The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-09-2023, 09:00 AM

Default Online lessons

Is there a good online source for guitar lessons (either virtual, You Tube based, etc). There seems to be a ton of lesson packages/plans available for purchase but with so many out there, it is hard to sift through which ones are actually worth the money. Virtual live lessons are also an option.

I have played the piano my whole life so I am decently versed in theory. My guitar playing I would rate as average. I can do basic techniques and can play along to many classic rock type songs, but I am looking to up my level. My goal is to master the fretboard in a way that I can view it as I see the piano keyboard. Basically where I can improv or if I have a tune in my head, I can immediately know which notes to play without trial and error.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2023, 09:17 AM

If you have searched at all, then I am sure you have come up with https://www.justinguitar.com/. There are various different courses and levels. It is well structured, and Justin keeps developing new stuff and refining old stuff.

If you are into fingerstyle, then Will McNicol's The College is worth exploring.

I also like Brian at ActiveMelody, a new lesson each week, with plenty in the archive.

It will very much depend on what you want to learn, how you like being taught, and whether you like the teacher; maybe one of these works for you.

Peter
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 09-09-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Basically where I can improv or if I have a tune in my head, I can immediately know which notes to play without trial and error.
Your goal of improv (which needs theory) is a lot harder than your second goal of dictation (which just needs a good ear). To improv well, you need to have a much deeper understanding of the scales and relationships of notes; to dictate, you just need the scales.

To transfer the tune to guitar, I think you need 2 things:

1. Be able to sing the scales in tune (major, minors, and a few modes); once you can sing the notes, you can put them on the music staff. A college-level musicianship class will teach this to you in 6 months. This is probably the most comprehensive and cheapest way to learn; after this class, you'll never have to rewind the song a million times.

2. Be able to find the notes on the fretboard quickly. Here, I recommend this book https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Soloin.../dp/0793581869. This is the book that got me off thinking "a C# is a whole step away from B, so 2 frets up; maybe I'm moving too far away positionally and probably should switch strings; then I'd have to figure out a few notes on the new string and count the steps/half steps again". It was painfully tedious and slow; this book changed everything for me.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I actually can put onto paper what I hear. Two plusses for me are they I’ve played classical piano most of my life so I do know about key signatures and basic theory. Also I have perfect pitch so any note I hear, I automatically know what it is. What is hard for me so if I hear a C# for example, I can’t instantly find it on the fretboard. Also if the next note is an F, my mind does not think in terms of half or whole steps immediately. On the piano I just know where to find it. I would like to be this way on a guitar.

Also with classical music, we don’t often think in terms of modes or pentatonic scales. So that’s something I have to get used to.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
What is hard for me so if I hear a C# for example, I can’t instantly find it on the fretboard. Also if the next note is an F, my mind does not think in terms of half or whole steps immediately. On the piano I just know where to find it. I would like to be this way on a guitar.
I used to think like you, trying to view the fretboard like piano keys because I played piano before picking up the guitar. It's funny, over the course of 2.5 years of guitar experience, I've completely changed how I view the guitar fretboard.

On the piano, everything's absolute, a C# is always that black key (maybe different octaves, but always that key). I used to think the guitar like that; a C# is aways that fret. Now, I think of the guitar in terms of scales where any fret can be "C#", just depends on where I start (and if I desire, I can even use a capo). The frets are all the same to me now; there's no longer C#, but leading tone (e.g. if I'm in D-major scale). It made guitar playing a lot quicker and very much more intuitive. I've only very recently started looking at it this way (like a couple months ago), but I've gained so much vs my previous 2 years.

Perhaps what I'm doing is wrong, and this is one of the reasons I post. There are some pro guitarists on this forum, and I like to read everybody's responses. My music background is weak, only during COVID did I really pick up playing.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

I became an online, one-to-one teacher with the first Covid lockdown in 2020. Through my You Tube channel I started getting requests, and one great guy from Atlanta acquainted me with "Zoom". which I still use.

I believe that most teachers sell a "suite" of so many sessions, some asking for payment in advance. This will ensure them of income and perhaps encourage clients to stay with them.

I don't do that.

I offer one hour sessions for which I ask $55 paid via Paypal AFTER each session.

At the end of each session, I ask my client if they would like to book the next, and we agree.
Whilst I recommend weekly sessions - it is for the client to decide.

I don't teach classical, or jazz, and minimise theory to - "as and when necessary".

We use songs (mutual choice) to teach technique that can then be applied to almost any song.
I also teach about posture, and singing.

I often spend as much as an hour before / after each session preparing and sending info by email.

Whilst I have to charge, I do not do this for an income - I only take one client a day.

At all times, expenditure, and frequency is totally within my client's control.

I have never, yet, met a new client who didn't choose to continue, apart from one who had a very sad family issue.

I believe that playing guitar is a hobby for most of us, and so learning should be FUN!

If this is of interest, maybe you might like to PM me.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

I actually can put onto paper what I hear. Two plusses for me are they I’ve played classical piano most of my life so I do know about key signatures and basic theory. Also I have perfect pitch so any note I hear, I automatically know what it is. What is hard for me so if I hear a C# for example, I can’t instantly find it on the fretboard. Also if the next note is an F, my mind does not think in terms of half or whole steps immediately. On the piano I just know where to find it. I would like to be this way on a guitar.
It will be eventually!
You just need to get used to how most notes occur in a few different places on the fretboard. The place you choose is dictated by (a) what other notes you're playing (how a whole phrase or chord sits best under the fingers), and (b) how different positions sound. I.e., sometimes one place is as easy/hard as another, but one will sound better because the notes are on thinner or thicker strings, so the tone is different.

Mastering the fretboard can take a while, but - IMO - you don't need specific lessons. Arm yourself with a fretboard map - such as https://imgur.com/gallery/RYyv1N7 - and work from chord shapes.
I.e., the fretboard is a 2D map, and chord shapes form musical links between notes, much more easily memorable than scale patterns. (Scale patterns are great for finger exercise and dexterity, of course.)

The so-called "CAGED" system is based on the open position shapes (between frets 0-3) used for those 5 major chords. If you run those shapes up the neck in that order, in an overlapping pattern (looping back to a "C" shape after the "D", you get the same chord (sound) in different positions. IOW, a 12-fret, 6-string major triad arpeggio, broken down into 5 playable shapes. And all 12 major chords have the same pattern, just shifted higher or lower on the neck (starting with a different shape).
E.g., here's the pattern for an A major chord: https://imgur.com/a/qDxQm04 - the notes A-C#-E forming the five overlapping shapes named.

Again, you don't need lessons on CAGED, you just need to start investigating that 2D territory and plotting out chord arpeggios. (I taught myself the fretboard this way, without ever knowing it was a "system" . It's just common sense observation.)
Quote:
Also with classical music, we don’t often think in terms of modes or pentatonic scales. So that’s something I have to get used to.
Well, not necessarily!

First of all - not modes!. Guitar teaching is infected with a whole load of BS about modes - some of it correct, most of it not, most of it thoroughly misleading.
In short, if you don't have to think about modes on piano, you don't on guitar either. (I can't stress this enough )

Secondly - likewise with pentatonics. If pentatonics make sense on the guitar, they make just as much sense on piano.
Pentatonic scales happen to be good for improvising with, because they form strong melodic phrases even when played at random. So guitarists who know nothing about theory (and little about music! ) can get a lot of mileage out of them.
The one "guitaristic" thing about them (which you don't get on piano) is that pentatonic scale patterns (one of them at least) sit under the fingers easily. So, for the beginner guitar player its a win-win.

In blues too, melodies are close to the minor pentatonic scale - with some bending - which is why guitar makes such a good blues instrument. (You can't bend notes on a piano... ) And of course, rock music grew out of the blues. So: blues+rock+guitar+pentatonics form a tight little musical ghetto! Some players never leave that comfortable little home! (Many of them become extremely good players and improvisers, but many of them could not tell you what they are playing in correct theoretical terms...)

To answer your initial questions - I agree justinguitar is about the best guitar teaching site (very little of that mode BS I talked about). A lot of it is paid for, but there is also a lot of free material (and you can find excerpts on youtube). If you want more on jazz and improvisation, I'd recommend Jens Larsen: https://www.youtube.com/@JensLarsen/playlists

Last edited by JonPR; 04-08-2024 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I have played the piano my whole life so I am decently versed in theory. ...My goal is to master the fretboard in a way that I can view it as I see the piano keyboard. Basically where I can improv or if I have a tune in my head, I can immediately know which notes to play without trial and error.
If you want guitar taught as though it's a piano, I suggest the Mel Bay books.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I became an online, one-to-one teacher with the first Covid lockdown in 2020. Through my You Tube channel I started getting requests, and one great guy from Atlanta acquainted me with "Zoom". which I still use.

I believe that most teachers sell a "suite" of so many sessions, some asking for payment in advance. This will ensure them of income and perhaps encourage clients to stay with them.

I don't do that.

I offer one hour sessions for which I ask $55 paid via Paypal AFTER each session.

At the end of each session, I ask my client if they would like to book the next, and we agree.

I don't teach classical, or jazz, and minimise theory to - "as and when necessary".

We use songs (mutual choice) to teach technique that can then be applied to almost any song.

I often spend as much as an hour before / after each session preparing and sending info by email.

Whilst I have to charge, I do not do this for an income - I only take one client a day.

I have never, yet, met a new client who didn't choose to continue, apart from one who had a very sad family issue.

I believe that playing guitar is a hobby for most of us, and so learning should be FUN!

Do you teach acoustic, electric, or both? What levels and genres do you teach?
Old 04-28-2024, 10:33 AM

If you are interested in learning how to play through learning songs, I can think of 2 good ones (for me anyway):

Andrew Lardner on Patreon - an excellent guitarist, good teacher. Provides video lessen and tabs at a very reasonable price.

Daddy Stovepipe - If you like finger style acoustic blues, this guy is great.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Do you teach acoustic, electric, or both? What levels and genres do you teach?
Hi Colchar, I teach acoustic and singing as necessary, so, no, not electric, classical or jazz.

Here's a video that I made a while ago, telling you most of what I offer.

I don't have a standard format, as I have realised that every one learns in a different way.

That is the benefit of one-to-one, as opposed to
pre-written courses is that we can adapt.

Also I don't ask for ANY commitment from my clients, one lesson at a time and book again the following week if you wish.

Please see this video :

I'd be delighted to meet up and see how I may help you.

Ol' Andy
Old 04-28-2024, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I don't do that.

I have watched a number of your youtube videos. Given the quality of these, if I were looking for online "live" lessons, you would definitely be on my short list.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write