The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 06:51 PM

Default Where to purchase genuine CF Martin pickguards?

While at a GC today buying strings, picks and such... I decided to buy a tortoise pickguard for one of my 000 guitars.
I then wandered over to the on-site tech working on a OM/000 Martin guitar, I don't know the model.
The tortoise pickguard on the Martin just blew away the store brand one in my hand.
He said they don't sell them but if you call Martin with a model number then they will sell you one? He thinks?
Anyone have experience with this or know of a store that does sell them?
Google is just full of sites with crappy pickguards that claim to fit Martin guitars.
I would prefer the real deal like on the 000-18.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:03 PM

Try CF Martin...

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitar-m...se-detail.html
Old 12-30-2015, 08:20 PM

Funny enough, I just aske CFM about this.

I need a pickguard for my OM-21 so I checked their online store, only dread size guards available. I wrote to their Customer Service email address just before Christmas and they wrote me back yesterday. They said that for sizes other than what is online I would have to contact a Martin Authorized Sercive Center.

I'm not sure but perhaps the OM guards need to be cut specifically for your guitar/model since the rosette's are all different? Dunno yet, haven't got around to research any more but if I learn anything new I'll post.

akhan
Old 12-30-2015, 09:19 PM

I was just going to chime in that going to an authorized Martin dealer is your best bet. I've bought genuine Martin pickguards from those stores many times, but all that any of them seem to keep in stock are dreadnought-sized.

For something a little less common, like an OM pickguard, you'd probably need to order it through a dealer. It would still be reasonably priced, though, unlike what Gibson charges for THEIR pickguards: I once called Gibson headquarters looking to buy a firestripe J-45 pickguard, and was told I'd have to buy one from an authorized Gibson dealer and pay $75 for it.

Uh, no, thank you....

Anyway, call around to the Martin dealers within a reasonable driving distance of your home, and see what they've got on hand and what they'd be willing to order for you.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 PM

What about CF Martin's the Guitar Maker's Connection on North St in Nazareth?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O1218 View Post
What about CF Martin's the Guitar Maker's Connection on North St in Nazareth?
That's the link chitz provided for us above. Dreadnought size only.

whm
Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the replies.
IF I decide to keep the guitar then I will make my own.
I have the ability, time, and tools.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 PM

I was able to find a new, original Martin 000 tort pickguard on Reverb.com.....just a thought
Old 12-30-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Thanks for the replies.
IF I decide to keep the guitar then I will make my own.
I have the ability, time, and tools.
In that case yer "raw materials" could be one of those readily available genuine Martin dread pick guards.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I'm not sure that's what the OP wants. Some of the stuff from the Guitar Makers Connection is discontinued or blemished parts. Most of they tortoise guards they sell there are the older vinyl guards - not the nice new Delmar material used on current production 000-18's. Last I checked, they were charging over $50 for the celluloid Delmar guards. Because celluloid is considered a hazardous material, it is very expensive to buy and ship in small quantities. Good looking celluloid is difficult to source cheaply.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm3ohana View Post
I was able to find a new, original Martin 000 tort pickguard on Reverb.com.....just a thought
Actually I saw that or one similar it said 000, but the dimensions listed were dread size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
In that case yer "raw materials" could be one of those readily available genuine Martin dread pick guards.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:00 AM

Both Stew-Mac and LMII carry peel and stick pickguard material in sheets... some real cool patterns. It is easy to work with.... cut it with a scissors, smooth and bevel the edges with sandpaper, peel and stick.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 AM

I have bought a few on ebay from this guy. He was really good about sending me a new one when I couldn't get the right fit. I think these are the real deal (Delmar). http://www.ebay.com/bhp/martin-pickguard
Old 12-31-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That's the link chitz provided for us above. Dreadnought size only.
Bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I'm not sure that's what the OP wants. Some of the stuff from the Guitar Makers Connection is discontinued or blemished parts. Most of they tortoise guards they sell there are the older vinyl guards - not the nice new Delmar material used on current production 000-18's. Last I checked, they were charging over $50 for the celluloid Delmar guards. Because celluloid is considered a hazardous material, it is very expensive to buy and ship in small quantities. Good looking celluloid is difficult to source cheaply.
$50 for a pickguard?!!! wow!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion