The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Halcyon build wait time

Sorry if this is borderline on obsessive , but I was wondering about your experiences with Halcyon's wait times for custom builds. I am currently 6 months in to my wait and Ed told me it'd be 18 months total. Does that mean I currently have 12 months until my guitar is completed or 12 months until the build begins?

I'm just curious. I'm trying really hard not to buy anything in the interim but it's getting more and more difficult. Iris and 28s and Waterloos and Brooks and well-used Santa Cruz's are tempting me bad.

Any experiences you want to share on the wait time and build process are welcome! May as well talk about it to pass the time. I'm number 329. If I knew what number he's on now that might help get an idea.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:48 AM

Default a thought

Ask Ed. He's the source of any answers on this topic.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

“Eighteen months total” sounds to me like eighteen months until it’s done. But yes, Ed would know for sure.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:35 PM

FWIW, my number is 300 and he will be starting it sometime this summer. Booked the build 2 years ago.

Yes, Ed is the one to contact for actual info as I did about mine a month or so ago. He said he will get in touch with me once he's ready to start mine since we have a number of things yet to decide.

I have no problem with the wait time since I've got others to play and that includes a Halcyon. Not interested in buying anything else in the meantime either except for one Larrivee that I've been looking for for a couple of years.

And, fwiw, the one I have is excellent. Very much looking forward to the one to come.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Asking Ed will give you the most trusted and accurate answer but I will share that with the two custom build experiences that I have had with two other luthiers, it is a projection of the total time between placing the order and taking delivery.
My first custom order had an 18 month wait and I ended up getting a chance to move up in the line due to a cancellation so received the guitar in 14 months. The second build had an 18 month projected time and I got it in 17 months.
Totally worth the wait in both instances! :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-31-2022, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Cool. Hope mine gets moved up as well. Wow, Halcyon is cranking out some guitars! That's great for them. I will reach out to Ed, just thought I'd get an idea from you fine folks. I haven't yet reached the point where I want to bug him but maybe after summer.
I have others to play as well but this is my first custom build and it's just really exciting. It's given me lots of time to think about what I want, but I think I will stick with my initial plan which was a 000 short scale. Choosing the woods and adding the little details will be the fun part. I thought about a slope shoulder dread but not sure I'd pick it up and play it as often as a smaller body.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:26 PM

Just keep in mind that custom guitars, like many things, are rarely done early. And are not the least bit rare to be done late. Mine have ranged from right on time (twice) to well over a year late (once), and anything in-between. Things happen. And its human nature to be optimistic.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:55 PM

I’m on Halcyon’s waiting list too. I think I’ll probably have it about a year from now. I liked Halcyon’s Facebook page so I see occasional pics of guitars they’re working on.

My plan is to get an NL-00. I bought a Larrivee 00-40 to tide me over for the duration, and I assume I’ll sell it when I have the Halcyon in hand.

I’m leaving them alone, I guess I’ll hear from them when we need to start making detailed decisions.

There is a Halcyon OM on reverb right now, or at least there was a couple days ago. If you’re thinking about Halcyon but haven’t ordered yet, that might be an option.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 05-31-2022, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Around 2 1/2 yrs wait these days. I am a couple guitars ahead of jazzereh's 300 but I guesstimated sometime in Fall -- I haven't spoken to Ed in a long while so perhaps mine is imminent after all. Almost forgot about the build to be honest.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Around 2 1/2 yrs wait these days.
Wow. 2 1/2 years. Ed’s getting quite a list. I ordered a Kopp in Feb 2021 and Kevin said he was taking deposits for Nov ‘22 delivery. I sent my deposit and now we’re about 6 month out. Two years seems like a long time but it goes fast.

My Halcyon was delayed when I got mine. I wanted a padauk 000. Ed was towards the end of the build and sent me photos. The padauk back had a wild grain pattern (I bet most folks here would have loved it) but I like nice quarter sawn wood with straight grain. So Ed built me another one with woods I liked better.

So, if he’d do that for me I bet y’all will get what you like too…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion