The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Default split in the top - how deep

How do I tell if a split in the top of my guitar is only in the varnish or spreading deeper into the wood? I have a humidifier and use it religiously. The split does not seem to be opening up wider. If feels almost smooth to the touch. But when I asked this question of my local shop owner all he said is "keep an eye on it". Really?! DUH!!! No help whatsoever. I need to know when to get it in for repair. It is behind the bridge and moves down to the bottom of the guitar. It is NOT moving over the edge or down the side.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Get a mirror in there and see if the crack goes all the way through.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:35 PM

Default Top crack

#1) Yes, get an inspection mirror and check from the inside.

#2) If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find a good luthier.

#3) Find a different shop to deal with.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Guest 1928

There are two possibilities, a finish crack or a top crack. A finish crack is largely cosmetic and will not "spread" to the wood. A top crack IS all the way through. The wood is too thin to have a crack that doesn't pentrate from one side to the other. Cracks are often impossible to see from the inside due to the angle and the unfinished wood. To determine which you have, put a goodly amount of naphtha on the outside of the crack, then look inside with a mirror. If it is wet on the inside, you have a top crack. The naphtha will evaporate and will not cause the wood to swell or otherwise do any damage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion