The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2019, 10:20 AM

Default Whats the weight difference between Gotoh 510 mediums and minis?

I bought a set of Gotoh 510 mid size chrome tuners for my second DIY guitar build but when a Ping tuner crapped out on my Larrivee I swapped in the 510s. I like them but they feel a tad heavy. The Larrivee likes them though so they're staying.

Now that my second build is nearing completion it's getting time to think about installing the tuners. Like my first, it has a laminated neck. My first build has a very light mahogany/cedar body so it has a tendency to "dip" when I play it with a strap. The button is on the treble side of the neck heel, not the cap. I'm worried that weight on the headstock will have this rosewood/spruce build follow suit and would like to counter the effect with lighter tuning machines.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have Gotoh chrome Schaller style tuners on #1. They are the heaviest of the 3 Gotoh products.

So the question is, how much lighter are the 510 minis in comparison? They don't look that much smaller on paper.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:30 AM

Minis weigh 32.1g and the regular ones weigh 33.8g each.
Multiply by 6 and compare total mass.
Not really significant to me
Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Minis weigh 32.1g and the regular ones weigh 33.8g each.
Multiply by 6 and compare total mass.
Not really significant to me
I find the difference in the feel of the button size to be more important to me than the difference in weight. Obviously it is a personal thing but I do not find the weight difference to be that significant either. I definitely prefer the feel of the slightly larger button though.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion