The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 AM

Default Seagull S6 question

So I am new to the guitar game, and I have decided to go with a Seagull S6. I just have a question about S6 types. I found 2 different kinds of S6's. There is the original S6 and an Entourage S6. I dont know what the difference is between the two. Any information would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Cole.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 AM

http://www.seagullguitars.com/productlisting.htm

Keith
Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 AM

According to the spec sheet, the Original is available left handed and the Entourage is not. The Original is also a 1.8" nut, while the Original Slim and the Entourage are 1.72". Aside from those, the top finish is different between the two.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

the seagull entourages have that a 1.72" nut, their weird rustic burst finish and a sort of rubbery plastic rosette. the seagull original s6 has a smoother semi-gloss finish that i quite like, a 1.8" nut and a flat rosette. the seagull s6 slim is like the original s6 but with the 1.72" nut.

the entourage and original sound slightly different to me, but since they're made of the same materials, i don't see why that is.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Get the original... I love the extra room at the nut.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctal08 View Post
So I am new to the guitar game, and I have decided to go with a Seagull S6. I just have a question about S6 types. I found 2 different kinds of S6's. There is the original S6 and an Entourage S6. I dont know what the difference is between the two. Any information would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Cole.
Hi ctal…
The nut width and neck depth differences are spaced like a 1 3/4'' versus a 1 11/16'' string spacing at the nut. Those are the primary differences in width, then there is the depth of neck differences...

The slimmer neck is shallower whereas the older S-6 was a bit chunkier neck. I've owned one of the originals and it was a very nice guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-12-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 AM
do what huh?

See, that's funny, on my S6 the neck, while wide, feels pretty thin and flat in the first position. If I could have the neck depth at the 5th fret throughout the neck, that'd be awesome.

Either way, you're in for a nice guitar. I've played all the entourage models, and they're very nice. As a matter o' fact, I've never played a Seagull model that didn't make me say that's nice", and I've played them all except a few of the Studio and Artist models (worked at one of the largest Seagull dealers in Texas)
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Marlboro spruce/eirw dread
Wrongbox Cigar Box Lap Steel

Last edited by rlouie; 03-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM

I really like my Entourage. The neck is comfortable and the sound is good. I'll never get rid of it. Nobody really ever bothers to ask what it cost me and if they do it's kind of after I tell them. Cherry laminate sides and backs will never get you to the Promised Land of Ultimate Tone but it'll get the job done.

The rosette is cheap but the rest of the guitar is just fine. It's a matte finish that doesn't show wear too much. It is less expensive than the Original because of the finish I suspect. If you're not into bursts then it certainly won't be your thing. I like bursts so that's really what steered me towards the Entourage.

Be sure and get the Tric case either way you go. Either model you are considering will be a competent and thoroughly usable guitar. Just don't expect anyone to swoon over it when you take the stage.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 PM

I have an S6 slim I have owned for a couple of years...I love it....I do own a Martin .... but I still catch myself going back to the Seagull once in awhile because of the narrow nut...great guitar for the money
Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Be sure and get the Tric case either way you go.
How heat-resistant is the Tric case? Say, does it allow you to leave the guitar in a car trunk during 110F summer days?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
do what huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
How heat-resistant is the Tric case? Say, does it allow you to leave the guitar in a car trunk during 110F summer days?
About as heat resistant as anything else made out of polystyrene...
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Marlboro spruce/eirw dread
Wrongbox Cigar Box Lap Steel
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ctal…
The nut width and neck depth differences are spaced like a 1 3/4'' versus a 1 11/16'' string spacing at the nut. Those are the primary differences in width, then there is the depth of neck differences...

The slimmer neck is shallower whereas the older S-6 was a bit chunkier neck. I've owned one of the originals and it was a very nice guitar.

Actually they are both wider than .

But I think Seagull is a great guitar at whatever line you look at, really rival, and exceed the Asian competition.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion