The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Default Monel Sanity Check

Been using Monels on my D-28 for about a year now and have been very happy with the combination. Due for a change today so I thought I'd go back to PB to sanity check my preference for Monels. Since I was fully acclimated to the Monel sound, thought I would have a fresh perspective on the bronze strings.

Full disclosure, I am using these in a context of flat picking instrumental American and Irish fiddle tunes with a little new grass/dawg thrown in. Guitar in question is a standard D-28 played with a 2.5mm flatpick.

Tell the difference right off the bat. Monels are punchy and fundamental, PB's are more lush. Playing leads I got a bit more clarity and focus from the Monels although the PB treble B and E were a bit sweeter sounding. In playing rhythm, the lush sound of the PB and the overtones made a somewhat fuller sound than Monels. The PB's seemed a bit louder but that could be that the Monels had been on for several months. The Monels feel a bit better under the fingers, softer and more pliable.

My conclusion? Pretty much a toss up depending on what you are going to do. If I was mainly doing lead lines, I'd go Monels. If I was doing more rhythm, probably go PB. I do feel I was hearing more guitar and less strings with Monels so I guess as long as you like the guitar, either may work. Monels last much, much longer but that doesn't matter much since I don't mind doing changes and the cost saving is insignificant compared to playing satisfaction.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Default String buzz after string change

edited - wrong thread
Voyage Air VAOM-02
Old 08-07-2016, 03:48 PM

HHP - good description and mirrors my experience with Monels too although I tried D'Addario NB's after 12 months of Monels on the same guitar.

To me, the NB's are considerably louder and fit somewhere in-between Monels and PB's tone wise.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
HHP - good description and mirrors my experience with Monels too although I tried D'Addario NB's after 12 months of Monels on the same guitar.

To me, the NB's are considerably louder and fit somewhere in-between Monels and PB's tone wise.
I agree. I play a lot of bluesy stuff and nickels get me where I want to be. I use JPs now because they are better than monels right out of the box, but a week or so in they are probably equal. The NBs are brighter, might be good on a guitar that's normally subdued, but PBs and Elixirs might do that job better. I do like the NBs though. I think it's good to rotate string types at times.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion