The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Re-hashed question

Hello,

I see this is a highly debated topic, adding a sound hole pickup. Opinions vary a lot. My question is: Will a small Fishman sound hole pickup affect the acoustic sound of my Yamaha FG 700S much when the guitar is not attached to amplifier. In other words when just playing it as a acoustic guitar? Thanks

Bigjoedo
Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Guest 213

As the literalists love to chant: "EVERYTHING affects the sound."

However, unless you have the most sensitive hearing on the planet (such as the people who claim they can hear when a string on their guitar is 1 cent off), I doubt you would hear any difference with a soundhole pickup. Now, an under-saddle pickup is a different story (sometimes).

Last edited by Guest 213; 05-08-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar and clarification
Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
As the literalists love to chant: "EVERYTHING affects the sound."

However, unless you the most sensitive hearing on the planet (such as the people who claim they can hear when a string on their guitar is 1 cent off), I doubt you would hear any difference with a soundhole pickup. Now, an under-saddle pickup is a different story.
I agree with Jon on this: I doubt there'd be much of a discernible difference. And as to whether an undersaddle transducer (UST) pickup will affect the tone, that depends on what sort of UST it happens to be. Some of the thicker undersaddle pickups will affect the tone, but the thinner, lighter USTs like the Fishman, Baggs and K&K shouldn't cause any noticeable tonal changes - not on a robustly-built factory guitar, anyway.

But to reiterate, you can put a soundhole pickup in your Yamaha and it probably won't change the acoustic sound much if at all when you play the guitar unplugged.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!!

Bigjoedo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion