The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM

Default New to the site. Need some advice

Hello all! My name is Alex. I am currently interested in buying a guitar, but I need some help.

I currently play the charango. I'm currently living in Bolivia and have had classes. So I got the fingerstyle or fingerpicking down. I've grown my nails to a comfortable level, not to long, to play the instrument. I use the thumb for the 5th and 4th strings, index for 3rd, middle for 2nd, and ring for the first string.

So I want to learn the guitar and mostly strum songs and play the blues. So for the blues there are many bends, hammer ons, pull offs, and tremolo. I've been told that for most of that I should buy an acoustic guitar with steel strings. The problem is that here in Bolivia there are mosty classical or spanish guitars with the nylon string.

I wish to continue fingerpicking if i buy a guitar, steel or nylon stringed. Does anyone here fingerpick on steel strings? If I buy a nylon string guitar will the blues sound different? Or can I do the same effects on the nylon string without any problems?

Any response is greatly appriciated!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Welcome. I would use whatever kind of guitar you have access to. And yes, a LOT of people here fingerpick on steel string guitars. But, there is nothing wrong with fingerstyle on nylon strings too. Classical and Spanish styles are frequently played on nylon. Blues will definitely sound different on nylon... it won't be quite as loud or sassy. Nylon has different sustain qualities... they won't ring as long. But, you can certainly do it and practice the same techniques. I started on a nylon-string guitar and played it for years before switching to steel. Play whatever you can and play it a lot!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Thanks for your reply. I really want to learn the guitar as well increase my knowledge of the charango. I want to learn to make music. When I was in fourth and fifth grade I learned violin and clarinet, respectively. I was even first chair with the clarinet. I really regret not taking band and pursuing the clarinet through high school, right now I would have been able to play an instument, very well, and be able to read music.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Well, you can't change the past, but you can change the future. So, play as much as you can and learn as much as you can.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

i fingerpick on steel strings, and i love how it sounds.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM

An artist can use the tools of his or her choosing.

IMO blues means steel string, but I could be wrong.

For your listening pleasure Pat Donohue plays "Spike Driver Blues", a song associated with Mississippi John Hurt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWwMkCgSSco

I believe that every artist on the list at the following link played a steel-string guitar:

http://www.allmusic.com/explore/styl...es-d42/artists

Many blues artists favor the resonator guitar. One I saw and enjoyed many times when I lived in L.A. is Doug MacLeod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCEfaeH0Iik (Fast forward to the 2:05 mark. )

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Last edited by bluesbassdad; 01-31-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 AM

Default Classical guitar

It is certainly possible to play blues on a classical guitar. Blues is about feelings, not technique. Yes, it probably sounds more 'bluesy' on steel strings, but they are not a requirement. If I were to advise you, it would be to play blues on whatever you can get your hands on.

If you want a steel string guitar, look around eBay or the guitars for sale on this forum.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 AM

Foolio,

I play everything on nylon string guitars. For the blues, get a flamenco setup (not classical)... low and fast, as loud as you can find, punchy sound with not a lot of sustain.

I recently got my first steel string... very nice guitar (Eastman E10P), but I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not. The best thing about it is that when playing with others who have steel strings I can now be heard. My fingers definitely prefer nylon strings and wider necks!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Look at Willie Nelson. He plays everything on that beat up electrified nylon Martin. If he can do it, so can you Foolio!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion