The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 11:44 AM

Default Need help choosing my next guitar

The driving force behind my search is comfort, specifically my right shoulder.

My main guitar is a Taylor 814ce. I've been working posture and more breaks and that helps. I have an Academy 10, a dreadnought shape. When my shoulder starts bothering me, I will play it more as it seems more comfortable.

I'm now narrowed it down to a GC or a GT (with a GS mini from the Taylor Days deal)

They both seem more comfortable than my 814, but in looking at specs, I'm confused by something and that's where I'm looking for opinions/advice.

I can't figure out why the Academy is more comfortable than the 814. Looking at the specs, both guitars are pretty similar. The main difference that I see is that the waist is about 1 1/2" smaller on the 814, which in theory, should make it more comfortable for my shoulder as the lower bout on the two is the same.

Anybody have an idea why this is?

Either way, with a smaller bout and waist, bot the GT and GC should be easier on my shoulder
Old 05-31-2022, 11:48 AM
Get off my lawn kid

How do you play, standing or seated? If seated do you wear a strap? If not try it and shift the guitar towards your center more than if it was on your right leg. (Assuming you're righty)

You may not need a new guitar (but you can buy one anyway, don't let me stop you )

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2022, 12:00 PM

My two main acoustics are 714's (steel and nylon). I was completely satisfied with them comfort wise, until... I got a 522e. In addition to sounding amazing, that 12 fret Grand Concert body quickly usurped the GA's as my couch guitar. The GA's still get equal play time when I'm actually practicing (seated) in my regular chair. Can't comment about the GT, no experience there.

Good Luck!

Scott
Old 05-31-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
How do you play, standing or seated? If seated do you wear a strap? If not try it and shift the guitar towards your center more than if it was on your right leg. (Assuming you're righty)

You may not need a new guitar (but you can buy one anyway, don't let me stop you )
Yeah, I play seated. Every couple of months I break out the strap and try it, but it doesn't seem to help. I'll take another go at it.

But yeah, I'm pretty far down the NGD road right now :-)
Old 05-31-2022, 12:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Likely, it’s a combination of the 5/8” shorter scale length of the A10 (24-7/8”) vs. the 814ce (25-1/2”), the bevel on the A10, and the narrower/deeper waist of the 814ce that forces you into a slightly different/more restrictive positioning if playing while seated.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvirago View Post
Yeah, I play seated. Every couple of months I break out the strap and try it, but it doesn't seem to help. I'll take another go at it.

But yeah, I'm pretty far down the NGD road right now :-)
I have the guitar centered (maybe even cheated to the left a bit), and the neck up a bit (I play finger style). Not as high as some classical players, but up a bit.

I'm wondering if its the guitar's depth that is causing your shoulder issue, not the size of the waist, or maybe its a combo of the two.

Any way buying a new, smaller guitar would most likely help too

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have the guitar centered (maybe even cheated to the left a bit), and the neck up a bit (I play finger style). Not as high as some classical players, but up a bit.

I'm wondering if its the guitar's depth that is causing your shoulder issue, not the size of the waist, or maybe its a combo of the two.

Any way buying a new, smaller guitar would most likely help too
I've been trying to get into the habit of picking the neck up a bit, which drops the right shoulder.

I think you may have nailed it. I just took a ruler to both and there is almost 1/2" difference in depth. On the Taylor site it shows body depth for both at 4 5/8". But I can't get that measurement anywhere on the guitar. At the lower bout where my arm hits, the 814 is about 4 1/4 and the Academy is 3 3/4ish.

****, where do you get accurate specs?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion