The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 07:46 AM

Default Belated NGD 12 string, name starts with a "G"

I strummed my first Guild 12 string in a music store in the 80's on a tour of local shops when they still existed. Compared to the imported 12 strings I tried, what a sound and it was so easy to play!

Fast forward a few decades and now I've got some arthritis going, so a short scale is in order. I'm posted overseas in Kazakhstan and we went back to the US on an R&R to marry off a son and sell a house.

It just so happens that another guitar maker starting with "G" is making a short scale 12 string, so I brought it up with my wife. She said "yes, but you need to downsize another guitar." So now I'm in the airport with a Gibson J45 12 string sitting next to me. I was unable to get a Hiscox for it yet, so it has to survive this journey in the regular case. I've got a Hiscox in Kazakhstan that I'll try out.

One more thing, my G&L L2000 bass that I bought in 1983 is called "Wendy" after a misunderstanding of the Association song, "Windy." My wife always jokes that she's jealous. So the new J45 is named after her. We like it! Sadly, none of my other current guitars have a name that really clicked.

Pictures to follow in a day or two....

David
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-31-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Please review forum rules
Old 05-31-2022, 08:28 AM

Very Cool and Congrats! I would think these Bozeman-made guitars are the first time a 12 string slope shoulder J45 has appeared in the catalog since early-1962 when Gibson shifted to a square shoulder model.

I play a 1961 B45-12 so the first year of production. While it is hard to believe today, at the time the only U.S. Company offering a stock 12 string guitar was Harmony. So as should not be unexpected, Gibson initially did not have a clue how to build one and simply slapped a wide neck with a humongous headstock on a regular old non-scalloped X braced J45. Great for sound but not the best recipe for stability. I figure though Bozeman has solved any and all engineering issues when it comes to how to build a 12 string with tops which are not say prone to collapsing.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:44 AM

Thanks, zombywoof. I’m glad to hear you play one of those early Gibson 12 strings.

I was concerned about this one because Gibson still does some funny things. Current production is for a set of 12-53 strings tuned to regular pitch, with scalloped bracing! You can easily verify by shopping for a Gibson set of 12 strings. They only come 12-53.

I had mine set up for 10-47 and Sweetwater said it originally came with EXP38, which is 10-47. Mine was made at the end of February, so maybe there was a change? Mine is 5lbs 2oz, which by my reckoning makes it only a little heavier than a 6 string J45 with an extra set of tuners and longer headstock.

The guitar sounds and plays great with 10-47, and I’m happy it’s probably a little overbuilt.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 05-31-2022, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations David on your new Gibson J45 12 string!

I hope it makes the trip safely! Best of luck on all your adventures, too!

- Glenn
Old 05-31-2022, 01:48 PM

That's cool, I saw these online and thought it would be a cool guitar to own.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Very cool on your new G acquisition! Enjoy it and congrats on your son's marriage!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion