The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 08:58 PM

Default Taylor GT-6 Versions

Hi all,

My name is Ray and I'm a med student/hobbyist fingerstyle guitar player. I'm a frequent reader of AGF and firstly, I just want to say: you guys are amazing! The community and collective knowledge here consistently blows my mind. I'm always really impressed by not only how much content expertise people have but how generous people are in sharing it.

I'm thinking about buying the Taylor GT-6 baritone. I currently play an Alvarez ABT-60, which was a stellar intro to baritones, but the narrow nut width (I play fingerstyle) and the fact that it doesn't sound particularly balanced (A and D equivalent strings ring much louder than low E) make me want to upgrade.

I think the Taylor GT-6 is a stellar candidate because of the nut width, rosewood body (I think it pairs well although I'm a bit afraid there will be *too* much harmonics) and string balance.

I'm particularly price sensitive being a grad student and I've searched almost every guitar shop for this and it isn't showing up locally, so I don't think I have a chance to try it. Thus, relying on the internet.

I've found the demos at the Fellowship of the Acoustics to be fairly helpful. But the two demos of the two GT-6s (one from 2011 and one from 2001) sound night and day:

2001:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9hlw6aTc0

2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4wbqBwtyHs

To my ear, the 2001 one sounds much better, having much more sustain and harmonics in the bass registers. Is this a version control issue? To your knowledge, did Taylor change anything from 2001 to 2011 in the GT-6?

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:52 AM

Default help?

anyone have any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion