The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2015, 03:14 PM

Default What a good acoustic guitar strings for a beginner?

I have only been playing the guitar for about 8 months. I bought a used Taylor 110 today and the guy told me the strings he has on are thick (and they are!). What strings would be good to put on the guitar "Light" ones?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutiarRookie16 View Post
I have only been playing the guitar for about 8 months. I bought a used Taylor 110 today and the guy told me the strings he has on are thick (and they are!). What strings would be good to put on the guitar "Light" ones?
Try a set of 12 to 54 (lights). They may be what's already on there. The guy could be an electric guitar player also who is used to using a much lighter gauge.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

If you're coming from an electric guitar, acoustic strings will likely feel thick and stiff. Most electrics come with .009-.010 gauge high E strings; most acoustics use .011-.013.

A dreadnaught like the Taylor 110 is going to be happiest (best sounding) with string sets starting at .012 (light) or .013 (medium). .012-.052, .012-.054, .013-.054 or .013-.056 are common. My favorite strings are by D'Addario and John Pearse.

It will take some getting used to, but the tonal benefits are significant compared to skinny strings. Make sure the guitar is set up comfortably (the action should be low enough for comfort and high enough that the strings don't buzz).
Old 12-29-2015, 04:07 PM

I would recommend you start with D'addario Phosphor Bronze Lights. They are the most common acoustic string, for good reason, good tone and playability. If you find these are still to stiff, you can go to lighter with a set of custom lights. if you find you loose some tone, you could step up to mediums, but they will be stiffer to play. There are also 80/20 strings (brighter) coated strings (long lasting, smoother, different sound), roundcore (more flexible), silk and steel (soft sounding), etc. But i always start with D'addario lights, and then go from there
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 12-29-2015, 04:11 PM

TMK the larger Taylors are designed to work - and still come from the factory - with medium-gauge (13-56) strings; assuming there's no problem with the action (have a tech check out the guitar if you haven't already) I'd stay with these - you'll get the best volume/tone from your guitar - and learn to work with them as part of the process...
Old 12-29-2015, 04:35 PM

Back in the olden days when I started playing guitar (sometime between The War of 1812 and the first Seminole War) the advice given to beginning guitarists was: "Start learning with light gauge strings, then once your hands get stronger and your calluses develop switch to mediums."

Since then there's been a genuine sea change in acoustic guitar playing, and light gauge strings have become the norm, to the point where many quite accomplished guitarists have never even tried mediums. So that old advice I was given is not as automatic as it once was.

It still makes sense, though - start with lights or custom lights of some kind, then if you want more volume and tone from the guitar, once you've become a more practiced player you can experiment with mediums.

Good luck with it. You've picked a nice starter guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-29-2015, 05:11 PM

I echo the recommendation for D'addario lights. It can be confusing to sift through string options early on - the EJ16 is the specific string that I'd use.

http://www.daddario.com/DADMobilePro...7&productid=74
Old 12-29-2015, 05:29 PM

Default strings for a beginner

Try silk and steel. They are easier on the fingers. Jeff B
Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM

Give some lights a try.

You can also do some research on low tension strings (easier to fret, easier to bend if you are doing any bends). Lights that are low tension might make a meaningful difference.

Coated strings can also reduce some of the friction on fingertips. But I'd say the light gauge and low tension are the more important variables.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:45 PM

I'm afraid sore fingers are a rite of passage. Every person here had or has them. The good thing is it doesn't last. I recommend you use whatever you have but take some breaks.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-29-2015, 05:50 PM

D'addario EJ-16.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I started with D'Addario "custom lights" (EJ26), which are .011", opposed to the .012 "lights" (EJ16). A small sacrifice in volume, but noticeably more comfortable.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
I echo the recommendation for D'addario lights. It can be confusing to sift through string options early on - the EJ16 is the specific string that I'd use.

http://www.daddario.com/DADMobilePro...7&productid=74
I'm a beginner and I use these on two different guitars.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-30-2015, 02:49 AM

I would suggest Elixir phosphor bronze lights. Your 110 should sound good with them and they should last a good long time. If for some reason they don't sound good to you then move to the D'addarios.

IMHO, of course.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:48 AM

I'd say it depends on what type of guitar style you are playing.

If it is purely fingerpicking then go for 11s. If it is flatpicking, most people prefer thicker strings than 11s. If it is just strumming, then it is a question of how much your left hand can handle/want to handle with fretting.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar strings, light strings, strings