The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Different types of laminate?

I have spent a lot of time researching this and searching and reading.

Is there any resource that would show what kind of laminates the different guitar company's use? Do they make their own, or buy it in sheets from a laminate supplier? Anyone have photos of laminate cross sections, or busted up guitars?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:11 PM

I can offer this... http://liutaiomottola.com/PrevPubs/Plywood/Plywood.htm
Old 12-28-2015, 09:13 PM

Not sure it makes a ton of difference, but I hear Taylor uses laminate made from solid veneer which unlike regular plywood, could make a difference tonally. In the end though, anyone concerned with tone, will need to get a well made, all solid acoustic. YMMV
Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 AM

According to the Seagull homepage "The back and sides of the Original series models are made from a three-layer lamination of Wild Cherry wood.". I was talking to someone last year and they thought that all laminate guitars were cheap plywood or pressed wood - this isn't the case.

Last edited by Dru Edwards; 12-29-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Not sure it makes a ton of difference, but I hear Taylor uses laminate made from solid veneer which unlike regular plywood, could make a difference tonally. In the end though, anyone concerned with tone, will need to get a well made, all solid acoustic. YMMV
Taylor uses a thin decorative veneer over a solid core of poplar. (100/200 series, Mini etc)

Most of the southeast Asian imports use a veneer over Luan or other cheap wood.

Seagull/Godin uses 3 laminations of cherry. I believe the laminations are equal thickness.

The old Guild archbacks used three layers where the middle layer was mahogany. Again the laminations were of equal thickness, or fairly close.

Back when Tacoma was in business they used laminate sides for several years because they were able to bend the cutaways without cracking. My Roadking for example has a solid top and back but laminate sides.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 PM

There are excellent examples of laminate guitars. A solid top is very important, but budget can lead some in the direction of laminate back and sides. You'll miss some overtones, but they can still be wonderful instruments.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 09:30 PM

Every major company/factory has or has had laminate guitars. All of them have different woods/combinations, different styles, different sizes - and all have made outstanding guitars. Many (more than ever) continue to do so. Regardless of continent, country, woods... so I have seen little, or no, combination that stands out from another. Just like with solids- Mahogany, Rosewood, Cherry, Walnut.... I believe, it's in the guitar design and manufacture not the specific wood(s). A great guitar can, and has been, be made from 2x4's - so it's not in a specific wood or laminate - it's the hands/factory/style/system of the manufacturer.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Guest316

I've long been a fan of K. Yairi and own a 1977 model Conquistador classical (I got it new in 1978). This and many other Yairi instruments have back and sides that use a 2 layer parallel grain laminate that enhances tone considerably. I believe the tone from these 2-layer backs match a solid back - I know the Yairi is easily a match for my Gibson, which, as you know, is the king of all guitars. There's a few high-end luthiers that use the same method on some instruments: Tim McKnight is rumored to be one along with others of his level.

Here's the back of the Conquistador:

Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
A great guitar can, and has been, be made from 2x4's - so it's not in a specific wood or laminate - it's the hands/factory/style/system of the manufacturer.
Can you give an example? A great guitar made from 2X4's? If your referencing Taylor's pallet guitar? From what I have heard, it was far less than great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
There's a few high-end luthiers that use the same method on some instruments: Tim McKnight is rumored to be one along with others of his level.
Rumored? That's beneath the standards of this forum.

............Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 12-29-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Can you give an example? A great guitar made from 2X4's? If your referencing Taylor's pallet guitar? From what I have heard, it was far less than great.Mike
Yes. As an example. I've actually seen a couple and played one - it was excellent. You may have heard incorrectly. You might read here -

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=69310 Then you can say you heard differently.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 12-29-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:20 PM

Yes, I read correctly, only one poster said they sounded good.
........Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 09:19 AM

With Taylor, for instance, they use a laminate dome construction for the back which adds enough rigidity to not require any back braces. That coupled with the stability and resiliency of that construction makes for a very good sounding reliable guitar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Back when Tacoma was in business they used laminate sides for several years because they were able to bend the cutaways without cracking. My Roadking for example has a solid top and back but laminate sides.
A Somogyi also has solid top and back with laminate sides - along with Mike Baranik and many other very high-end luthiers. It's got nothing to do with ease of bending - it's to provide a very rigid rim to support the acoustically active top and back.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
A Somogyi also has solid top and back with laminate sides - along with Mike Baranik and many other very high-end luthiers. It's got nothing to do with ease of bending - it's to provide a very rigid rim to support the acoustically active top and back.
Thank you. As usual, when it comes to incredibly complex machines like acoustic guitars, no issue is either simple or straight forward.

Steve
Old 12-30-2015, 12:08 PM

Default different types of laminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
I went back and read this article and found this interesting update at the end:

10/07 - By far the best sounding steel string flat top acoustic guitar I've heard to date used laminated back and ribs.

Now that's interesting! Jeff B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion