The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Default I tuned my guitar down a full step...

And it sounds like crap! What's the deal with that? Even if i capo up 2 frets the guitar sounds horrible. Any ideas??
Donn
Gretch Resonator
Old 03-13-2010, 08:30 AM

You should increase the gauge of your strings otherwise it'll be really loose. Hopefully you won't have a problem with your nut by increasing the gauge but it's a possibility.

What are you using now? Light strings?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:30 AM

Try just a HALF STEP
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM

Try tuning down 1/2 step - it may be closer to its resonant frequency. I find many guitars have a resonant freuency of F# & sound better tuned down 1/2 step (or maybe up 1/2 step). Those with resonant frequencies on the whole tone (F or G or A) sound better tuned to concert or up or down a whole step.

Cass
Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 AM

You've removed a lot of tension by tuning down. Less tension will not drive the top/saddle as much. As said before, if you really want it tuned down a full step, try increasing the gauge of the strings.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I find many guitars have a resonant freuency of F# & sound better tuned down 1/2 step (or maybe up 1/2 step). Those with resonant frequencies on the whole tone (F or G or A) sound better tuned to concert or up or down a whole step.
How can I determine resonant frequency, what techniques do I use?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 AM

I've found over the years that some guitars "like" being tuned down more so than others. That goes for acoustic and electrics.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Default Intesting.

I'm not impressed with "down" tuning, but I notice quite a few people are encouraging the use of down tuning...

Not for me, but whatever...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post

Thanks.
Place a tuner next to the soundhole, dampen the strings with your hand & hum into the soundhole changing your pitch gradually up & down until you find the pitch where the guitar vibrates noticeably more & note on the tuner what the pitch is. It will probably be somewhere between F & A.

Cass
Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
You've removed a lot of tension by tuning down. Less tension will not drive the top/saddle as much. As said before, if you really want it tuned down a full step, try increasing the gauge of the strings.
Paul is dead on - I usually tune my guitars down a step and tune it down a bit into DADGAD ( capoed on the second to do taps and pull-offs more effectively )-which drives some guitars nuts -But when i complicate matters even more by lowering my string gauge ( to custom lights ) i get a twanging sound -The guitar still sounds good ( but a different kind of Good )

Some guitars can handle it, some cannot -might be the way the top is tuned ( thats what i think) the heavier the bracing or thicker the top the more force it needs to drive it .I look at the strings like a engine of a Car , put a small engine in a big car and you have a dog.

Last edited by Tony Burns; 03-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44
Place a tuner next to the soundhole, dampen the strings with your hand & hum into the soundhole changing your pitch gradually up & down until you find the pitch where the guitar vibrates noticeably more & note on the tuner what the pitch is. It will probably be somewhere between F & A.

Cass
Thank you, Cass, I will give this a try.

I just hope my wife doesn't catch me in the act or humming up and down into the soundhole, it will only confirm her deep-seated notion that I have an unhealthy and somewhat obsessive relationship with my guitars.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindonn View Post
And it sounds like crap! What's the deal with that? Even if i capo up 2 frets the guitar sounds horrible. Any ideas??
Donn
Hi donn…
Peter Jansen (wonderful guitarist) has a pair of Thompsons which he strings the top strings up a weight and uses the heaviest mediums he can find on it. With the .014 and .018 on top, when he capos up 2 frets it picks up the slack and feels like the guitar normally strung with .012.

As for your description of the sound it's hard to know if all of the distressing tone came from less tension. It may require a different type of string as well...why are you trying it? Just for fun?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
Thank you, Cass, I will give this a try.

I just hope my wife doesn't catch me in the act or humming up and down into the soundhole, it will only confirm her deep-seated notion that I have an unhealthy and somewhat obsessive relationship with my guitars.
Forgot to mention - only do this behind locked doors!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM

hi
half down it is the early music tuning A= 415
works perfect, for playing with my wife´s harpsichord i set my classicals and
mexican early guitars with this tuning.
Eblen Macari
Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

my husband keeps both his gibsons and his tacoma tuned down a full step, but when he tried it on one of my guitars, it didn't sound good. also pretty poor one one a baden A he tried it on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion