the electronics if you have no intention of playing live.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
… I would only need the pickup for recording as I'd be highly unlikely to play live, but I heard recording via DI always sounds worse than mic's so not sure whether its worth paying that much more for the E version.
Another thought is to get the OM28 without the pickup and put the extra $400 that you save into a decent mic or two. A benefit to this- I have to believe that there are more non-pickup OM28s (or other OMs) out there to test drive, making it easier to find the one that grabs your heart.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

The Martin OM28 is magnificent. It is hard to imagine you wouldn't love the tone and balance as it is the classic Martin wood combination in a nice comfortable smaller body. Still has bass, but not strong bass like a Dread. Want stronger bass? Then you want the mighty 0000 Martin - all the bass of the Dread, all the comfort of the OM.

As for a pickup, I'd strongly advise you NOT to install a pickup for recording. You will get exponentially better tone even by throwing a cheap SM57 in front of that guitar than you ever will with a pickup direct recorded.

Pickups are designed to do their best replicating the guitar through a PA or amp. but for recording, you will always be better off with an external mic. Of course, you can go crazy with mics, but hey now, even a Zoom digi recorder with an external mic can get a really nice, natural acoustic tone.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 05-31-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I have the omc-28e standard reimagined and it’s my favorite guitar - I’m never giving it up. It has a very balanced sound- bass is present but not overwhelming, and it’s very rich overall. My came with a baggs anthem, which is my favorite pickup system, but when recording it still sounds better miked.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I have the omc-28e standard reimagined and it’s my favorite guitar - I’m never giving it up. It has a very balanced sound- bass is present but not overwhelming, and it’s very rich overall. My came with a baggs anthem, which is my favorite pickup system, but when recording it still sounds better miked.
I'd prefer a cutaway, can only find this one which has some marks/scratches on the back from what I see https://reverb.com/uk/item/55061498-...8-e-2015-amber
Old 05-31-2022, 11:29 AM

I purchased a new OM-28E last year. Some come with the Baggs pickup and some have Fishman. It seems to depend on which dealer you buy it from so if you have a preference read the specs from different stores before buying. I haven't used the pickup yet since I only play at home so I could have saved money or got a deluxe model without the pickup. A pickup of your choice can be added later if the need arises.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I'd prefer a cutaway, can only find this one which has some marks/scratches on the back from what I see https://reverb.com/uk/item/55061498-...8-e-2015-amber
how absolute is the cutaway for you? the OM-21 is a slightly less expensive version that is structurally the same as the 28 but with different aesthetic appointments - but tonewoods, bracing, neck, etc. are exactly the same. but no cutaway.

i am also concerned that the GPC-16E that you did not take to is an OM-depth. if you were lacking in bass-response, it is likely that an OMC won't give you much more even if you get a dovetail neckjoint and better bracing that comes with the standard series.

anyways, i don't mean to deter you from your goal and if it's an OMC that you want, then feel free to get it, but you will not get significantly more bass response out of it.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:43 PM

it's your decision to make, and I get the attraction toward the cutaway, I know a lot people who say not having one is a deal breaker.

but if you have a good line on a OM with out, I'd say may be rethink the requirement for a cutaway. I've got 4 acoustics without a cutaway, and 2 with.

I honestly do not miss the cutaway on the guitars that do not have one

(SJ200, Taylor Grand Symphony, Guild 12 String and a Yari Dy74 - it's pretty much a D28)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-31-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
how absolute is the cutaway for you? the OM-21 is a slightly less expensive version that is structurally the same as the 28 but with different aesthetic appointments - but tonewoods, bracing, neck, etc. are exactly the same. but no cutaway.

i am also concerned that the GPC-16E that you did not take to is an OM-depth. if you were lacking in bass-response, it is likely that an OMC won't give you much more even if you get a dovetail neckjoint and better bracing that comes with the standard series.

anyways, i don't mean to deter you from your goal and if it's an OMC that you want, then feel free to get it, but you will not get significantly more bass response out of it.
I’d prefer a cutaway as I do play further up sometimes when using a capo. Hence why I was looking at the gpc and also the omc15-me which I’ve not tried.
I suppose it’s all a bit unknown and I only go by what I’ve heard and singers I like that have played the d28 and d35.
I actually found the gpc quite dull and the bass quite overpowering.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah my model is a 2018; I think they discontinued it in 2019. Hard to tell about those scratches- they might be hard to see, like the seller says, except at the right angle. I’m not sure though.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:00 PM

I was focused on having a cutaway. After various experiments, I decided I wanted to go with a guitar that played/sounded like I wanted, and cutaway became a secondary (or tertiary) consideration. Ended up with the two in my sig. I will say that the onboard Fishman Aura on the MD sounds quite good. I do play live, and while I’d likely mic for recording, I actually would mic and take the DI and see which I preferred (or mix and match).

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion