The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-20-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Man, I love some solo Gregg Allman, always been a huge fan. And Enlightened Rogues is a bit of an underrated ABB album, I think. People tend to poop on that era of the Allmans, but Dickey was in his prime and killing it, and I thought Dangerous Dan was a nice compliment to Dickey. Gregg was mostly drunk and high in those days. I think that was when he was so strung out that the roadies had to hold poster boards with lyrics to songs on them so that he could remember them, lol. Thankfully, he did clean up eventually.

Speaking of getting old, I was looking at pics of Garcia from 1995, and he looked like he was in his 70s. He was about 3 years older than I am now when he passed. You don't think about that stuff when you're in your 20s and really into the music.

One thing I will say about Dickey that I appreciated was that at every show after Jerry passed, Dickey would talk about Garcia and play a few bars of Franklin's Tower before going into Blue Sky, which was so cool. Tony Rice did the same thing with Shady Grove. That tells you a lot about these people, you know.
Tim, after I listened to your version of where it all begins YT took me to this version of Blue Sky where Dickey starts off with Franklins Tower for about a minute before he switches to BS. Love it.

https://youtu.be/tHcgmiQwEts?si=bCVDz9K7omrIx2ng

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 04-20-2024, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Tim, after I listened to your version of where it all begins YT took me to this version of Blue Sky where Dickey starts off with Franklins Tower for about a minute before he switches to BS. Love it.

https://youtu.be/tHcgmiQwEts?si=bCVDz9K7omrIx2ng
Not sure I ever remember seeing Dickey playing a strat but it sure fits on Blue Sky. And Jack Pearson was IMHO the best second guitarist he ever found after Duane (not that Duane was a second ANYTHING!). Apologies to Dan Toler, Warren Haynes, Butch Trucks, etal, who were all great. But Jack Pearson is an unsung guitar hero and just a perfect fit...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 04-20-2024 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I should preface this with NAGC!

I saw the band Sept 12, 1971 in a college gymnasium with my roommate, and the guitar player from the soul band I'd been in (playing trumpet) about 4 years earlier, who was *crazy* about the ABB. One of the transformative experiences that had me go and buy my first guitar a few months later. Some 4 years after that I was in a band, and the ABB was one of the ones we listened to a lot. Here's a recording done in some dive by the band around 1976, probably early, salvaged from a gasoline soaked box of tapes in the drummers rolled van (a different story...). We didn't have a keyboard player at the time, but we were enthusiastic, if nothing else. (Sometimes more than enthusiastic, but it was different times...) I got to play rhythm alongside an amazing guitarist, and learned most of what probably still accounts for 80% of my guitar knowledge. (Here I got to take the last break before the drum solo - realize I'd been playing electric guitar maybe a year and a half. Maybe.)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 04-20-2024 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post

I saw the band Sept 12, 1971 in a college gymnasium with my roommate, and the guitar player from the soul band I'd been in (playing trumpet) about 4 years earlier, who was *crazy* about the ABB. One of the transformative experiences that had me go and buy my first guitar a few months later. Some 4 years after that I was in a band, and the ABB was one of the ones we listened to a lot. Here's a recording done in some dive by the band around 1976, probably early, salvaged from a gasoline soaked box of tapes in the drummers rolled van (a different story...). We didn't have a keyboard player at the time, but we were enthusiastic, if nothing else. (Sometimes more than enthusiastic, but it was different times...) I got to play rhythm alongside an amazing guitarist, and learned most of what probably still accounts for 80% of my guitar knowledge. (Here I got to take the last break before the drum solo - realize I'd been playing electric guitar maybe a year and a half. Maybe.)

That sounds great. There’s a slight drop off when you start your solo, but it comes right back up to the level pretty quickly. If I listen to that back to back with the ABB, the only real giveaway would be the drums - I’m assuming you guys only had one drummer and he was valiantly trying to do the job of two.

Thanks for posting this!

-Ray
Old 04-20-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Wow Keith. A year and a half? That’s some great playing regardless of how long you’ve been playing and I agree with Ray. The drummer is working overtime. You guys create a great sound for a four piece band. really enjoyed this one.

I have some recordings of my college band that I was listening to recently from 1983 when I was 21 turning 22. No ABB however but we do did do dead, Clapton, Creedence, Clearwater, Jimmy Hendrix, Dire Straits, Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, And some blues covers. It still holds up today.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 04-20-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
That sounded great Tim - thanks for adding it. I'd forgotten that tune, glad to hear it again...

-Ray
Thanks, Ray!!!
Old 04-20-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:

****, you guys were great! The 70s were just a different time. I was just a kid but it seemed like even in the 80s bands still played in bars and there were still great musicians out there playing their hearts out every weekend. Thanks for sharing that, Keith.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

My lord. That magic with Jack as well… thank you for the vault pull Started…
Old 04-20-2024, 08:30 PM

That sounded great Ray!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM

Here’s Jessica for the thread.

https://youtu.be/Nz9bcYbOOS8?feature=shared

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 04-20-2024, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Here’s Jessica for the thread.

https://youtu.be/Nz9bcYbOOS8?feature=shared
That was pretty cool. Your son really looked like a little kid in that until the last seconds when he turns to face the camera, then he looks like a mid teens age. And, man, his playing has gotten SO MUCH more fluid in the five years since you recorded that!

-Ray
Old 04-21-2024, 12:48 AM

Speaking of Jack Pearson, yeah, he might be the greatest guitar player who ever played with the Allmans. I have seen him a few times over the years, and I really can't describe how incredible and versatile he is. Music flows out of him like water. Let's put it this way, he can show up with a Squier Bullet with no rig and instantly become the musical director for The Tedeschi Trucks Band or whoever.

Yes, Dickey played Strats briefly in the 90s, and that was when he started doing the Garcia tribute at every show. How cool is that?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell