The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Rosewood -- interesting article.

Pretty interesting article about Rosewood that was written by Tom Bedell, the owner and operator of Bedell Guitars and Breedlove Guitars.

http://www.guitaraficionado.com/rose...usic-wood.html
Old 06-30-2017, 06:22 AM

I agree! Even though the amount of Rosewood used for musical instruments is a very small percentage of the total, we - as a group - need to own this. We all share in the responsibility of doing what we can to help preserve the planet we call home! Maybe you perceive your individual part as insignificant, and 'surely one more little guitar won't hurt', but yes it will. And it really doesn't matter if your buying a $10,000 custom from that 'world renowned luthier' or a $300 Pac-Rim import, the effect is the same. Consumption ( over-consumption) is what it is, no boundaries, no exemptions. No excuses.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:29 AM

Very interesting and good explanation of the need for regulation in this instance. Thanks for the link.
https://www.reverbnation.com/walthuntsman
1992 Seagull S6
2014 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-30-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I agree! Even though the amount of Rosewood used for musical instruments is a very small percentage of the total, we - as a group - need to own this. We all share in the responsibility of doing what we can to help preserve the planet we call home! Maybe you perceive your individual part as insignificant, and 'surely one more little guitar won't hurt', but yes it will. And it really doesn't matter if your buying a $10,000 custom from that 'world renowned luthier' or a $300 Pac-Rim import, the effect is the same. Consumption ( over-consumption) is what it is, no boundaries, no exemptions. No excuses.
So, with all due respect, what are we to do?
It's truly a matter of conscience and I'm not convinced there is much of that around anymore.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-30-2017, 07:41 AM

I was talking with a dealer who said there is a chance to have it modified to exclude guitars.

To the prior poster, if that is the case we better only start to buy Myrtle wood and Maple guitars.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

These rules are too late, the environment they propose to protect is devastated and can never return due to the interdependence of species.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 AM

It is an interesting article to read in its entirety. Two things stood out. First, India is cited as a positive example for its conservation and management of the rosewood resource. Second, Breedlove owns the largest remaining stock of Brazilian rosewood tonewood cut in the 1950's and 60's. And in case you missed it, the author flat out states the guitar industry did not cause the global rosewood shortage but has to deal with it and the new rules brought about because of it going forward.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Within our borders, other viable back/sides tonewood options besides maple (of which there's great supply and increasing acceptance by the buying public) and myrtlewood (of which there's none outside of Oregon but lots there) include walnut (especially Claro), osage orange (a midwestern "weed" tree), Koa (of which Bob Taylor is maintaining and managing good supplies in Hawaii), and fruit woods like cherry and pear — although I don't know of any builders who have espoused these yet. There would be huge availability if oak, hickory, or ash were considered desirable tonewoods for acoustic guitars but thus far they're not. One of the biggest impediments to developing these lesser known tonewoods is likely unfamiliarity; a little willingness to experiment on our part could go a long way, and with the proliferation of demo videos on YouTube and the like, we can gain at least some knowledge of how these alternative woods might compare. And although there's probably no shortage of tropical mahogany on the immediate horizon I do prefer the idea of using native stocks. Food for thought, anyway, and something that we'll eventually have to consider going forward.

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
And in case you missed it, the author flat out states the guitar industry did not cause the global rosewood shortage but has to deal with it and the new rules brought about because of it going forward.
Where does the author "flat out" state that?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:24 AM

I am very interested in the idea of alternate domestic woods. Myrtle, O-orange, cherry, and one that I would love to find in a large enough set is Persimmon. Often called White ebony, or American Ebony, I think it would make a great sounding guitar. But I guess I have always had a bent for not following the crowd, and trying something different. I get the 'mystic' of Brazilian RW, who doesn't? Just like most other's I'd love to find that BZW beauty that I just know is waiting out there somewhere for me - but I can get just as excited ( maybe more so) thinking about a build with some pretty figured Myrtle, or curly Cherry.

Last edited by hat; 06-30-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
These rules are too late, the environment they propose to protect is devastated and can never return due to the interdependence of species.
Never is a long time.
Enormous natural disasters over tens of thousands of years ago caused more damage than is even imaginable before a man ever stood upright and yet, these areas have replenished forests on them. These disasters were of a magnitude we have neve seen and hopefully won't ever see.
All that is in nature was provided for us to use and I understand we can and should refrain from abuse. That being said, I believe mankind takes way too much credit as well as blame for our little effect on our world, but hey, I'm in the minority,that's for certain. That's ok, I'm old and I really have abandoned the mindset to care what others think of my opinions.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD23 View Post
Within our borders, other viable back/sides tonewood options besides maple (of which there's great supply and increasing acceptance by the buying public) and myrtlewood (of which there's none outside of Oregon but lots there) include walnut (especially Claro), osage orange (a midwestern "weed" tree), Koa (of which Bob Taylor is maintaining and managing good supplies in Hawaii), and fruit woods like cherry and pear — although I don't know of any builders who have espoused these yet.
The article was good to read, and I think it's really up to local builders to take the lead and promote the non-tropical woods. Hopefully the big makers will also offer more selections with maple, myrtlewood, or walnut bodies. We should also keep in mind that guitars made of various synthetic materials are gaining more and more acceptance.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
but hey, I'm in the minority,that's for certain. That's ok, I'm old and I really have abandoned the mindset to care what others think of my opinions.
Your not alone there! As my wife says (perhaps too often) I have no filter!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 AM

I'm a big fan of rosewood as tonewood, and am glad to have an instrument made of it in my stable.

But if this is what it takes to prevent its extinction, and if this forces the manufacturers/builders to look to other woods, it's something we'll have to accept and move on.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Your not alone there! As my wife says (perhaps too often) I have no filter!
Yours too huh!

I think some of us are just weary of being told how awful we are.
Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion