The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which brand do you like the most?
Eastman 137 36.44%
Larrivee 239 63.56%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Default Eastman vs. Larrivee

For those people have EXPERIENCE ON BOTH guitar brands, which one do you like the most in terms of the tone, quality and playability??

Last edited by mrkpower; 11-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Larrivees have a subtle elegance and a solid feel that I love. Also appreciate their overall playability and balanced tone. Can't speak to a comparison with Eastmans since I've never played one....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Don't own a Larrivee but the one's I tried sounded too "woody" to me. Love my Eastman AC412.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Have played and owned both. Eastman and Larrivee are both great guitars, but I would choose Larrivee every time.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Ive played both and while Larrvee's are no doubt quality instruments I find the tone to be somewhat ....boring.

Eastmans to me seem to have a bit more mojo and soul in their tone.

Of course that could be just me as a lot of it is in the fingers but for a hack like me I found Eastmans to have a tone I can get more inspired by.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

I liked the 2 Larrivees I owned.

When I was interested in Eastman a query by email and phone did not answer questions Larrivee answered about their treatment of employees and environment. Pretty simple answer for me - an importer of stuff from China who can't answer simple questions or a family owned business who answered how they handle people and toxic materials in their US and Canadian locations. Next came a great Larrivee dread and OM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 AM

My sample is pretty limited, but I like my E10D more than the 4 or 5 Larrivees I played. I was impressed with the fit and finish and overall quality of the Larrivees, but the tone did not grab me. To be fair, my experience with them was pretty much in a single sitting and some of them clearly had old strings -- a different day and different conditions and I might have a different impression, even of the same instruments. Larrivee is clearly a great company that's worth supporting, but the handful of instruments I've played haven't pushed the right buttons for me. (One I did really like was a JCL Anniversary L model ... that one was really, really nice).
Old 11-11-2011, 10:25 AM

I voted Larrivee (and with my feet, too), but it's really a toss-up. I'm really enamored with my Larrivee, but Eastman offers a quality guitar at a very reasonable price. And the cool thing about Eastmans is that they have their very own tone.

I was blown away by the Eastman E20OM I played, but I fell in love with the Larrivee neck and balanced woody sound. Just suits me perfect. It may be the intangibles like that will help you choose between the two.

My next guitar will likely either be a Larrivee 00 or the new Eastman ET5-SS small-body. I too will have trouble deciding.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 11-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

When I was interested in Eastman a query by email and phone did not answer questions Larrivee answered about their treatment of employees and environment. Pretty simple answer for me - an importer of stuff from China who can't answer simple questions or a family owned business who answered how they handle people and toxic materials in their US and Canadian locations. Next came a great Larrivee dread and OM.
You called a guitar company and asked what they do with toxic waste to base your decision on buying a guitar? Maybe greenpeace needs to start building instruments.

Tonewise, which IMO is the number one factor in making a guitar purchase, Eastman wins between the two for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Own both. Love both. Voiced very differently.

Larrivees tend to have clarity and a fundamental tone with sweet trebles, while the Eastmans tend to have more bass, volume, and harmonic content.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 11-11-2011, 01:46 PM

I'm going to have to Google "too woody" and get back with you.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM

That cracked me up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbazil View Post
I'm going to have to Google "too woody" and get back with you.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJO View Post
My sample is pretty limited, but I like my E10D more than the 4 or 5 Larrivees I played. I was impressed with the fit and finish and overall quality of the Larrivees, but the tone did not grab me. To be fair, my experience with them was pretty much in a single sitting and some of them clearly had old strings -- a different day and different conditions and I might have a different impression, even of the same instruments. Larrivee is clearly a great company that's worth supporting, but the handful of instruments I've played haven't pushed the right buttons for me. (One I did really like was a JCL Anniversary L model ... that one was really, really nice).
What makes the JCL so special, than other L series?? Is the bracing different?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
What makes the JCL so special, than other L series?? Is the bracing different?
I don't know, honestly. It's supposed to be a kind of reissue of the early Ls that Larrivee made, but I don't know any of the specifics about what's different. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
...Pretty simple answer for me - an importer of stuff from China who can't answer simple questions or a family owned business who answered how they handle people and toxic materials in their US and Canadian locations. Next came a great Larrivee dread and OM.
Wow, that blew my mind! While I respect this position, I would never think of contacting the company with these questions. I would buy the guitar based on sound and comfort. If I could not decide, perhaps I would add some more factors, like American or foreign made or resale value. But contacting the company with questions about toxic materials and employee's treatment... that sure is an extra step!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion