The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 02:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Mustapick Guitars?

Morning all,

Does anyone know what has happened to Matt Mustapick (Mustapick Guitars)?

I just looked up his site to post in the What guitar would you most like to play that you haven't already? thread, and saw that his website appears to be no more.

I've always been intrigued by his styling and aesthetics, and the sound of the instruments I've heard online, but have never come across one 'in the flesh' to actually play for myself.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

you might find out info thru Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, Ca

Mathew used to live near by and the shop knew him well.

Now that you mention it, I haven't saw mention of him in a while on the forum-his instruments always seemed really nice.

d
Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
I've always been intrigued by his styling and aesthetics, and the sound of the instruments I've heard online, but have never come across one 'in the flesh' to actually play for myself.
Same here. I remember speaking with Matt about some design ideas for a guitar I was hoping to order, and he was just the nicest guy. I hope he's still out there doing his thing
Old 11-22-2015, 02:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
you might find out info thru Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, Ca

Mathew used to live near by and the shop knew him well.

Now that you mention it, I haven't saw mention of him in a while on the forum-his instruments always seemed really nice.

d
Thanks, Daryl,

I'll give Sylvan Music a shout.

Cheers,
David

wolframslides.com
Old 11-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Last time I talked to him he said he wasn't taking any more commissions. And his website stopped getting updates. A friend of mine had a Brazilian OM multi scale of his, which is nearly identical to the Mustapick I used to own. I think he's trying to sell if you are interested.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

At the Healdsburg guitar festival a few years back one of Matt's guitars was my favorite at the show that I had a chance to play.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-22-2015, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Last time I talked to him he said he wasn't taking any more commissions. And his website stopped getting updates. A friend of mine had a Brazilian OM multi scale of his, which is nearly identical to the Mustapick I used to own. I think he's trying to sell if you are interested.
Thanks Juston,

It's a shame that he's no longer building. I'd be interested in any information on that OM, but being Brazilian I don't think it would be feasible to get it over to the UK...

Cheers,
David

wolframslides.com
Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Guitargal.com shows a use Baritone in stock-not sure if that might interest you.

http://www.guitargal.com/collections...duran-rosewood
Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
Morning all,

Does anyone know what has happened to Matt Mustapick (Mustapick Guitars)?

I just looked up his site to post in the What guitar would you most like to play that you haven't already? thread, and saw that his website appears to be no more.

Cheers,
David
Likewise - one of his fanfretted, bevelled guitars - possibly a baritone - has been on my bucket list for years now. Like you, this is based on aesthetics and sound clips. I also was just looking up his website and then stumbled across this thread whilst trying to find out the story.

A sad loss to the world of lutherie. Hope he's ok and finding happiness in whatever direction he's gone in (maybe back to the IT/hi-tech world?)

Dan
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 12-16-2015, 11:17 AM

Matt had a wonderful sense of aesthetic. I remember literally drooling over the looks of one of his instruments.

I hope the guitar world hears from him again. I seem to remember him posting that he was temporarily leaving the business but that he'd be back at a later date. Anyone remember that?

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 12-30-2015, 05:19 PM

Default Mustapick Guitars?

would agree matt is/was one of the most agreeable makers in the trade and at a time one of the few who would deliver on feature—multiscale, bevels, wedges, etc.—at a scale somewhat available to mortals. the fit and finish still ranks among best in class and the visual integration is transcending.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 12-31-2015 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Selling on the forum only by Charter Members in the Classifieds Section
Old 12-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefultree View Post
heads up for this gang of mustapick fans and torch carriers — i’ve put my fully-modded mustapick #50 on consigment at dream guitars (along w. a forster guit-zouk to post on the site later this week). a real gobsmack kit, just the usual story of unwinding old grails to go after new. matt’s referenced this and some of its sister instruments in a couple of threads here on AGF. strummed has a shimmer that's unique and powerful among the millions of guitars out there and otherwise i think the DG writeup and player comments speak well for it. apologies if this crosses streams w. marketplace discussion, but appears that ice has been broken already on this thread.

would agree matt is/was one of the most agreeable makers in the trade and at a time one of the few who would deliver on feature—multiscale, bevels, wedges, etc.—at a scale somewhat available to mortals. the fit and finish still ranks among best in class and the visual integration is transcending.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/5...ick_aurora_50/
thanks for the joining the fold, enjoy the place to the max. stick those guitars in the classifieds ASAP and let us check'm out.
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 12-30-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Matt is an excellent human. I believe I played Justin's OM at Healdsburg (bear claw Sitka?) and it was excellent. That baritone has a nice sound clip.

Hope Matt is well.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

If anyone needs to get in touch with Matt, they should send him a friend request on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/matt.mustapick?fref=ts

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion