The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2000, 11:03 PM

Wink 310 or 510 ?

my god, finally i have enough money to go out and get a 700 pounds 310 and suddenly i see an advert that has a 510 for sale at 900 pounds. i mean being a student and all, 200 pounds extra is quite a lot but should i get this upgrade ? it means a better look and definately a better case i know but is it worth me starving a couple of months ? your thoughts are really appreciated and i thank you for guiding a lost student.
Old 12-13-2000, 01:06 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Greetings, dsiew! Welcome to the forum. Didn't anyone ever tell you that fasting was good for you? If there's only a 200 pound difference ($320US), I'd go for it if you prefer the sound of the 510 over the 310. Most dealers charge quite a bit for the "good case" separately. However, keep in mind that the SKB case is more manageable, and if you're a student and you'll be lugging it around quite a bit, you might appreciate the light weight of the SKB case, which still does a good job of protecting the guitar.

Let us know what you decide!
Regards,
J.R. Rogers
Administrator
Old 12-13-2000, 01:24 AM
Jim

You wouldn't regret getting the 510. I have one that I can't say enough good things about and you would not likely ever feel a need to upgrade. As J.R. says, the better case alone would cost you almost the difference in price, and you get real mahogany, an Engelmann top, gloss finish and abalone appointments.
Old 12-13-2000, 04:38 AM
alfiez1

Lightbulb

Get the one that sounds the best to you. A 510 isn't better than a 310 just different. The Engelmann top on the 510 is much softer than the Sitka spruce top on the 310(ding city). IMHO Engelmann is over rated, it looks like European spruce so it must sound like it, not. Just sit down with them both if you can, close your eyes and let the tone tell you witch is the one for you.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:14 AM

Wink

Howdy

Well... i own a Taylor 310 (obviously!) and i've tried a 510. The main differences are the more fancier accoutrements that are found on the 510. The sound isn't quite as different, so that shouldn't affect which guitar you buy. I reckon that if you'd like to feel all posh, then get the 510, but if you'd like to keep away potential dingers and still feel like a million pounds, then the 310 may do it...

i dunno...... my 310 is still the best to me, in my opinion... try them both and see which one you really prefer!

Blessings,
nick
Old 12-13-2000, 08:28 PM

I owned A 510CE.
I have played both the 510 and the 310.
The sound is similar on both.
I favor the 500 series.
In general, the fit and finish and wood quality improves in each increasing numbered series. Try to play both and see what your ears tell you.
Old 12-15-2000, 11:31 AM

I can only comment that a representative told me that you can upgrade to a Taylor luggage style case for a bill at point of sale. That is what I did when I got my 314-kce. Sorry I can't comment on the 310 vs 510 series. I would just recommend that you have to look at the long term investment angle. Will you be happy playing a 310 in 5 years, or will you be longing for that abalone rosette, the gloss body, and the more ornate look of the 510? If so, don't spend your hard earned money twice by having to upgrade. This should be a lifelong purchase (unless you are just loaded) http://php.spea.iupui.edu/jdpresto

------------------
Jeff Preston
Indianapolis, IN
Old 01-12-2001, 02:34 AM

Great comment jdpresto, I agree. Personally, I would love a 500+ series if I had the extra cash to spare. But, I would never buy one for the fact that they are better than the 300 or 400 series...they are not, just different and less ornate. All of the guitars from the 300 series up play, IMO, the same and have very similar tonal characteristics. There are subtle differences, but not "oh wow" differences. Go with your ear...period. And if you need that abalone, go with the higher series. I still think all decisions should be made based on "the guitar" in your hands...not labels or series. Just my 2 cents.

Chris http://www.mp3.com/ChrisBilodeau

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion