The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-29-2024, 07:46 PM

Default Worth it to upgrade? Using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo

I've been using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Studio (interface + headphones + mic) with a 2015 iMac running 10.12.6 Sierra for a few years. I'm just recording demos of my original songs at home with GarageBand.

What would be a noticeable step up in quality? Is the Focusrite Clarett that much better than the Scarlett Solo?

Should I upgrade my computer/GarageBand first? It's about time anyway.

I bought an SM57 to try instead of the Focusrite mic but the interface doesn't have enough juice to power it. Is there a better reasonably priced mic for guitar and vocals?

Last edited by fantex; 03-29-2024 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

It's hard to know how to answer without knowing your goals including intentions for your recorded work, and the level of quality you're seeking to achieve.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-29-2024, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantex View Post
Is the Focusrite Clarett that much better than the Scarlett Solo?
I'm FAR from an expert in this area, but I'd say - I doubt it.

Quote:
Should I upgrade my computer/GarageBand first?
I'm not sure that's going to do a lot for you either. I'm running an iMac desktop with a Scarlett 2i2 and using Cubase Elements, but not really because it's so much better than garageband (though I can't really compare). It's mainly just what I've gotten used to. I only record one input at a time, but I do a lot of multitracking.

Quote:
I bought an SM57 to try instead of the Focusrite mic but the interface doesn't have enough juice to power it.
Again, I don't know, but isn't there a switch on the interface that handles that?

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-29-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's hard to know how to answer without knowing your goals including intentions for your recorded work, and the level of quality you're seeking to achieve.
My goals and intentions would include:
1. Experiment with arrangements, sounds, and instruments on songs
2. Prepare songs for studio recording
3. Prepare songs to distribute to band members for rehearsal

Level of quality would be:
1. Clear and balanced vocals and guitar
2. As close to Pro Tools studio quality as I can get with home equipment using GarageBand.

Would my demos benefit more from learning more about EQing and mixing?
Old 03-29-2024, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

The question is would you even notice the difference if you did upgrade. Is your room a good sounding room, are you monitors quality.

If those 2 basics are not in place you might not notice “better” conversion.
These days even the low end converters would sound decent when the recording environment is good.

Yes, your demos would benefit more from learning more about EQing and mixing? You don’t need to upgrade your converter to do that.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-29-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
The question is would you even notice the difference if you did upgrade. Is your room a good sounding room, are you monitors quality.

If those 2 basics are not in place you might not notice “better” conversion.
These days even the low end converters would sound decent when the recording environment is good.

Yes, your demos would benefit more from learning more about EQing and mixing? You don’t need to upgrade your converter to do that.
I record in my bedroom so there's nothing that can be done there. I use some Bose speakers and the Focusrite headphones. Better monitors or headphones might be an option.

I think I'll start on EQing and go from there.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I record in my bedroom so there's nothing that can be done there.
So not true. Keeping things as easy as possible. 1) Talent and or persistence. 2) Your overall knowledge (good start as there are some knowledgeable folk here. 3) Your room. Bedroom, bathroom, porch, basement, and kitchen all dramatically affect not only what you hear but ultimately what others hear. Room adjustments don't have to be particularly costly and or difficult to improve upon but without any doubt, it's a major component. I will mention (earlier than I'd like to make my point) The new IK Multimedia Arc hardware box is an absolute godsend. It is a hardware/software solution that analyses your room and offers an eq curve as a means of room correction. That piece of hardware will make a bigger difference than any new interface, mic, or headphones, or compressors could address and by a bazillion miles. At $299.00 every room-challenged, home enthusiast engineer should run, not walk, to this box. 4) The instrument(s) 5) Equipment. You simply won't gain an inch buying a new interface (or any equipment) in a challenged room. 6) Mic's. An SM 57 can make beautiful recordings if upstream problems are addressed at least as best as possible. A Neumann U-87 is always gonna sound like a Neumann U-87 in a bad room.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I've been using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Studio (interface + headphones + mic) with a 2015 iMac running 10.12.6 Sierra for a few years. I'm just recording demos of my original songs at home with GarageBand.

What would be a noticeable step up in quality?
Upgrading from the Focusrite Solo won't improve your sonic quality perceptibly until you've improved the other parts of your chain first, notably room treatment and microphones. A better interface is far less of a difference than, say, moving the mic a few inches.

You probably should upgrade from GarageBand, but only for ease of use and having more features. Which DAW you choose comes down to workflow and has pretty much zero affect on audible sound quality.

Quote:
I bought an SM57 to try instead of the Focusrite mic but the interface doesn't have enough juice to power it. Is there a better reasonably priced mic for guitar and vocals?
The SM57 is a dynamic mic and doesn't need phantom power. If you mean that the Solo doesn't have the *gain* to turn it up loud enough... it ought to. Don't be afraid to crank the gain knob on the interface until you get the LED ring to flash green, that's plenty. It doesn't need to go to yellow or red. I've used an SM57 with my Focusrite 2i2 and it records fine.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My goals and intentions would include:
1. Experiment with arrangements, sounds, and instruments on songs
2. Prepare songs for studio recording
3. Prepare songs to distribute to band members for rehearsal
You don't need to upgrade to do any of that.

Quote:
Level of quality would be:
1. Clear and balanced vocals and guitar
2. As close to Pro Tools studio quality as I can get with home equipment using GarageBand.
At the stage you seem to be at, "clear and balanced" is more likely to be achieved through better recording technique than better gear.

Quote:
Would my demos benefit more from learning more about EQing and mixing?
Absolutely. If you're just stacking raw tracks, that's not likely to sound very good.
Your first stop should be the stickied thread. There's a wealth of information there that can help you improve.

YouTube
Old 03-30-2024, 07:20 AM

Awesome, thanks for all the recommendations. I will experiment with mic placement, room treatment and EQing.

I found what appears to be a good YouTube channel to help with these things.

https://www.youtube.com/@HomeStudioCorner
Old 03-30-2024, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Lets back up a bit and get more info

#1 "Recording demos of my original songs" (for what exact purpose/s will the demo's be use for ? ) be specific and detailed what you currently do and/or what your exact specific intentions for the "demos" are ... i.e what exactly are you intending to do with the demos ?
It can make a fairly big difference in how professional sounding they might want to be.

And try to give a reasonable budget range for what you are willing to spend to improve you current productions .

As others have noted upgrading to the Claret from Scarlett will likely not give a significant improvement in sound quality BUT Unfortunately that appears to more guess than informed observation. Because the Focusrite web site is all but useless for getting clear comparison info on exactly what the specifications difference might be (if any) in either preamps or converters .
So it appears that the only reason to consider an upgrade might be to get two mic pres instead of one.

Also if your iMac is not having any performance glitches and your are not requiring any performance upgrade for other purposes than recording audio you want to allocate that money into things that might improve your recorded sound.

And again depending entirely of what exact intensions for your demos are ?
As others have noted you might be wiser to look at some type of room treatment like even a few portable gobos rather than just a slightly better interface .
Now I do not know anything about the IK box Joseph Hanna mentioned but given his level of experience and expertise I would consider it ..
To sum up as noted everthing depends specifically on budget and exact goals in mind

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-30-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:11 AM

My songs have lyrics/vocals.

Goals are back up in post #4 … but I could add: Entering songwriting contests such as, https://texassongwriteru.com/

I’m not pursuing a publishing deal per se … I’m interested in recording my own records in a studio and playing live. Demos are for sending to band members for rehearsing.

Budget would be around $500 up to maybe $1,000.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Goals are back up in post #4 … but I could add: Entering songwriting contests such as, https://texassongwriteru.com/

I’m not pursuing a publishing deal per se … I’m interested in recording my own records in a studio and playing live. Demos are for sending to band members for rehearsing.

Sorry missed post #4
So ya I would say with that criteria I would agree with others and suggest consider some type portable absorption panels often called gobo's, (DYI if possible)

Now the one caveat I would add is . If that songwriters contest is indicative of your songs being more in the country arena where the vocal is definitely king. Me I might also consider a good budget LDC Mic -- Maybe something Roswell Mini K 47 or Mini K 67 and Warm Audio mics are also fairly popular

As far as computer that is always a conundrum On the one hand , Even many Pro studios are still running 5 to 10 ys. and older Macs
But agin it depends of if you have other uses for the one computer.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-30-2024 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:44 AM

Finally, someone here posts something in my realm. The 3rd gen SOLO was already highly reviewed but the latest 4th Gen received the same REDNET converters found in Focusrites high end products (the CS43198 chip) The factory I/O specs are a bit limited but the SOLO still has an analogue front end (unlike the 2i2, etc) so you can send it to Revive Audio for their mod service making it meet or exceed everything on the market.

Here's what they do:

* full Analog path modification for all channels of analog input and output using high performance Burr Brown and Linear Technologies Amplifiers for excellent low end response and an open top end.

* The analog mods on these interfaces offer a wonderfully warm front end at the analog inputs coupled with a very flat response output section for a precise representation of your mix, making great mixes easier.

* Converter De-coupling and coupling techniques are also used for an even broader and more accurate image of the audio from the converters

* power supply modification for maximum bandwidth and headroom. The converters with the modifications sound excellent and easily as good as interfaces costing twice as much.

https://www.reviveaudio.com/index.ph...product_id=316
Old 03-30-2024, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

How big is the space in which you're recording? L x W x H

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD